Rotala rotundifolia holes - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Rotala rotundifolia holes

Hello, I have some questions about rotala rotundifolia and holes appearing in the leaves.
After doing some searching I saw this thread about this issue Holes appearing in rotala rotundifolia. My issue is almost identical to this in only my rotala rotundifolia, all of my other plants including rotala wallichii are doing great and thriving.

In the thread micro toxicity is brought up, however it isn't substantiated with anything other then opinion and personal experience and lots of back and forth discussions make the thread almost pointless for information.

I dose EI daily using rotala butterfly:

Plantex CSM+B:
Element ppm/degree
Fe 0.1
Mn 0.029
Cu 0.001
Mg 0.021
Zn 0.006
Mo 0.001
B 0.012
dGH 0.005

KNO3:
Element ppm/degree
NO3 3.2
N 0.72
K 2.02

K2SO4:
Element ppm/degree
K 3.2
S 1.31

K2HPO4:
Element ppm/degree
PO4 0.6
P 0.2
K 0.49

KH: ~3.5
GH ~8
PH 7.0-7.1

Co2 6.0-6.4 PH

API test kit
Ammonia <0.25 I can't tell colors very well
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 PPM with about 3-3.5 daily intake from plants

Metricide 1ml daily just for algae prevention

50% water changes weekly without fail.

Any other information that would be helpful I can try to provide.

I have tried to lower my micro dosage by about half, but that didn't help the rotala rotundifolia and my other plants started showing deficiencies which makes me think that it isn't toxicity.
I know that rotala are famous for disliking heavy water column dosing, however like I said my rotala wallichii is thriving under the current conditions, do they not have the same issue as other rotala variants?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Quesenek; 06-09-2019 at 04:52 AM. Reason: word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just to let you know that individual that brought up micro tox in the other thread, pretty much said the same thing in every thread where there was a plant issue.

I dose EI usually on the high end of dosing and never had a problem with Rotala R. I think the heavy dosing is more of an issue in harder water. My water like yours is pretty soft. PH 6.5 (co2) and KH 2-3.

With that being said I never dosed traces or extra Iron. I simply used Flourish Comp and NPK dry salts.
Quesenek likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Just to let you know that individual that brought up micro tox in the other thread, pretty much said the same thing in every thread where there was a plant issue.

I dose EI usually on the high end of dosing and never had a problem with Rotala R. I think the heavy dosing is more of an issue in harder water. My water like yours is pretty soft. PH 6.5 (co2) and KH 2-3.

With that being said I never dosed traces or extra Iron. I simply used Flourish Comp and NPK dry salts.
Thanks for clarification, my issue is just really weird considering I see people dosing EI with rotala and no issues.

EDIT:

I've been reading on this issue some more. I've found this thread Diagnose my nutrient deficiencies! where Seattle_Aquarist quotes information about how a potential excess of potassium or calcium can inhibit uptake of magnesium and cause a magnesium deficiency, this can cause chlorosis and most important to my situation necrosis between the veins of the leaves.

After doing my weekly maintenance I was digging through my plants to look at the older leaves, some of which are months old at this point, and almost all of the plants have some form of necrosis like my rotala just they were hidden from sight and not nearly as bad. Hopefully I can remedy this by dosing MgSO4 as Seattle_Aquarist instructed in the linked thread.

Last edited by Quesenek; 06-10-2019 at 12:47 AM. Reason: More information

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode