• 1 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 2 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this NOT an Apon Ulvaceus?

Picked up an Amazon special on Aponogeton Ulvaceus bulbs.

I've kept A. Ulvaceus before, These plants are not anything like the A. Ulvaceus I grew.

Very, very fast growing. I've had them in my 20 gallon for a little under month and they're sprouted from 2 bulbs to a pair of rapidly growing plants with over 10~15 leaves each including a pair of flower spike shoots. The leaves are peculiar, very long and narrow with a hashed series of clearish 'windows' along the edges, and the leaves nearest the light are shading bronze-ish. Longest leaves are over 2' and about 3/4"~7/8" width with no indication they will become wider.

Just keeps on pumping out new leaf spikes.
Looks a lot like this Aponogeton leaf image.

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 05-09-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The Apon Ulvaceous I know and love is very bright/light green with ruffles like Jerry Seinfeld's pirate shirt. What you have sounds cool but I agree it's not Ulvaceous. Wouldn't mind seeing a whole plant shot to help identify...
GrampsGrunge likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Would shot from above help?

This is my CBS algae tank The shrimp are slowly making a dent in the green fuzz and Diatoms, but a side shot isn't going to illustrate anything short of a lot of glass covered in algae.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Gotcha. Above, or even a google image would be cool if you come across a full plant. I'm intrigued by the detail pic, very unique, reminds me of inlaid wood

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm somewhat torn between giving a 3 star review on the sale, But I like these plants so much.

I'm hoping the spikes are fertile enough to sprout seeds and or plantlets. I had some Walmart Apon bulbs years back that the bulbs grew flower-spikes that spouted little tiny baby plants that ended up growing everywhere in the 29 gallon.
KayakJimW likes this.

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 05-09-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: ...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Planted Member

Aponogeton stachyosporus, maybe rigidifolius or one of the hybridized versions of it youíll find in those dry mixed Aponogeton bulb bags that come from orient. That dark/light window pane type striping in leaves is pretty tell tale. Stachyosporus is slightly smaller than undulates, instead of flowering they send up chains much like a amazon sword with little bulbs/plants growing on them. My thoughts on that one is itís one of the hybrid.

If you want a smaller 12-14Ēish plant, stachyosporus is really very beautiful once you get cluster of a few of them going. That darker more olive green color makes a great backdrop for brighter color plants and then it will have all those chains coming up with baby plants on them.
GrampsGrunge and KayakJimW like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Dave, Yes These two plants are showing every intention of dominating this tank. I fear for the Flame Sword in the background.

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 05-16-2019 at 02:09 AM. Reason: ....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

See you added more pics as I was typing.

Thatís definitely a mongrel hybrid. Bulb does not look like stachyosporus, to hairy, they are live bearing also so donít have flowers to cross pollinate like crispus and rigidifolius do, which is probably what this hybrid is.

Yea those little bulb packs back in day for $1.95 from pet stores and other places were a little surprise package as to what they were.

GrampsGrunge likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just an update: These Aponogetons continue their plans for tank domination.

The Ocelot Sword is putting in a valiant effort to try and compete though. The volume of Apon leaves floating on the surface has tripled and has put a serious dent in light reaching the bottom of the tank. I may have to trim soon.

One thing I've noticed, the flower spikes are actually more like Echinodorus plantlet spikes, with fully formed young plants spouting directly from the spike itself. I'm going to direct the biggest one to the bottom of the tank and see if it takes root without having to cut it loose. The leaves and roots growing out of these spike plantlets are impressively large, seems like this plant mostly propagates by 'daughtering' nearly fully formed starts.

Between both plants I count 7 spikes already, it's truly crazy how fast these bulbs have matured.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode