Seriously F--- Vals - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Vals dont do well in my tanks either. I have tried many different types and they all just sit there.
I had heard that they like hard water- maybe that's why they dont do well. My water is too soft.
It frustrates me too because its such a perfect plant for discus and altum angels.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Might want to try them if wanting a low growing foreground plant.
I went to narrow leaf chain sword and with proper light and ferts it when jungle on me very quickly. Since I moved that tank upstairs and it doesn't get as much attention and has been completely taken over by red root floaters and Brazilian pennywort blocking out most of the light - it's been dying back quite a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, floaters can be great, but they sure do have to be kept thinned or that will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Vals dont do well in my tanks either. I have tried many different types and they all just sit there.
I had heard that they like hard water- maybe that's why they dont do well. My water is too soft.
It frustrates me too because its such a perfect plant for discus and altum angels.
I'm growing it at 2 KH like mad. Happy to gift you some young ones with good roots.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

Same here. Back in the 80's when i lived at another house (Well water), I could grow vals without trying. Use to sell bunches of them back to the local fish store. Fast forward to present and a few houses (Still well water) later and I can't grow vals worth a [censored][censored][censored][censored]e. I tried everything including thrive low tech different lights and durations, root tabs. Added Co2 and most of my other plants are doing well but the vals just fail to grow past 6". They reproduce tiny little bonsai vals also. It has to be something in my water, to little of one thing or to much of another. Kind of frustrating since since a jungle tank of val looks good despite my lack of aquascaping talent. I just keep trying different plants to see what thrives and what does not. I may be paying for Dustins new green house one plant order at a time.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Yeah, floaters can be great, but they sure do have to be kept thinned or that will happen.

I'm growing it at 2 KH like mad. Happy to gift you some young ones with good roots.
Really?

There goes that theory- lol!

I would love some plantlets from you.

I would insist on paying for shipping, at least.
evil8 likes this.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

I do have some vals in my tank that I wanted to try out but I would say there are better and more interesting options for a similar looking tall background plant.

Some may be slower growers and do better with CO2 though.

Cryptocoryne retrospiralis (the curly grassy plant in back)

46 gallon bowfront aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Cryptocoryne balansae (the pleated leaved plant across the back)

My old 29 gallon planted aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Cryptocoryne spiralis (the bright green plant in the back center)

Corydoras Aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Cyperus helferi (the green grassy plant in the back center)

My old 29 gallon planted aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Aponogeton longiplumulosus (center ruffled dark green plant in left tank below) or Aponogeton crispus (center ruffled light green plant in right tank below)

Planted 46 and 36 gallon bowfront tanks. by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

All my vals are Excel proof now. I use Excel, Potash, root tabs, and Easy Green and eventually all of them went from nubs to 5 foot plants and shooting of runners like crazy.

The Green Stuff
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 on @Triport's suggestions for other plants. I had a tankful of beautiful val, but it literally took over with 4' leaves blocking light to everything else, and runners popping up all over the tank daily--including in the middle of other prized plants. Trimming the leaves didn't work well as the cut leaves tended to die back & look like hell. Got tired of the nonstop maintenance, so ripped it all out so I could replace it with something that would be less work

Had trouble sourcing tall apongetons like A capuronii & A crispus, but finally managed to get a hold of some bulbs. It's only been a few days, but already they're sprouting leaves & roots, so hopeful they'll do well for me. Also got some Crinum calimistratum plants that already have some tall leaves, and it seems to like its new surroundings. Let us know if you find a val that does well for you, or what other plants you end up using instead. Have you tried sagittaria yet?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 PM
Algae Grower

Vals were the biggest headache for me until we started using CO2. Then they became completely invasive.

On the other hand, we had the same frustrating experience with crypts in our most recent tank (just GROW, dangit!) So, yeah, I think the advice here that vals may just not be the plant for you at present is probably sound.

Not exactly my first project, but I'm doing something new and ambitious-for-me.

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by corykat.j View Post
Vals were the biggest headache for me until we started using CO2. Then they became completely invasive.

On the other hand, we had the same frustrating experience with crypts in our most recent tank (just GROW, dangit!) So, yeah, I think the advice here that vals may just not be the plant for you at present is probably sound.
Crypts can honestly take a full year to get established and really put on growth but once they do they are fantastic and can even get out of hand and require thinning.

Currently along with all my various Crypts and Aponogetons I am trying out Vallisneria spiralis 'Leopard' and Vallisneria gigantea 'Rubra'. We'll see how they do. So far the Leopard is pretty neat. Neither are in very high light tanks so I am not sure how red they will get but they are currently a nice color.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode