Melting R. rotundifolia and S. subulata - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Melting R. rotundifolia and S. subulata

Greetings all.

It's been 7 days since the plants have been in the setup and I've noticed quite a bit of melt going on. Subtstrate is Eco-Complete with Osmocote Plus added and I dose 2mL of ThriveC twice a week. Photoperiod is 6 hours and light intensity has just been increased to 50% power. My build info is here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ch-11-gal.html

Water parameters:

pH = 6.7
Ammonia = 0.3 ppm
Nirite = 0.5 ppm
Nitrate = 20 ppm
GH = 3
dKH = 10
TDS = 434

The Rotala has new growth on top, but the old growth is looking pretty poor and seems to have lost a lot of it's pinkish color. Some stems have melted completely.

The Sagittaria has melt as well and the leaves that are still green look in rough shape.

I know it has only been 7 days since planting, but I'm curious if the plants will bounce back given time or could they be showing signs of deficiency?

I appreciate any insight and advice on this.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Normal: most plants purchased on-line are grown emersed and will die back when newly planted, as well as plants moved from a tank with radically different parameters. They will come back as long as they aren't being poisoned and i don't see evidence of that.
LiQuiD SmoKe likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yah, just give it time. If you see new growth, it's heading in the right direction.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Deanna and MissCris. I'll give them time to acclimate and keep my eyes open for changes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your tank is still cycling, melting is very common in new tanks, as long as the stem or rhizome is healthy it should bounce back. I would do at least 2 50% water changes per week until you no longer see any ammonia or nitrite. It also helps to cut back melted leaves so that the plant will focus on the newer healthy ones.
milesm and WillR1496 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question

Rotala is not melting anymore, but is looking a bit spindly and not growing straight despite being directly under the light.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownLow_FL View Post
Rotala is not melting anymore, but is looking a bit spindly and not growing straight despite being directly under the light.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?
plant more densely.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My water source is a private well that goes through a water softener. I think there may be a possibility that my tap water is lacking sufficient Ca and Mg. I'll start adding ThriveC daily instead of every 3 days for consistency. Hopefully that will address Mg. I'll do more research to find the best Ca source and dosing.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't use water after water softener for a fish tank. Typically water softeners exchange Ca and Mg for Na, so you'll not only get less calcium and magnesium but also a ton of sodium, which is much worse.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Thats what rotundifolia does if it likes its substrate, sends out gravel runners with little stems popping up along way and will soon try to encircle whole tank. I just go with it, cut stems once they reach surface and prune back runners in area that I don’t want it.

And that’s not terrestrial form, which has round leaves. Most likely that melt you got at 1st was from Osmocote, which you don’t really need if your dosing water column with that substrate. Also you should have also only dosed thrive at 1/3 strength for 1st week or 3, that’s what will happen with rotundifolia if water column dosing is to stron, which it was between thrive and what Osmocote was leaching out. 1/2 strength is about all you will ever need in that tank once more growth spreads out. You should have just bought thrive for low tech which is weaker but also has carbon source mixed in. Figure out dosage, add it to quart of water and add 1/7 of it daily at start of light cycle.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Thats what rotundifolia does if it likes its substrate, sends out gravel runners with little stems popping up along way and will soon try to encircle whole tank. I just go with it, cut stems once they reach surface and prune back runners in area that I donít want it.

And thatís not terrestrial form, which has round leaves. Most likely that melt you got at 1st was from Osmocote, which you donít really need if your dosing water column with that substrate. Also you should have also only dosed thrive at 1/3 strength for 1st week or 3, thatís what will happen with rotundifolia if water column dosing is to stron, which it was between thrive and what Osmocote was leaching out. 1/2 strength is about all you will ever need in that tank once more growth spreads out. You should have just bought thrive for low tech which is weaker but also has carbon source mixed in. Figure out dosage, add it to quart of water and add 1/7 of it daily at start of light cycle.

Thanks for all the feedback. DaveKS, I am using ThriveC meant for low tech tanks. I was doing the recommended dosing of 1 mL per 5 gallons (two pumps) 2 times a week. I was dosing in the middle of the week and on weekends after water changes, which didn't feel consistent and has me wondering if that's why my Rotala and Sagittaria aren't looking as good as my other plants. I'll see what happens with changing it to 1 mL daily.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownLow_FL View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. DaveKS, I am using ThriveC meant for low tech tanks. I was doing the recommended dosing of 1 mL per 5 gallons (two pumps) 2 times a week. I was dosing in the middle of the week and on weekends after water changes, which didn't feel consistent and has me wondering if that's why my Rotala and Sagittaria aren't looking as good as my other plants. I'll see what happens with changing it to 1 mL daily.
No,

“dosing instructions: 1 pump(1ml) per 5 gallons

Dose 1-2x per week or as needed to maintain proper nutrient levels.”

Note it says 1 to 2 times a week, your tank only needs 1x a week

My premise is for you needs your probably slightly over dosing for Rotala, what your proposing doing 1ml daily is increasing dosage, almost doubling dosing.

Take 2ml thrive, put in 7 cups water, top off your tank with 1cup of water daily.

I put 1ml low tech thrive total per week in this 7gal tank (6gal water). Rotala growth is out of control, grows so fast I can barely keep up with it.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
No,

ďdosing instructions: 1 pump(1ml) per 5 gallons

Dose 1-2x per week or as needed to maintain proper nutrient levels.Ē

Note it says 1 to 2 times a week, your tank only needs 1x a week

My premise is for you needs your probably slightly over dosing for Rotala, what your proposing doing 1ml daily is increasing dosage, almost doubling dosing.

Take 2ml thrive, put in 7 cups water, top off your tank with 1cup of water daily.

I put 1ml low tech thrive total per week in this 7gal tank (6gal water). Rotala growth is out of control, grows so fast I can barely keep up with it.

So you don't think the missing Ca and Mg from my softened water has anything to do with the results I'm getting or why I may need to dose differently than 1-2 mL/week for 11 gallons?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Even if it is you don't usually try to fix gh problems by dosing an all in one fert with no Ca until Mg hits the desired level...
DaveKS likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Makes sense. I'll stick with 2 mL/week and look into GH booster.

Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode