Dwarf Hairgrass Growth - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Hairgrass Growth

So I previously had Eco Complete and wasn't having luck growing my DHG. I switched to ADA Aquasoil about a month ago and still doesn't seem like it's spreading. I'm dosing Flourish Nitrogen a capful per day, Phosphorus two capfuls per day, Trace a capful per day, Iron a capful per day, Potassium a capful per day and four drops of ECA plus about every other day (mostly for the AR). I have a CO2 inline diffuser and have managed to at least keep the drop checker green and can see a mist of small bubbles, but not sure if it's completely working 100%, but it is working somewhat at least. When I replanted I did 4-6 strands of grass and everything. My readings today are...

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - ~80 ppm
pH - 6.0 (Could be lower, that's the end of the scale)
gH - 10 drops
kH - 1 drop
Fe - 0 (I've upped the dose and still seems to be nothing)
Phosphorus - 1 ppm

I couldn't find and test kits for Potassium, so no idea there.

I'm open to any ideas of what I should be doing to get a lawn going, or maybe I'm just being too impatient? Seems like very little growth for like a month though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C92B159-AB38-4CA2-BD63-C2409BEC5F22.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	883813  

Name:	3E6501C1-0137-4E5E-8C1D-5AF5A3C264C1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	883815  

Name:	448D99AF-CCC9-4CB6-BA6D-479C3C23F45F.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	883817  

Name:	440336C9-3F9C-45E8-9923-30BDED32BB88.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	883819  

Name:	D0EF90DE-E8BF-43F0-9ED6-944EB466B8ED.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	883821  

lowline2011 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylo255 View Post
So I previously had Eco Complete and wasn't having luck growing my DHG. I switched to ADA Aquasoil about a month ago and still doesn't seem like it's spreading. I'm dosing Flourish Nitrogen a capful per day, Phosphorus two capfuls per day, Trace a capful per day, Iron a capful per day, Potassium a capful per day and four drops of ECA plus about every other day (mostly for the AR). I have a CO2 inline diffuser and have managed to at least keep the drop checker green and can see a mist of small bubbles, but not sure if it's completely working 100%, but it is working somewhat at least. When I replanted I did 4-6 strands of grass and everything. My readings today are...

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - ~80 ppm
pH - 6.0 (Could be lower, that's the end of the scale)
gH - 10 drops
kH - 1 drop
Fe - 0 (I've upped the dose and still seems to be nothing)
Phosphorus - 1 ppm

I couldn't find and test kits for Potassium, so no idea there.

I'm open to any ideas of what I should be doing to get a lawn going, or maybe I'm just being too impatient? Seems like very little growth for like a month though.
How do you make the tree structure. I've seen and don't know how it is done. It really is a cool aquascape look.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, the structure was purchased from Bonsai Driftwood and let Christmas miss grow on it, that is the one part of the tank I’m quite happy with.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Are you sure it's dwarf hairgrass? All the plants, except maybe moss, look freshly planted. I would pull the anubias out of substrate and attach them to rocks / wood. In a month, I would expect dwarf hairgrass to at least double in height and density. The tank and the water parameters look pristine, maybe too prestine, especially with a month old AS. What am I missing here?

gH of 10 and kH of 1 seem to be out of whack. Is your pH crashing?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The crypts were doing well before I replanted a month ago, but really melted back when I did that, same with the AR, I think it's still catching up with where it used to be. I think maybe I'm trimming the DHG short too much, on the right side of the tank I am trimming it less experimentally, and I think that may be better for the system.

And to be honest with gH, kH, and pH, I have no idea. Once I saw such a low pH I switched a lot of the water out, but not sure where it's at now or ever where gH/kH ought to be.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Could it be the pH/gH/kH then? Also what's the best way to up pH as I suppose however low it is, it can't be good. If I remember correctly raising pH will also help my kH as well?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Could it be the pH/gH/kH then? Also what's the best way to up pH as I suppose however low it is, it can't be good. If I remember correctly raising pH will also help my kH as well?
No it's not your KH/PH. The aquasoil always lowers that and it's ideal. With fresh aquasoil you only really need to dose K and micros in the 1st 4-6 months. The soil is loaded.

If your co2 is good it's more likely a light and/or algae issue interfering with growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The CO2 is still being adjusted, I've been working with CO2 Arts back and forth for a while. They think I have too much surface agitation and I'm losing some there, which I think I agree with. I still need to fix that and lower the outflow. I have Finnex Planted 24/7+, it's currently on 5 hours/day full blast, is that too little? And I do have a small hair algae problem I think I will 1-2 punch it, which has helped in the past. The 2 Otos and the CAE don't really touch it, maybe a SAE, but that seems overkill.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The CO2 is still being adjusted, I've been working with CO2 Arts back and forth for a while. They think I have too much surface agitation and I'm losing some there, which I think I agree with. I still need to fix that and lower the outflow. I have Finnex Planted 24/7+, it's currently on 5 hours/day full blast, is that too little? And I do have a small hair algae problem I think I will 1-2 punch it, which has helped in the past. The 2 Otos and the CAE don't really touch it, maybe a SAE, but that seems overkill.
Take the PH of your water without co2. Leave some out for a few hours or if you don't run 24/7 take the PH before it comes on. You should see approx. 1.0 point drop and more than likely you have good co2. So if your PH is 6 it should be around 7 degassed.

5 hrs of light is good for a new startup. How far above the substrate is the light. The Finnex isn't that strong.
livebearerlove likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, I'll run the test. The only thing is it says 6.0 only because that's the lower limit of the test, it may be lower and I wouldn't know. Not sure if it would appear more yellow though, it does match the 6.0's color to be honest, not beyond it.

And that sucks, I thought I had bought a good light. The substrate is a full 9L of Amazonia in a standard 20 long high tank, all DHG at the bottom. What light should I get to help throw some extra lumens in there?

Also should I have the CO2 on 24/7 as it currently is? Or just run it while there's light?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Alright, I'll run the test. The only thing is it says 6.0 only because that's the lower limit of the test, it may be lower and I wouldn't know. Not sure if it would appear more yellow though, it does match the 6.0's color to be honest, not beyond it.

And that sucks, I thought I had bought a good light. The substrate is a full 9L of Amazonia in a standard 20 long high tank, all DHG at the bottom. What light should I get to help throw some extra lumens in there?

Also should I have the CO2 on 24/7 as it currently is? Or just run it while there's light?
I'm saying the light isn't strong enough, just saying it's not that strong generally, but a 20 Long is not tall so it should be OK on full power that's why I asked the distance.

You don't need to run the co2 24/7. If it has a solenoid just start it up a few hours before lights on.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, I meant high, I wrote long high and forgot to get rid of a word.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry, I meant high, I wrote long high and forgot to get rid of a word.
Could be the light. What's the distance from the substrate. Is it sitting right on the tank?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It has a small fixture to attach to the sides it came with, so It's about 2" above the tank with the substrate about 2" above the bottom, so the height of the tank is likely about the distance. When I get home I can measure. Would also explain why I'm not getting full color from the AR too, although those do slowly improve it seems.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

I, too, had a planted plus 24/7. I'll echo what @Asteroid said ... The light isn't that strong unfortunately. It was enough for me to keep DHG alive but definitely not flourish. My tank was about 18 inches from light to substrate.

I've since upgraded my lights to AI Prime's and the DHG exploded with growth.

I was pretty bummed because when I bought the Finnex I thought I had bought a fantastic light.
livebearerlove and Asteroid like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode