Recommend a tall mid-ground plant - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recommend a tall mid-ground plant

I just finished cycling my 75 gallon and plan to add fish on Saturday.

While I'm at the store I would like to get a tall to tallish mid-ground plant to place between my two pieces of driftwood to help fill the gap and provide something for the fish to swim into/around. You can see the gap I'm talking about in the photo below (there's a large Amazon sword in the background, and I would move the annubias and other smaller plant that is there currently). My lighting is medium (2x Finnex Planted+ 24/7), and as I'm just starting this tank I'd like it to be pretty easy to care for.

Any recommendations or advice? I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_204203.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	881293  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Plant/fish selection can often be very personal but I will throw in one that I like for a tall plant, but also with some warning?

I really like the different color, shape, and size of red tiger lotus as it can be trimmed/adjusted to do different things. That is both a beauty and a curse, so be aware. If treated even half way right, I find it grows like crazy and can take lots of cutting and slashing if you want to shape it. If you want, it can grow and let the leaves make shade for the whole tank or trim is and the leaves can be kept much smaller and left to most any tank level and amount you are willing to keep.
But be aware that those traits can also be a real problem if one is not the type who likes trimming!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
As @PlantedRich said, a matter of personal taste.

You already have plants with broad leaves and I would go for contrast and some color: Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwidgia repens and variants, Ambulia, Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Mayaca, Pearl Weed, Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan', Alternanthera reineckii, Bacopa are some of the more common, non high demand choices. The height of all these plants depends on how they are trimmed.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

hygrophila angustifolia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Algae Grower

Alternanthera reineckii rosanervig good contrast. Dark red plant

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm in love with rotala colorata, rotala magenta & blood red, and ludwigia ovalis. All are easy to grow, don't need high tech to look nice, and like most stems can be trimmed any height you desire.

I second the tiger lotus too. They look stunning, and are very hardy and can be kept the size you want.

Alternatively, if frequent trimming isn't your favorite, colorful small to medium swords like ozelot, flame or purple knight are less maintenance. Vesuvius is smaller and green, but in a clump looks really cool and has been fairly undemanding for me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'll throw Leopard val out there. I've always liked vallisneria sp and just got my first Leopard val from @burr740 in the For Sale threads. It's cool! Would add some color and contrast to the tank and would drape across the top which fish seem to dig. I've noticed with tall vals, that shy fish seem more bold with plants on the surface

BTW, what substrate is that? it looks great
burr740 likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPurpleJacket View Post
Alternanthera reineckii rosanervig good contrast. Dark red plant

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Are you sure that is AR rosanervig? It doesn't look anything like my ar rosanervig. It should have pink veins down every leaf.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

I’d angle end of that driftwood at center of tank forward 1.5” and drop a Aponogeton Ulvaceus right in center just behind wood. Bright light green wavy curvy leaves fish love swimming around/through. Leaves will get a nice pink’ish/bronze cast to them when they reach water surface and it will then start throwing up flower spikes at surface. In that size tank it would be a real show stopper of a plant framed in with driftwood around it.

Very easy to grow, easy to manage, just find older leaves, follow it down to base and pinch it off with fingernails and then pull it down and out of the cluster of leaves.

Last edited by DaveKS; 05-04-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode