Plant ID: Foreground plant w/ runners - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant ID: Foreground plant w/ runners

Hello, I want to make sure I have a complete list of plants in my 40g so that I can better care for the plants and help the system thrive. There is one plant we introduced that I am not familiar with. It was given to us in our shrimp tank, and has done quite well. It grows 1-2" tall and sends runners to create new leaves. The runners have typically grown in a straight line along the glass and they have fine brown roots.
Any ID or guidance that could help me find it would be great. The closest ID I could find by searching is Marsilea hirsuta. If that is correct, confirmation is appreciated. What throws me off is the clover vs. single leaf forms.

Here are a couple of photos:

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like "Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo"
Have a look at this
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantd...-(025-TC)/4442
Also look for the app on play store Aqua Guide
Helps me a great deal.
Good luck

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedManFromSA View Post
Looks like "Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo"
Have a look at this
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantd...-(025-TC)/4442
Also look for the app on play store Aqua Guide
Helps me a great deal.
Good luck

I am fairly sure it is not monte carlo. I keep monte carlo (purchased as 1-2-Grow from Tropica, which you linked). Monte carlo leaves are maybe 1/8 the size, and grows in a more dense viny tangle.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Marsilea hirsuta is correct.
pweifan likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Marsilea hirsuta is correct.
Much appreciated!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It's impossible to know the species for sure without sexual characters (sporocarps in this case) or at least a strong chain of custody from a reliably identified source. You just don't know otherwise.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It looks like the Marsilea hirsuta I used to have. mine had pretty clover-shaped leaves and then they all converted to single-lobed leaves. It's probably in transition.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
It's impossible to know the species for sure without sexual characters (sporocarps in this case) or at least a strong chain of custody from a reliably identified source. You just don't know otherwise.

Thank you, I understand nothing can be certain. Even fish and plant species that have been carefully studied are later found to have been misclassified. LFS regularly mis-labels fish and plants as well. I am just shooting for 90% certainty so that I can keep a good eye on things.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
It looks like the Marsilea hirsuta I used to have. mine had pretty clover-shaped leaves and then they all converted to single-lobed leaves. It's probably in transition.

Thanks, that's what this sounds like. Some are still clover-shaped, but most of them are single leaf at this point.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think @Tinanti means it's Marsilea but the epithet requires more work to determine. Minuta, hirsuta, crenata, etc. all look too similar under water, especially with variances due to nutrients.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 06:48 AM
Planted Member

Hijacking this thread for another plant ID request. It was given to me as Staurogyne sp. Kerala but it doesn't look like any of the pictures I've seen. It's the green plant with round leaves in these photos

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode