Dwarf lily send out floating leaf - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf lily send out floating leaf

I have a dwarf red lily for about a month and it is already sending a stalk with a folding leaf at top. I read that you must cut it off to prevent floating leaf formation or else it will send out more.

How soon should I cut it off? Will it be too late if I wait until it is an inch from the surface but before opening up.

Once the floating leaf open up, will the submerged leaves begin to die off? Is there a way to put the genre back to the box, in other words, is there a way to rejuvenate it to start over again.

The stalk rises rather quickly and I am afraid that if I am away for two week vacation, it will reach the top and be too late for me to control it. Is there a way to slow it down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lilies produce flowers on lily pads at the surface of the water. The plant itself will continue to produce leaves but once it has a taste of fresh air, it will do anything and everything to get leaves to the surface. I would cut it off now if you don't want lily pads. No, you cannot slow it down unless you don't provide adequate nutrients but then the whole plant will die.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

You should cut it off a$ap rocky.
Also. By providing high light it may choose to form submerged leaves. Besides that nothing can stop it from wanting to reach the surface once it does

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Lilies produce flowers on lily pads at the surface of the water. The plant itself will continue to produce leaves but once it has a taste of fresh air, it will do anything and everything to get leaves to the surface. I would cut it off now if you don't want lily pads. No, you cannot slow it down unless you don't provide adequate nutrients but then the whole plant will die.
I am wondering doing WC and exposing the plant to air would trigger it to send out stalk as if it has tasted fresh air.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you want it to stay low, chop the leaf off now. If you want a mix of leaves, and the tank is big enough, have two lillies - chop off all the floating leaves on one and not the other and then you'll have one doing each
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
If you want it to stay low, chop the leaf off now. If you want a mix of leaves, and the tank is big enough, have two lillies - chop off all the floating leaves on one and not the other and then you'll have one doing each
I just cut it today as the leaf has just unfolded within an inch from the water surface. Hope it’s not too late. It appears to sense that reaching the water surface is imminent.

I have two lilies planted right next to each other, and may end up doing what you said whether I want it or not. Judging from the rate of rise of the stalk, it will reach the surface in a week and I will be taking a 2 week vacation soon. The floating leaves look cool and I would have loved it if not because they will block off light.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive got one in my 10g. Didnt know any better and let the leaves shoot to the top. Cut all 5 or 6 of them off. It slowed down after that but about a week later it shot another I caught at about 2", few days later another one, just cut my 3rd at about the same 2-3" point a few days after the last.

Once they take off they take off. Trim any vertical shooting branches morning before you take off and hopefully it wont be too bad by time you get home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode