Dry Start 13 days no progress. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using dirt capped with sand. I wet it down about every other day or everyday using dechlor tank water and thrive+ squirt with a bit of excel. The light I'm running is meant for corals but I have the blue spectrum turned way down to 1%. I added the photo of it 13 days in with 0 growth. Ignore the siran wrap. There's some algae looking stuff growing in the back too. Tank is a 40b.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that I also scattered osmocote plus root tabs around the substrate.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-05-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

If youíve got brand new soil why would you think you need to add Osmocote or any fert for that matter. Osmocote has probably leached so much fert into soil at this point itís probably borderline toxic to plants.

Osmocote is not designed for aquatic plants/soils, in aquatic/wet soils itís leach rate is very high. If you use it, it should have only been used sparingly (1 pellet every 2sq/in) and probably not till 6mo after tank was flooded.
Now3 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good point. I used dirt previously and I still had some deficiencies, so when I used the osmocote, it fixed those. Decided to just use osmocote from the start.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump. Day 15. Weird algae(?) stuff still going.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now3 View Post
Using dirt capped with sand. I wet it down about every other day or everyday using dechlor tank water and thrive+ squirt with a bit of excel. The light I'm running is meant for corals but I have the blue spectrum turned way down to 1%. I added the photo of it 13 days in with 0 growth. Ignore the siran wrap. There's some algae looking stuff growing in the back too. Tank is a 40b.

I forgot to mention that I also scattered osmocote plus root tabs around the substrate.

I know nothing about this hobby but I'm curious about your choice in basically turning the blue spectrum lighting all the way off? I mean if your just trying to eliminate useless parts of the spectrum from an salt water light for terrestrial plant use I would have thought targeting the higher end wave length like ultraviolet would have been the way you wanted to go?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAstrophY View Post
I know nothing about this hobby but I'm curious about your choice in basically turning the blue spectrum lighting all the way off? I mean if your just trying to eliminate useless parts of the spectrum from an salt water light for terrestrial plant use I would have thought targeting the higher end wave length like ultraviolet would have been the way you wanted to go?
Blue light can cause tons of algae, so I just don't want the plants to get used to the blue light and have problems when I flood and turn it down a ton.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode