Poaceae Purple Bamboo? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Poaceae Purple Bamboo?

I got a single stem of "poaceae purple bamboo" with a big plant order the other day, and it looks neat, but for the life of me I can hardly find any info on the stuff other that it tends to grow mostly vertically, can occasionally form runners, and it's prone to getting tall if not trimmed. No info on light, fert needs, max size, if CO2 is required, etc.

Anyone here grow this stuff? I would like to put it somewhere where it will do well, but I'm sort of flying blind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

They transition seamlessly from submersed to emersed (emersed part will not dry out). I've always used them that way. Good light to get color out of them, otherwise they will be green. I found co2 needed when submersed, not very picky about ferts. They grow tall and very thin and will fall over if not trimmed or supported.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
This has been identified (not by me) as Isachne globosa

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do they do ok with liquid carbon, or is CO2 required for proper submerged growth? I think this might be a good candidate for the back of my CPD's tank since I want something that won't spread much horizontally.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now that I think about, i think i did grow them successfully with liquid carbon. They grow very fast vertical, practically no growth horizontally. I was able to top them and make add'l plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Now that I think about, i think i did grow them successfully with liquid carbon. They grow very fast vertical, practically no growth horizontally. I was able to top them and make add'l plants.
Good to know. That was what I was hoping. Sounds like a good candidate for my CPDs. The tank has high light, gets root tabs, liquid carbon, Leaf Zone, and occasionally liquid micros for the floaters that don't have access to root tabs. I'll try and propigate it a bit first though since I only have one 5" piece at the moment.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode