2Likes
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By TacitBlues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting Java Fern and Anubias sp. to thrive

I have Java fern and Anubias congensis in a 10 gal that will eventually be a shell-dweller species tank. The Java fern and Anubias are rubber banded to rocks for the time being until they attach. The plants have been in there for 2-3 weeks with little to no growth. They do seem to be putting out furry brown 'roots' that I believe are a sign that they're starting to attach themselves. I know these plants are known for being hardy, but I really want to see them thrive. What can I do to improve foliage growth and get them to attach faster?

Important info:
Light: standard fluoro hood with Aqueon Daylight T5
Filter: Danner Ovation 380 internal (seems to have great flow)
Temp: 80 deg F / 27 deg C
pH: 8.0
gH: 7 dH
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm (been adding Dr. Tim's to fishless cycle)
Nitrite: 0.25-0.5 ppm
Nitrate: 40-80 ppm (gonna water change tonight)
Dosed 2 ppm of ammonia from the set up and 1 ppm again 2-3 days ago.
I'm not dosing ferts.
Tank is unstocked.

Possible explanations:
The tank is too young.
The light is too dim.
The light has a bad spectrum.
I'm not dosing ferts.

I'm generally interested if anyone has found a formula to get these typically slow-growing plants to really explode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

For explosive growth you would need co2. Otherwise anubias and JF are very slow growers especially in a new setup.. I have found it helps to trim off some of the existing leaves to initiate new growth quicker. If ferts aren't being supplied by fish and tap then you might need to dose something as well. If algae is on the leaves that would also slow growth.
Econde likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Feed them! If you want plants to grow, you need to give them the nutrients to do that. I would suggest trace fertiliser at a minimum. If you can see into the tank it should be enough light for anubias.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anubias are pretty slow growers from what I understand. They send out roots pretty quick but takes a while for new leaves.

Java fern in my experience grows pretty darn fast for a slow grower. Now that my tanks have been running for a while I generally have a hard time finding places for the new java babies.

I have medium/low led lighting, dose thrive or flourish excel once/twice a week depending if I remember the mid week dose. Thats about it besides the fish waste and food. Now it may take a little bit before things get established and take off if you will.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:37 AM
Algae Grower

My reading is that both Anubias and Java Fern are slow growers, also they would take time to adapt to any new environment.
For slow growers and in the absence of fast growing stem plants to outcompete algae would be it still be prudent to continue dosing in regular doses?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:44 AM
Algae Grower

In my experience the best way to grow Anubias is to wait. Iíve got almost a carpet of nana petite in my shrimp tank... but itís taken 2 years to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sudhirr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Iím confused what you mean on ammonia dosing? You dosed 2-3ppm only when 1st setup and then did another dose 2-3wks later at 1ppm or have you been doing standard fishless dosing?

You only need about 10ppm nitrate max for those plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode