Flame moss question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flame moss question

So I know flame moss grows upward like a grass, but I was wondering if it would also grow sideways and cover more area horizontally as well??? At least enough to cover the steel mesh sticking out a bit on the sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It can if you give it some help, mostly upward growth, but bottom growth will branch outward to reach more light... so a little manual persuasion is needed to get it spread horizontally.

Weekly Doses - NO3 - 5ppm / K - 6ppm / PO4 - 0.5ppm / PPS-Pro Micro's - 0.35ppm Fe / 75 PAR, 7 hours, 25% weekly water change
My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
It can if you give it some help, mostly upward growth, but bottom growth will branch outward to reach more light... so a little manual persuasion is needed to get it spread horizontally.
And how would I persuade it to grow horizontally? Lol

Also, what other mosses will spread out horizontally and cover an area, with exception to java moss???

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-09-2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I haven't taken it up to see how much it's spread laterally at substrate level, but above it, hookeriaceae moss certainly spreads out almost as much as up.

Snail Glades,
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
I haven't taken it up to see how much it's spread laterally at substrate level, but above it, hookeriaceae moss certainly spreads out almost as much as up.
Thank you for the response, what about Christmas moss or peacock moss? Would either of those grow out horizontally? I’m trying to cover the tops of a few rocks and possibly have it drape over a bid too...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

The peacock moss and fissidens fontanus I had several years ago grew out horizontally but not remarkably so, even near the surface of an injected-CO2 tank. I think weeping moss might have been better, but I'm not sure.

Is spiky moss too large for your rocks?

FWIW, I'm looking for a moss that spreads out on high-angle surfaces without extending too far away from those surfaces.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The peacock moss and fissidens fontanus I had several years ago grew out horizontally but not remarkably so, even near the surface of an injected-CO2 tank. I think weeping moss might have been better, but I'm not sure.

Is spiky moss too large for your rocks?

FWIW, I'm looking for a moss that spreads out on high-angle surfaces without extending too far away from those surfaces.
My rocks are fairly big, they are decent size slabs or seiryu stone with notches and crevices in them which the moss I would think would attach itself nicely too over time. For now, I just can’t stand the unnatural look of the steel mesh being visible from the sides. The moss(Flame) is new, I just put it in the tank today. So it’s not big and bushy yet. I want it to grow out enough so the mesh isn’t visible. The 3x3in mesh only covers maybe 2/3rds of the top of the stone. I would it to cover up the whole top of the stone over time. Maybe I should just wait it out and see what’s happens??? I do run pressurized Co2 as well. I do also like the look of the weeping moss. It would look nice draping over the stone top where the two cave openings are..any thoughts?

As for moss that can grow on high ankles, I think Christmas moss or possible Taiwan moss. You can sandwich them between too pieces of mess and then use fishing line to attach to the surface. I’ve read of people doing that to make a vertical wall on the back of their tanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would be tempted to remove the moss from the mesh, then, during a water change, superglue small patches separated by say 5mm over the area I want to cover. That should encourage the patches to grow together.

Theoretically, you might be able to take long strands of flame moss, glue them to the rocks horizontally, and then cut them into several sections with a razor blade. They could then start growing from both ends of each section, yielding multiple vertical strands.

Again, that's only theory. Maybe some of our moss experts can confirm.

Snail Glades,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would be tempted to remove the moss from the mesh, then, during a water change, superglue small patches separated by say 5mm over the area I want to cover. That should encourage the patches to grow together.

Theoretically, you might be able to take long strands of flame moss, glue them to the rocks horizontally, and then cut them into several sections with a razor blade. They could then start growing from both ends of each section, yielding multiple vertical strands.

Again, that's only theory. Maybe some of our moss experts can confirm.
Yeah I think I will remove the steel mesh because it also has green plastic mesh attached the moss itself and then that mesh is attached to the steel mesh. With the plastic mess being more flexible, I think I could use that with fishing line to have tied very snug to the rock. With the steel mesh is doesn’t contour the the rock and there are gaps between the mesh and the rock. Myself being somewhat of a perfectionist, seeing those gaps and the steel shining in the light drives me crazy!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode