Anyone Care to Diagnose this Deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone Care to Diagnose this Deficiency?

Heya all

So a few things. I’m looking for any self proclaimed plant experts out there to eye ball the below attached pictures and throw out a rough diagnosis as to what they thing it might be and how they might go about fixing it.

So in regards to the tanks the plants are in. It’s a dirted planter tank (from my backyard), with a heavy black gravel/sand cap on top. The tank itself is quite stable (maybe too stable). I don’t get any real problems in it besides lack lustre plant growth.

I do water changes on the tank 25% once a week and dose with seachem flourish when I do so once a week. (at the recommended levels). The tank itself is s 60-80Lt.
I don’t own any sort of testing kits outside of a ph kit. The plants displayed in the imagine are Blue Strica, Hygrophila and some form of Anubias Nana.

Anyways if anyone has any thoughts let me know.

Last edited by AntAstrophY; 06-14-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

The leaves are showing chlorosis. Which can be caused by a deficiency in any one of several macro and micro nutrients. Nitrogen and iron deficiencies are common causes of this symptom. Seachem flourish comprehensive has enough iron in it but doesn't have much nitrogen. So I think ntrogen is the most likely deficiency. I would recommend getting a nitrate test kit and and verify you have measurable nitrate in your water (no less than 5ppm Nitrate). Many people try and keep it at 10ppm. Make sure your water doesn't have any nitrite or ammonia in it since these are toxic to fish.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Need PH/GH/KH and nitrate/phosphate tests. Do you have fish you feed in tank?

Also once a week dump and run dosing is not best way to manage a low tech tank.

Is tank 60 or 80 liter?

Probably around 2ml needed for your tank weekly, maybe 3ml if plant load high enough, especially if you have any floating plants. Divide that by 7 and dose daily or divide by 3.5 and dose every other day.

Problem with once week dosing is plants will have all they need at initial dose, sometimes in excess but then towards end of week the levels, especially of trace elements will bottom out stalling growth. Slow and steady dosing wins the race in low tech tanks. If you can find time to feed your fish everyday you can find a extra 30sec to feed your plants every or every other day.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys both of these were extremely helpful post. Just enjoy clues to put me on the right path.

I should correct my earlier statement I do have both a nitrate and nitrite test, but I’ve foolishly been ignoring them in my attempt to keep this simple. I haven’t tested water prams yet but I will.

The dossing thing somewhat surprises me. I would have assumed that the directions on the back of the bottle were a decent generalised way to dose 90% of planted plants. However with that also being said I guess planted aquarium can be highly unique things and any one tank when compared to another can vary wildly in parameters.

I’m gonna trial stepping up my dosing to every other day/ever threes days and watch new growth for any positive signs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode