Contradictory frustrating answers about planting Dwarf Baby Tears - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By shaonrahman
  • 1 Post By Quagulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Contradictory frustrating answers about planting Dwarf Baby Tears

Ok I am really getting contradictory answers and its getting frustrating quite frankly. So, I am getting ready to get my DBT, and plant them in my 20 gallon long tank. I hear, two possible approaches. I am planning to do Dry Start Method

One, keep them in the pot. Plant it while they are in the pot, let them grow out, then later on, take out the pot.

Two, take them out of the pot, plant them in the substrate, clean them enough so there is nothing in the roots.

I asked this question here earlier, and @Starwarsfan mentioned to take option two.
Now here is where it gets confusing. I was about to order it from Aquariumcoop, and there, not only in the description, but also other users said they are doing it already, or planning to do.

So what should I do? Is there pros/cons to either approaches? Please help me. My tank is all set and ready to go for plants. But I cant do it without learning about it more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Take out of pot, clean them / prune them, cut them into small clumps, evenly plant clumps 1-2 inches apart in a grid, let grow, enjoy
RCB and Asteroid like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Take out of pot, clean them / prune them, cut them into small clumps, evenly plant clumps 1-2 inches apart in a grid, let grow, enjoy
Thank you Quagulator. Thats what I am leaning towards as well. I am just surprised that someone like Cory would recommend the other option. Just curious, thats all.
Quagulator likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaonrahman View Post
I am just surprised that someone like Cory would recommend the other option. Just curious, thats all.
Maybe because he is in the "aquarium hobby" and not the "planted tank" hobby?? There is quite a large difference...

Ex: purposely dosing nitrates and phosphates to levels that would make fish only keepers "cringe"
Discusluv likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Quagulator is correct. In fact I've found the smallest groups you can do the better. I've even done a stem at a time. You are going to be using co2 correct? Tough to grow well without it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
@Quagulator is correct. In fact I've found the smallest groups you can do the better. I've even done a stem at a time. You are going to be using co2 correct? Tough to grow well without it.
You are correct. Matter of fact, thats the only reason I am considering this plant.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaonrahman View Post
Ok I am really getting contradictory answers and its getting frustrating quite frankly. So, I am getting ready to get my DBT, and plant them in my 20 gallon long tank. I hear, two possible approaches. I am planning to do Dry Start Method

One, keep them in the pot. Plant it while they are in the pot, let them grow out, then later on, take out the pot.

Two, take them out of the pot, plant them in the substrate, clean them enough so there is nothing in the roots.

I asked this question here earlier, and @Starwarsfan mentioned to take option two.
Now here is where it gets confusing. I was about to order it from Aquariumcoop, and there, not only in the description, but also other users said they are doing it already, or planning to do.

So what should I do? Is there pros/cons to either approaches? Please help me. My tank is all set and ready to go for plants. But I cant do it without learning about it more.

if you keep them in the pot then they grow to the size of the pot or hang over just a bit. also you limit the roots to the available nutrients to whats in the water and what may be in the gel/rockwool(which is going to be next to nothing). if you pull it out of the gel/rockwool then you give it the full tank to grow in and you give it access to more possible nutrients(these will still be some what limited depending on substrate). plants always grow better when you give them more then enough room to do so. like it was stated earlier aquariumcoop all though very very knowledgeable about plants are doing so for profit and will grow plants in ways to make it easier to sell.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you everyone for your information. It definitely helped me to understand this. I understand that once I get this plant, I will separate them, then plant them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode