Aquarium salt bad for plants??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium salt bad for plants???

hey all,

I have 2 questions.

first, is using aquarium salt bad for plants? i have been using salt since the beginning of the year and there has been no effects so, I am not sure if salt is actually bad for plants.

Secondly, The aquarium salt I bought claims that is plant safe because it chelates calcium and iron. should i still use it even though slat may be bad for plants?

The aquarium salt I am using is Auburn aquarium start right B. i am not able to find any information about this product so, i have no idea whether the product is good for plants or not good for plants. any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

What is that main purpose for you are using it?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use the salt for my plants as it claims that it is a good fert for plants.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Salt in chemistry refers to any chemical that results when an acid and base react. For example CaCl2, CaSO4, MgSO4, KNO3 are some salts commonly used in aquarium plant fertilizer.

However most think of is Sodium Chloride, common table salt. Farmers don't like sodium chloride since high levels can make the soil hard and unsuitable for terrestrial plants. At very high levels the ground would be as hard as rock and at medium levels it may make it hard for the roots to absorb nutrients and water. However in a an aquarium 10ppm of sodium chloride shouldn't have any effect on submerged plants. In fact I have seen drinking water reports with even higher levels listed.

i have looked at these products but have never seen a full list of what is in them. My best guess is that it is nothing more than river water that has been evaporated leaving behind all the mineral salts it contained. Without knowing what it actually contains it is not possible to say for certain if it is safe or not for plants, or fish. Also it is difficult to say if it has any therapeutic effect on sick fish. Salt is often listed as a treatment for sick fish but often it is not clear if they are talking about table salt or aquarium salt. My guess is ordinary table salt is good for fish since animals need sodium and iodine which is present in ordinary table salt and might be deficient in some tanks. Especially in tanks filled with RO or distilled water.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have corys in the aquarium so should i still use the salt? i have heard that salt can kill corys. BTW thanks for the info Surf!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode