Plants that can be planted in sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Plants that can be planted in sand?

So I'm totally new at this so any advice and tips will be appreciated!
I have a 10gal tank and I was recommended to use Flourite Black Sand. I was also recommended to start with java fern and anubias plants since they are hardy and don't need bright LED lighting. I have LED lighting but not enough for some plants. When the guy talked to me, I figured I could plant them in the sand but someone else said they had to be glued to rocks so the roots can attach to something, which makes sense.
Are there any plants that can be planted in the sand that you recommend? I'm kinda looking for tall ones like Anacharis as well as any other type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
You can bury the roots, but the rhizome. Important difference! The rhizome is the horizontal structure to which the leaves are attached; the roots descend vertically from there. Attaching them to rocks or driftwood makes them easier to move or place in higher spots in the tank. They can get more nutrition from the substrate if need be.

Rotala rotundifolia is an easy stem that comes to mind.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi, and welcome!

Vals (valisneria species) are supposed to be easy to grow, and will get quite tall/long (when they reach the surface they curve over and trail along just underwater. They'll root into sand VERY well and spread roots through your tank. Amazon swords also root well, although they may need supplemental fertilizer tabs; they get very big also so might outgrow your tank.

Cryptocoryne species root nicely, although don't necessarily get so tall - probably about 1/2 to 2/3 the height of your 10g, although they'll get taller under lower lighting.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:30 PM
Planted Member

I have hygrophila planted in sand, doing well so far with no ferts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--UN--
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

What led light do you have?

And fluorite is not plain sand, it is a plant substrate thatís just been graded down to that fine size. Itís actually clay based and has a mild CEC value.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Was thinking of this when I was moving some stuff around in my tank today.

Java fern has those little hair like runners that will attach to almost anything like gravel,wood,rocks,other plants, decorations..... What I have done is if those little hairs are long enough Ill bury them in the sand. Usually they grow somewhat enough to keep the plant where I put it.

My anubus on the other hand grows some serious roots in the sand. One of them looks like a mangrove tree because I just sat it wedged in a spot and the roots took off and grew straight into the sand. Another I was gonna move but once I realized the roots had grown under some other plants I just left it.

Buce seems to do the same thing just not as prolific in my case. I have one glued to a piece of wood and the roots grew down the wood and into the sand.

Like mentioned just dont bury the fat root (rhizome).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you go to the low tech forum on this site, there's a sticky with a list of low light plants:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ht-plants.html

Vals can get really big really fast. They outgrew my 55g tall in a couple of months, and I'm already looking to replace them with something less aggressive. Sagittaria subulata is another easy background plant that shouldn't grow as tall.

As mentioned, crypts are a good option, and come in all sizes if you want a taller one for the back of your tank. Just research the kinds you want. https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants and https://tropica.com/en/plants/search...pgr=&ori=&use= are good sites to research easy low light plants & get ideas.

Have fun!

Tags
anubias, beginner, java fern, plants, sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode