3Likes
  • 2 Post By ipkiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crypt pink - flamingo vs panther?

Hello all,

I have what I'm hoping is ultimately a simple question to answer.

Is there any practical difference between cryptocoryne pink flamingo and pink panther?

I know that they're different cultivars, which is (probably) why the names are different...but are there any practical differences? Does one get larger than the other? Does one get more pink or stay pink easier than the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
When I looked into this, I've only been able to dig up threads where people claimed them to be the same. Just marketed by different people. From the dennerle's tissue cultures, its flamingo. From ada's tissue cultures, its pink panther.

I do wish they are separate though. I've had enough trouble with my crypt flamingo attempts that I'm tempted to just get a cup of pink panther just to try it out.

Then again, my flamingo came from another hobbyist so who knows which supplier it really came from or if they've got it confused themselves.

*shrug*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
When I looked into this, I've only been able to dig up threads where people claimed them to be the same. Just marketed by different people. From the dennerle's tissue cultures, its flamingo. From ada's tissue cultures, its pink panther.

I do wish they are separate though. I've had enough trouble with my crypt flamingo attempts that I'm tempted to just get a cup of pink panther just to try it out.

Then again, my flamingo came from another hobbyist so who knows which supplier it really came from or if they've got it confused themselves.

*shrug*
Oh man, what issues have you had?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just general bad luck or the lack of ability to grow it.

The first tissue culture cup from dennerle arrived in not the best of conditions. and promptly melted away to nothingness over time. Come to think of it, my current cup of pogostemon helferi from dennerle is melting away too. I wonder if plants grown in that gel cocktail of dennerle are just not liking my tank!

My second attempt was a juvenile plant bought off of fleabay. This guy survived, but is .. in probably survival mode. It puts up leaves as fast as it loses them.. or shall I say, it loses leaves as fast as it puts em up. So, no net gain. plant purgatory is the phrase I used for someone else the other day

My third attempt to follow rumors of finding the tissue cultures available at petco from "Complete Aquatic Systems" yielded in one super badly melted bag and months of wild goose chasing with associates who simply had no idea when they would get a shipping or even if they sold it at all despite me being able to give them the sku.

There's also various threads of inconsistencies with this plant on here
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/3...-pictures.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/3...journal-4.html
just search crypt flamingo and follow through all those threads if you want more

I've seen a couple people on the facebook pages grow it decently, but on here, I've only known @Xiaozhuang, @burr740 (maybe finally), and @kaldurak to grow it awesomely. Even kaldurak uses the flamingo and pink panther names interchangeably in his progression soooo, take it with a grain of salt @Xiaozhuang has an awesome page dedicated to it: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/..._flamingo.html

At this point, it's a crapshoot, so I wish you the best of luck and hope you a) find good starting stock and b) have great success and post about it so that I can add you to my mental shortlist of successful pink crypt keepers!
varanidguy and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

The first tissue culture cup from dennerle arrived in not the best of conditions. and promptly melted away to nothingness over time. Come to think of it, my current cup of pogostemon helferi from dennerle is melting away too. I wonder if plants grown in that gel cocktail of dennerle are just not liking my tank!

My second attempt was a juvenile plant bought off of fleabay. This guy survived, but is .. in probably survival mode. It puts up leaves as fast as it loses them.. or shall I say, it loses leaves as fast as it puts em up. So, no net gain. plant purgatory is the phrase I used for someone else the other day

My third attempt to follow rumors of finding the tissue cultures available at petco from "Complete Aquatic Systems" yielded in one super badly melted bag and months of wild goose chasing with associates who simply had no idea when they would get a shipping or even if they sold it at all despite me being able to give them the sku.

just search crypt flamingo and follow through all those threads if you want more

I've seen a couple people on the facebook pages grow it decently, but on here, I've only known @Xiaozhuang, @burr740 (maybe finally), and @kaldurak to grow it awesomely. Even kaldurak uses the flamingo and pink panther names interchangeably in his progression soooo, take it with a grain of salt @Xiaozhuang has an awesome page dedicated to it: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/..._flamingo.html

At this point, it's a crapshoot, so I wish you the best of luck and hope you a) find good starting stock and b) have great success and post about it so that I can add you to my mental shortlist of successful pink crypt keepers!
Yeah, I read through the thread @kaldurak wrote with the flamingo. It's absolutely beautiful...I wonder if he'd be willing to sell one plant. lol

Thank you! I'll definitely chronicle the journey, providing I can get some. Doing a nano tank right now and a pink crypt is necessary to get the tank scaped accordingly.

Quote:

Well, I just ordered a tissue culture cup from Aquarium Plants Factory. Many people said they had great experiences with the vendor so hopefully it's all gravy, they're in the same state so shipping should be fast. I'll keep you updated as well as chronicle the experience in the journal (in my sig). Fingers crossed I'm one of the lucky ones lol

I was thinking of accenting them with pogostemon helferi downoi, what do you think? Let them grow taller than the s. repens and hairgrass.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-01-2019 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode