Alternanthera reineckii mini is too high - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwarsfan View Post
You are probably right. Even after 7 years of planted tanks I'm still finding myself learning things about plant needs and I probably am wrong about this one. NOW GIVE ME YOUR BEAUTIFUL CRYPTS!

Hahaha Iím not saying youíre wrong, just theorizing.

Real talk let me get some shipping supplies and I can provide you with some runners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Hahaha Iím not saying youíre wrong, just theorizing.

Real talk let me get some shipping supplies and I can provide you with some runners.

Ah you don't have to do that. I have tons of crypts already. I was jokingly saying your plants are gorgeous and I wish I had crypts that big and lush. I do thank you very much for the offer though.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

Not sure what the problem is here (gravitating towards the NOT ar mini...), but I would also say its not light. I had AR mini in a 1.5 gallon 'starter kit' that came with a really crummy LED light I actually managed to grow it in there. It wasn't happy but it still had the same shape as a regular AR mini grown under better lighting, the color was just worse.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunti View Post
I'm absolutely sure it is Alternanthera reineckii mini. It's the original from the Dennerle pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydemir View Post
Not sure what the problem is here (gravitating towards the NOT ar mini...), but I would also say its not light. I had AR mini in a 1.5 gallon 'starter kit' that came with a really crummy LED light I actually managed to grow it in there. It wasn't happy but it still had the same shape as a regular AR mini grown under better lighting, the color was just worse.
it could well have been mislabeled by dennerle. did you ask your dealer if they've gotten the same growth pattern from others?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for all the advice that could help me . Here are more information about the aquarium condition.

It has been mentioned that the original photo is too saturated. It's because of the camera mode, not because I want to cover the algae which is less present.

Here I attach more photos in normal mode.

About fertilizer dosing:
I add every other day 2ml easylife profito, 2ml easylife fero, 2ml seachem flourish trace and 2ml seachem flourish phosphorus. It is strange that the value of phosphorus in the water is zero (I use JBL tests that should be of good quality). However, I learned that the active substrate absorbs phosphorus into itself. So, I believe that phosphorus is present in the substrate.

A few days ago I planted the plant cuttings again. Here's the current photo. Now it looks nice, but I already have the experience that the plants will go up again. Alternatera has narrow leaves and is thin. It looks unhealthy and dwarfed:

closer look:

A few days ago I bought a new second light, I hope it will help to lighten the aquarium better, especially the edges (on this photo is Alternatera before cutting):

There is another problem I am struggling with. Some leaves of plants have small holes, gradually glassing and falling. This problem is primarily affecting Hygrophila corymbosa 'Stricta' and Hygrophila polysperma.

Hygrophila corymbosa 'Stricta':

Hygrophila polysperma:

Despite these problems, I am generally satisfied with the aquarium status. However, I try to have a healthy and prosperous aquarium and still learn. I believe there is a mistake somewhere and someone will help me find it.

Maryland Guppy likes this.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@hunti
I find that for whatever reason my issues always stand from Potassium and Magnesium- rarely I find its calcium or pho. If your deficient, then try dosing them individually. But everything should be in proportion, providing more potassium will increase demand for all the other nutrients... vicious cycle. Im not informed on the easylife brand. I use Thrive/Flourish/Excel... and often end up using a bit of equilibrium as that pesky magnesium kicks my plants butts. I dose potassium (extra) separately at times when I notice leaf distress.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

One factor I can't find you mentioning anywhere is if you run CO2 on the tank?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

I will say that AR mini is a plant that I struggled to figure out in my tank. I had really bad luck with tissue cultures in the past, so I bought some submerged grown stuff from someone on this forum. It arrived healthy and happy, so I planted it and left it alone for a long time out of paranoia.

After a long enough time, it was no longer mini, but that gave me lots of growth to harvest and maintain in the more typical AR mini look.

TL;DR you may need to trim more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunti View Post
There is another problem I am struggling with. Some leaves of plants have small holes, gradually glassing and falling. This problem is primarily affecting Hygrophila corymbosa 'Stricta' and Hygrophila polysperma.

Hygrophila polysperma:

Been growing polysperma for over 5 years.
The top 6-8" always looks primo, the bottoms I have look just like yours.
Would blame this one on shading or light.
Unless I move this to my hi-light tank, which I will not since it tends to take over very quickly.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For hygrophila polysperma you can check your potassium and/or magnesium, it could help, but like Marineland guppy says leaves in the shade often do that.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK, getting back to this. Your 2ml dosing of everything makes me think you really didn’t put much thought into it.

Your Stricta is showing all classic symptoms of deficiency, curled edges, deformed leafs, premature necrosis in leaves.

For your tank which I will base off 138L (144L-6L for gravel/ornaments) and CO2 and doing every other day dosing this is what you should be dosing.

Mon/Wed/Fri
Profito 4.6ml
S. phos 10ml

Tues/Thur/Sat
S. trace 3ml
Fero 2.3ml

Sun
Water change/reset

Your Profito is a AIO complete and already has trace/iron so you should not be adding extra trace/iron on same days dosing. I’d actually monitor iron levels on day1 one hr after dosing profito then also on day two about 2hrs into light cycle to get a rough gauge on trace uptake. It may require a adjustment of +-10-20% to get it right, as plants start growing better you can expect need for dosing of extra micro to increase slightly.

Seachem phos I figured on a 1ppm target but you might need up to 2x more to get it up then you can slack off to maintain. It’s actually a very weak solution overall but that same high dilution makes it very easy for people to adjust to their needs.

If you want me rework it to a twice a week plan let me know, I’ve got rates noted and can rework it for you easily.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for this useful post. I will try this concept and see if it will be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
OK, getting back to this. Your 2ml dosing of everything makes me think you really didnít put much thought into it.

Your Stricta is showing all classic symptoms of deficiency, curled edges, deformed leafs, premature necrosis in leaves.

For your tank which I will base off 138L (144L-6L for gravel/ornaments) and CO2 and doing every other day dosing this is what you should be dosing.

Mon/Wed/Fri
Profito 4.6ml
S. phos 10ml

Tues/Thur/Sat
S. trace 3ml
Fero 2.3ml

Sun
Water change/reset

Your Profito is a AIO complete and already has trace/iron so you should not be adding extra trace/iron on same days dosing. Iíd actually monitor iron levels on day1 one hr after dosing profito then also on day two about 2hrs into light cycle to get a rough gauge on trace uptake. It may require a adjustment of +-10-20% to get it right, as plants start growing better you can expect need for dosing of extra micro to increase slightly.

Seachem phos I figured on a 1ppm target but you might need up to 2x more to get it up then you can slack off to maintain. Itís actually a very weak solution overall but that same high dilution makes it very easy for people to adjust to their needs.

If you want me rework it to a twice a week plan let me know, Iíve got rates noted and can rework it for you easily.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
OK, getting back to this. Your 2ml dosing of everything makes me think you really didnít put much thought into it.

Mon/Wed/Fri
Profito 4.6ml
S. phos 10ml

Tues/Thur/Sat
S. trace 3ml
Fero 2.3ml

Sun
Water change/reset

Your Profito is a AIO complete and already has trace/iron so you should not be adding extra trace/iron on same days dosing. Iíd actually monitor iron levels on day1 one hr after dosing profito then also on day two about 2hrs into light cycle to get a rough gauge on trace uptake. It may require a adjustment of +-10-20% to get it right, as plants start growing better you can expect need for dosing of extra micro to increase slightly.

Seachem phos I figured on a 1ppm target but you might need up to 2x more to get it up then you can slack off to maintain. Itís actually a very weak solution overall but that same high dilution makes it very easy for people to adjust to their needs.

If you want me rework it to a twice a week plan let me know, Iíve got rates noted and can rework it for you easily.
Sounds way too complicated(and I like complicated). Someone in this thread should convert all this to ppm so we can follow along.
I agree adding the second Chihiros A series light (I used to have this light) was a good idea and the symptoms are definitely light related. They may also be CO2 and Ferts related but I can't say until I know more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode