Removing Duckweed from Moss on Wood - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Removing Duckweed from Moss on Wood

I should have done my homework before putting duckweed in my tanks. I’ve used skimmers on high to remove it from a couple of tanks, but now I need to work on my pico tanks, which each have moss wrapped around wood at the waterline.

Duckweed with moss is like Velcro. Do I need to pull the moss and try to separate in a bucket?

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:11 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I share your distaste of duckweed. It should only get wrapped up in your moss if water flowing down (as from a HOB filter, etc.) and it gets hung up and can't float back up. I'd just pull out the wood and give it a good spray in the sink, or if bad enough, take the yard hose to it. The moss shouldn't mind.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

These are the tanks if you want a visual: https://www.plantedtank.net/#/topics/1293149

Thanks!

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a wooden dowel I use to poke around in a tank and I just poke around in the moss and the Duckweed floats up to the top where it belongs . I agree about it though . When I first got some I said to myself "folks must be overreacting" , but I was wrong and I wish I had never seen the stuff.....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I need to check some of my internet research. Is it true that you can drown duckweed? Could I just push it all underwater with mesh?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I have a wooden dowel I use to poke around in a tank and I just poke around in the moss and the Duckweed floats up to the top where it belongs . I agree about it though . When I first got some I said to myself "folks must be overreacting" , but I was wrong and I wish I had never seen the stuff.....lol
I think the dowel would do the job in my other tanks. These are about 4 gallons each, so it is hard to float anything free.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:28 AM
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I need to check some of my internet research. Is it true that you can drown duckweed? Could I just push it all underwater with mesh?
Some of the old timers say that you can, but it takes about 60 years.
Leeatl and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's Devil Weed. It suddenly just appeared in my tank out of nowhere. I hadn't added anything to the tank for 2 months, but there it was. My ghost shrimp seem like they might eat the smaller plants. Wondering if it was there all along but they kept it under control. Now that I'm feeding my rapidly multiplying guppies more often, maybe they've given up their vegan ways to eat the guppies' leftover flake food instead?

I've heard mollies will eat duckweed. Anyone have experience with this? And do they content themselves with just duckweed, or will they start munching on other plants as well?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:44 PM
snails are your friend

If you didn't feed them maybe, just maybe they would. I know some goldfish will eat it. I used to throw handfuls in silver dollar tanks when I had my shop and they macked down, but neither of those suggestions are helpful in a planted tank. I have a couple of tanks 100% duckweed free right now best I can tell, and I'm paranoid about nets, my arm, anything going in there that's been in the others. But it's easier to rid than Java moss at least since it floats.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm making slow progress with nets, foam, forks, tongs, and tweezers. I want to try making a mini shop vac with a powerhead and tubing, but my python tubing doesn't fit my spare powerhead. I want a nano version of what Cory demonstrates here:

Each of these tanks is just about four gallons, so there just isn't very much room to work. The shrimp seem busier and now I just spotted some shrimp fry, so maybe I shouldn't try the powerhead idea right now.

Edit: I used some small planter cups stacked together as a strainer, which has been helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7BB6879-A3B9-4A5A-B01B-903EB15E1EE9_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	887033  

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-16-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode