• 1 Post By MissCris
  • 1 Post By Starwarsfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Swamp plant ID

Found this on a recent walk in south GA. It was growing up from the bottom of the swamp, maybe 3 ft deep and laying across the surface of the water. It was growing bright red and orange in the swamp, but new growth in my tank looks to be green. Any ideas what species or even genus this might be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190501_225401.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	881243

Name:	20190501_225316.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	881245
burr740 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe some kind of juncus? That's what it reminds me of, and juncus repens (lesser creeping rush) can be found wild in the southern US. If that's what it is, those are actually grown commercially for aquarium use.

The pic is of wild juncus repens found in Florida. Looks very similar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	103229_1556772862422.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	881247  

LRJ and Starwarsfan like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
Maybe some kind of juncus? That's what it reminds me of, and juncus repens (lesser creeping rush) can be found wild in the southern US. If that's what it is, those are actually grown commercially for aquarium use.

The pic is of wild juncus repens found in Florida. Looks very similar.
Wow! I think you got it! Looks like a cool plant. I've heard people mention it here and there before, but had no idea what it looked like. Thanks!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Let us know how it does for you then, as it's been on my list of "stuff I might want to try" for a while now, but I've never seen it in person. I do know that it's supposed to make a good bushy clump and stay a lot more compact if pressed down and trimmed aggressively.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Let us know how it does for you then, as it's been on my list of "stuff I might want to try" for a while now, but I've never seen it in person. I do know that it's supposed to make a good bushy clump and stay a lot more compact if pressed down and trimmed aggressively.
Will do. If it does well and propagates, I would be happy to send you some.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That would be awesome 🙂 I probably have stuff I could trade. My rotalas are always needing a good trim.
LRJ likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Definitely juncus repens. We have it all over here in Mississippi. Little tip for you would be that you can cut the plant at each section where roots come out and keep the long stem trimmed to make it grow similar to Cyprus helferi. Leaves don't get as big as Cyprus helferi but still nice for mid ground planting. You won't keep the orange to red color unless you put it under high-very high light.
LRJ likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How tall will it get submerged? It looks like a good candidate for filling out spaces in my CPD tank, and I'm very curious...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
How tall will it get submerged? It looks like a good candidate for filling out spaces in my CPD tank, and I'm very curious...
The op is saying quite long but I personally have only seen it be maybe 1 foot to 1 1\2 feet long. We have tannin or muddy water here so I'm sure that affects its growth to some degree. Here is an old scape where I kept the juncus trimmed down. It is to the left of the tank.
https://imgur.com/gallery/vK7rYNt
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I imagine it depends on whether the long stem is kept trimmed, like @Starwarsfan suggested for midground use, or allowed to grow. If the long stem is allowed to grow, I expect it to eventually go right up onto the surface. That's what it was doing where I found it. For what it's worth, the Juncus repens entry in Plant Finder says it's a suitable background plant for almost any size tank: https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ils.php?id=157

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
Quote:
I imagine it depends on whether the long stem is kept trimmed, like @Starwarsfan suggested for midground use, or allowed to grow. If the long stem is allowed to grow, I expect it to eventually go right up onto the surface. That's what it was doing where I found it. For what it's worth, the Juncus repens entry in Plant Finder says it's a suitable background plant for almost any size tank: https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ils.php?id=157
I just meant the leaves if the stem is trimmed. I use Cyperus helferi as a background in my 30g tank, but was wondering if I could use it for a similar effect in a 5g that is much shallower provided the stems were kept trimmed down. I have some small vesuvius sword in there now, but it's not quite working with the scape.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:42 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
If you can keep that red/bronze color up with iron and other dosing bet it would look nice just to stick it in back corner of low-med tech tank and just let it go and fill out that whole corner. Looks like a giant red guppy grass.

Be nice to see a pic of it in 3wks if you just let go in that holding tank/pot itís currently in.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I just meant the leaves if the stem is trimmed. I use Cyperus helferi as a background in my 30g tank, but was wondering if I could use it for a similar effect in a 5g that is much shallower provided the stems were kept trimmed down. I have some small vesuvius sword in there now, but it's not quite working with the scape.

yes it would work out very nicely. as you see in the pic i linked it is only 5-7" in length(the tank is a 30g tall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
If you can keep that red/bronze color up with iron and other dosing bet it would look nice just to stick it in back corner of low-med tech tank and just let it go and fill out that whole corner. Looks like a giant red guppy grass.

Be nice to see a pic of it in 3wks if you just let go in that holding tank/pot itís currently in.

agreed that would look awesome! i kept it for about 8 months in various aquariums with dirt, high light, co2 and i could barely get the tips to go orangish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode