Alternanthera reineckii mini is too high - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alternanthera reineckii mini is too high

Hello,

I have a long term problem with Alternanthera reineckii mini, which still grows high and does not form low bushes.

Tank size: 90x40x40cm, 144l

Water parameters:
temperature 26C
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10
Fe 0,1
dGH 7
PO4 (Phosphorus) 0
pH 6,5

Substrate is something like Amazonia

Lighting 1x Chihiros LED A serie 90-110 cm 55W A901

Can you give me some idea where the problem is?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Algae Grower

I'm not an expert
But the light is probably not intense enough or that is not AR mini

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I too would agree you may not have enough light and its causing them to stretch. AR, AR mini and AR variegated all stay quite short for me. I run high light to possibly very high light.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can you recommend which light intensity would be optimal?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Algae Grower

Well it's probably the par output that's not great with the light. I would suggest being happy with what you presently have as the rest of the plants look very healthy. Otherwise it's a 300$ upgrade atleast just for one particular plant and it's not worth it
I used ecotech radions xr15fw that cost 500 new and I have 3 over my 150gallon. I got then used for a good deal and even they cant grow some of the most demanding plants

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

Trimming back and replanting is the secret with the reineckii mini. If you keep on doing this long enough you will end up with a nice low bushes. At least thats what they told me
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[email protected]: I have already cut several times and always pulls up and the leaves are very thin and small.

I am thinking that I would replace it but I do not know another red plant that doesn't need that much light suitable for the aquarium center. I need red plant for design
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
i agree with iamaloner. looks like you were sold either rosaefolia or rosenavig as mini. the mini doesn't have as noticeable venation as the other two.
livebearerlove likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
i agree with iamaloner. looks like you were sold either rosaefolia or rosenavig as mini. the mini doesn't have as noticeable venation as the other two.
I'm absolutely sure it is Alternanthera reineckii mini. It's the original from the Dennerle pot.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually grow my AR mini under medium- medium high light, with minimal CO2 (or none) with the similar light and it doesnt stretch like that.
Im not sure what you are dosing, but you did increase the saturation in your photo to try and make it look more red and cover the significant algae on the bottom leaves. So it seems to me the photo could be misleading.

I guess you could try more light and popper ferts.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Iíd suspect your 0 phosphate. Itís a mobile nutrient, it should never be 0. You can see your older lower leaves going necro because new growth is robbing old growth of phosphorus to grow.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not convinced it's a light intensity problem. The Chihiros A series is a capable light. What are your methods for trimming? Top and replant or are you allowing the bases to grow shoots? Also, phosphate should be present in the water, that could help a lot as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Planted Member

Here is why I think it a light issue. like daveKS said your lower leaves are dying off and they have gone greenish yellow showing that even when they were healthy the lower leaves were not getting enough light to stay red/redish. It is very dark light wise on the lower leaf area. You don't have enough leaves on the stem for this to be due to shading from the top leaves. Another clue is the pogo thats right behind it. You can see the lower part of the stems have small needles or missing needles altogether. If they were well light then the whole stem should be full of needles and ones that are half an inch or longer then what they are. here is my pogostemon with regular AR right next to it.

See the bushy short look of both plants and the longer needles on the pogo? That is well lit pogo/AR. Now DaveKS could be right about a nutrient deficiency but im not very good at deficiency identification. I could always be wrong on this but this is from my experience of growing both of these plants for at least the last 2 years.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwarsfan View Post
Here is why I think it a light issue. like daveKS said your lower leaves are dying off and they have gone greenish yellow showing that even when they were healthy the lower leaves were not getting enough light to stay red/redish. It is very dark light wise on the lower leaf area. You don't have enough leaves on the stem for this to be due to shading from the top leaves. Another clue is the pogo thats right behind it. You can see the lower part of the stems have small needles or missing needles altogether. If they were well light then the whole stem should be full of needles and ones that are half an inch or longer then what they are. here is my pogostemon with regular AR right next to it.

See the bushy short look of both plants and the longer needles on the pogo? That is well lit pogo/AR. Now DaveKS could be right about a nutrient deficiency but im not very good at deficiency identification. I could always be wrong on this but this is from my experience of growing both of these plants for at least the last 2 years.

Very astute but Iím still not totally convinced itís light related in this case.

My AR mini is grown under about 65 PAR and it grows bushy, and it doesnít require super frequent trimming either. Lower, shaded leaves do suffer so trimming is necessary, but not like itís weekly.

Nutrient deficiencies can cause stems to drop lower leaves and phosphate deficiency can definitely have that effect, as the plants eat the lower leaves for nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Very astute but Iím still not totally convinced itís light related in this case.

My AR mini is grown under about 65 PAR and it grows bushy, and it doesnít require super frequent trimming either. Lower, shaded leaves do suffer so trimming is necessary, but not like itís weekly.

Nutrient deficiencies can cause stems to drop lower leaves and phosphate deficiency can definitely have that effect, as the plants eat the lower leaves for nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are probably right. Even after 7 years of planted tanks I'm still finding myself learning things about plant needs and I probably am wrong about this one. NOW GIVE ME YOUR BEAUTIFUL CRYPTS!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode