Flamingo crypt - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flamingo crypt

I have been growing out some pink flamingo crypts in submerged form and am about ready to sell off a few plants each plant would have 4-5 leaves. What would be a good asking price for them; from what i have seen around they range from $20-$60 but it depends on what form they have been grown in. I live in canada and it is an extremely hard plant to come by in any form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would think you could sell them for $35 all day. Any pictures? I really want to get some of those plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here they are, all of them are lining the front of the plants. On my first propagation i got 15 plants off of the original 3, in the next month or two im going to be doing a second propergation on the bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190929_221454_149_1570505404382.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	887857  

varanidguy and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Harvey View Post
Here they are, all of them are lining the front of the plants. On my first propagation i got 15 plants off of the original 3, in the next month or two im going to be doing a second propergation on the bunch.

Absolutely beautiful! What conditions are you keeping them in? Fertilizers, parameters, substrate?

Id totally buy some from you if you were state side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't tested my parameters in the last little while but last i checked they were
Ph7
Temp 75
Ammonia and nitrite 0
Nitrate 30 ppm
Gh4
Kh 5
Substrate is just black sand with root tabs, fertilized with thrive 3 a week with liquid co2 (excel) everyday. 50% WC everyweek
Econde and varanidguy like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I haven't tested my parameters in the last little while but last i checked they were
Ph7
Temp 75
Ammonia and nitrite 0
Nitrate 30 ppm
Gh4
Kh 5
Substrate is just black sand with root tabs, fertilized with thrive 3 a week with liquid co2 (excel) everyday. 50% WC everyweek

No injected co2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nope no injected co2 as of yet, it is in the future plans though. The money that i make off of the sale of the crypts i am going to be putting towards a co2 system. So it will be liquid co2 for now
varanidguy likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Algae Grower

Nice! I just picked up a tissue culture cup for $20 at Aquashella Chicago little more than a week ago. I haven't seen much growth from them yet.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nope no injected co2 as of yet, it is in the future plans though. The money that i make off of the sale of the crypts i am going to be putting towards a co2 system. So it will be liquid co2 for now
Liquid CO2 = Pressurized CO2 (only state we can find liquid CO2 is within a pressurized bottle)

Excel / Metricide 14 (and others) = mild algaecide allowing the use of slightly stronger lights + helps break down protein films growing on plant leaves allowing them better access to atmospheric CO2 concentrations in the water.

For what it's worth, I live in Canada and bought Crypt flamingo for $14, tissue culture, easily 8 - 10 plants.

Weekly Doses - NO3 - 5ppm / K - 6ppm / PO4 - 0.5ppm / PPS-Pro Micro's - 0.35ppm Fe / 75 PAR, 7 hours, 25% weekly water change
My 30g Journal:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

In the OP's defense, tissue culture plants are way different than already grown-in, established plants. I'd choose the already grown plants with long, established roots, over tissue culture personally. I think that adds a bit more of a "premium" they can charge if they want to sell them.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

|
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
In the OP's defense, tissue culture plants are way different than already grown-in, established plants. I'd choose the already grown plants with long, established roots, over tissue culture personally. I think that adds a bit more of a "premium" they can charge if they want to sell them.
I agree! The pictured plants here look way better than the culture cup plants I paid for. I'd pay a little more for healthy grown plants.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I agree too, my TC Flamingos never took hold and wasted away into nothing. They looked good out of the cup, then just went south. I bought them along w Anubias variegated that looked rough, but then did well in the same tank. Go figure...

To answer OP, I'd say somewhere in the 25-35USD range sounds right to me, depending on size/# of leaves. Around here anyways
fish+plants likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Ive killed three different batches of this plant in TC, aquasoil, sand, didnt matter. Finally scored a big fat established plant and it's thriving like a typical crypt is supposed to. My hats off to anyone who can get the TCs to live

Nice looking tank Emily. Thats an impressive hair grass carpet with only liquid co2
varanidguy and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

In the experience of the people who are successfully growing them, how big do these plants get? Do they create a crypt forest that can actually be pretty sizeable like other crypt species, or are they a more manageable, smaller size that sends runners?

|
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In my experience they they stay fairly small from soil to tip of the leaf i would say its about 10cm and smaller. Once they got established i found they do create runners about as fast as other crypts do, however the smaller size of them i find makes them more manageable and they don't tend to dominant their space like larger ones do. The new runners tend to go a little more unnoticed and stay very close and tight to the mother plant. I have had the crypts or a little under a year and have had a very generous crop of them already.
varanidguy likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode