Anacharis Turning Brown - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anacharis Turning Brown

Hey Everyone! It seems that my anacharis plants have turned a pale brown color and I'm not quite sure why.

Here are my specifications:

36 Gallon Bowfront
2 Finnex 24/7 SE Lights
Liquid Ferts
Root Tabs
Injected CO2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
pH - 6.5

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
What liquid ferts are you using? How long has the anacharis been in the tank?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Has it put out any new growth, or has it stopped growing? Is it floating or rooted in substrate?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been in there for a little over a month and I have it rooted. It grew a bit and had been putting out some aerial roots but has since stopped.

I've been using Leaf Zone and Flourish for fertilizer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrodonRacer View Post
It's been in there for a little over a month and I have it rooted. It grew a bit and had been putting out some aerial roots but has since stopped.

Funny thing: I have a ton of anacharis that I use in fry tanks or when trying to control ammonia in a new reset during cycling, etc, but it only grows well for me floating. Never could get it to grow well planted. No idea why, especially since others seem able to.

Try pulling it up and let it float. I've had it recover from dieback after floating at the top of the tank for a bit (I occasionally anchor it in gravel or use weights to keep it in one spot). Might be that it needs access to CO2 or better flow or something, but anyway that usually works, especially if it can float near the filter intake (which is why I think flow is probably a factor).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Which flourish product? There are about 10.

If you are using flourish Excel it will damage and can kill aracaris. Excel is a organic acid that most plants can use as a source of carbon instead of CO2. However Anacaris is one of a few plants that is damaged and can be killed by excel.

Leaf zone is also not a good fertilizer. It has only 2 nutrients in it. There are 14 that plants need to grow. Exel also doesn't have any of the 14 nutrients plants need.

Anacaris is an easy plant to grow if you have the 14 nutrients plants need. With optimal mineral nutrient levels it will grow very fast and require weekly trimming.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't use Excel with the tank anymore (although I did for a bit before I added the anacharis and setup a CO2 system). I use Seachem's standard Flourish fertilizer as well as their iron supplement

Is there a different fertilizer that you suggest?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrodonRacer View Post
I don't use Excel with the tank anymore (although I did for a bit before I added the anacharis and setup a CO2 system). I use Seachem's standard Flourish fertilizer as well as their iron supplement

Is there a different fertilizer that you suggest?
You're referring to the regular one that mainly has a broad spectrum of micros (except not enough iron), yah? Just says "Flourish" up top and "comprehensive suppliment for the planted aquarium" below that.

I've used that in conjunction with leaf zone and iron for years, and have been pretty successful with it in all 8 tanks. I do also use root tabs for heavy feeders, and I don't use RO, so I'm also getting some stuff via tapwater, but those, together with the fish food/waste will cover most low-tech systems.

If you are running CO2 and real high PAR though, you might want to consider upping your game on the fert regimen. Leaf zone and flourish are not always sufficient if you are getting plants to grow extra fast, especially if planting is very dense. I'm not a high-tech expert, as I stick to low or low-medium, but I know most high end setups blow through a lot more ferts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Seachem's standard Flourish fertilizer as well as their iron supplement
There is no stand flourish fertilizer. If you look at the label there should be something alongside flourish to designate what it is. For example:

flourish trace
flourish comprehensive
flourish iron
flourish advance
flourish nitrogen
Flourish phosphorous
flourish potassium
Flourish root tabs.
Flourish excel
Flourish glue

Why is it important to know? No fertilizer on the market contains all of the 14 minerals plants need to grow. Many manufactures assuming you will get some nutrients from your substrate or water. but that is not always the case. If you are missing any one nutrient the plant may not grow or die. So if you don't get the fertilizer right you might never be successful growing plants. Other than iron we sell don't know what brand of root tabs or liquid fertilizer your are using other than leaf zone .

I personally never got good growth with combines of Seachem trace, comprehensive, iron, nitrogen,phosphorous. Why, I have an inter substrate and use RO water. Are you using RO, distilled, or softened water?So my only source of nutrients were my fish waste and fertile. And sachem assumes you water and substrate supply calcium, copper, zinc, and nickel. I now make my own fertilizer. You probably would get better results with nilocg.com Thrive or Aquariumcoop.com Easy Green fertilizer.

My only guess right now it that you might be low on calcium. Most fertilizers don't have it and those that didn't have nearly enough to do any good. To know if you are low on calcium you need to know your water GH (general hardness) number. if so you would need a GH booster. Such as nilocg.com GH booster.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Quote:
Seachem's standard Flourish fertilizer as well as their iron supplement
There is no stand flourish fertilizer. If you look at the label there should be something alongside flourish to designate what it is. For example:

flourish trace
flourish comprehensive
flourish iron
flourish advance
flourish nitrogen
Flourish phosphorous
flourish potassium
Flourish root tabs.
Flourish excel
Flourish glue
There is a product marketed where I am in California that literally just says "Flourish" on the bottle, without a subscript (ie "excel", "trace", etc.). It's sold at both PetCo and PetsMart, as well as a lot of the local shops. I think that's what OP is referring to. I am pretty sure that it's the same thing as Flourish Comprehensive.

Analysis from back of the bottle:
N .07%
P2O2 .01%
K20 .37%
Ca .14%
Mg .11%
S .2773%
B .009%
Cl 1.15%
Co .0004%
Cu .0001%
Fe .32%
Mn .0118%
Mo .0009%
Na .13%
Zn .0007%
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
There is a product marketed where I am in California that literally just says "Flourish" on the bottle, without a subscript (ie "excel", "trace", etc.). It's sold at both PetCo and PetsMart, as well as a lot of the local shops. I think that's what OP is referring to. I am pretty sure that it's the same thing as Flourish Comprehensive.

Analysis from back of the bottle:
N .07%
P2O2 .01%
K20 .37%
Ca .14%
Mg .11%
S .2773%
B .009%
Cl 1.15%
Co .0004%
Cu .0001%
Fe .32%
Mn .0118%
Mo .0009%
Na .13%
Zn .0007%
Yes, this seems to be the one that I'm using.

In regards to my water, I just use water from the tap which is fed by a well. It sounds like I might be missing some nutrients from substrate because I currently just have sand in the tank.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depending on your areas well water (and if you can get the report from your water district, that could be helpful), the Flourish /Leaf Zone combo may not be enough. Try totaling all the nutrients you're adding in based on your dosing and post them, along with the tap's analyst if you can get it, and then you can see what is missing.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not quite sure how to total the nutrients but I'm dosing 15-20ml of Leaf Zone and 3-4ml of Flourish weekly.

I unfortunately don't have an analysis of my tap water

Last edited by AstrodonRacer; 05-11-2019 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Adding more relevant info.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is your well hard or soft? If it's soft, you might want to look into a calcium suppliment. Flourish has a bit, but not much. My local water is hard as rock, so I've never had to add it, but you might see what others use.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how to total the nutrients but I'm dosing 15-20ml of Leaf Zone and 3-4ml of Flourish weekly.
The easiest way to total the nutrient levels in your tank is to use a nutrient calculator like this one:

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

for a 4ml flourish comprehensive dose it gives you:
NO3 0.091ppm
PO4 0.003ppm
K 0.09ppm
Ca 0.04ppm
Mg 0.03ppm
S 0.08

In my opinion the absolute minimum levels you need for the above macro nutirents is 5ppm MO3, K 3ppm, Ca 2, and everything else at 0.5ppm. Many people dose more that 10ppm NO3 1ppm PO4. In short for macro nutrients you want everything a 1ppm or higher. You are deficient on all of your macros.

The situation is no better for the micro nuitrents with the exception of Fe, Cl, an Mo Those are OK. The rest are still too low. Zn and CU are extremely low. Fortunately most homes have copper or brass pipes that leach copper or zinc into the water. Seachem is assuming your water will basically assuming your tap water 90% of the needed nutrients.

For your Leaf zone it will drive you with:
K 3.65ppm
Fe 0.15ppm

If we use the same fertilizer calculator for Nilocg.co Thrive fertilizer with a 5ml dose we get:
NO3 4.1ppm
PO4 0.77ppm
K 2.9ppm
Mg 0.11ppm
S 0.01ppm

As you can see the levels are much higher. Thrive doesn't have calcium and is a little short on Magnesium,sulfur, zinc, and copper but most tap water is rich in these nutrients. The remaining micro nutrient levels are also much higher than what you can get with your current fertilizers. if you dropped the leaf zone and upped the Flourish comprehensive dose to 40 or 50ml you might get good results or you might kill your fish from toxic levels of iron. At a dose of 50ml you bottle will not last long. Thrive will last a lot longer.
AstrodonRacer likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode