Tagalong duckweed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tagalong duckweed

I was just given a lovely bag full of hornwort and vals for my new tank I set up this morning. Very generous, but when i got home and looked at the bag, there is also a ton of duck weed too. While I don't mind floating plants, I have had duckweed in the past and know how pervasive it can be, and really don't want it in my new tank.

Is there anyway for me to separate it out? I'm thinking it's impossible, it's so small and mixed in with everything. If I weight down the hornwort and val in a bucket will the duckweed float enough to take it all out?

I'm sad as the hornwort and vals look super healthy and I was really looking forward to adding them. It was a lovely gift from a fellow hobbiest, so I feel bad if I can't use it. But I'm not sure it's going to be worth the battle having to fight with duck weed.

What would you do? Keep the plants and somehow pick out the duckweed? Or appreciate the thought and toss out the plants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I would definitely try keeping the hornwort submerged to let the duckweed float up so you can get rid of it. I might do it 3-4 times for maximum effect! Duckweed has its place but is definitely a love/hate relationship!

RAOK Club #55
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good news is, keeping the plants weighted down seems to be working! The duckweed is floating to the top, which we (my son and I) are scooping constantly. And we've been able to get a few pieces of the hornwort duckweed-free, which we've transferred into another container to watch and double/triple check before transferring to my main tank. So it's fiddly, but not hard, and my son is enjoying having a job to help. I figure if it works, great! And if not it's too bad, but I'm not 'out' anything but some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've had this issue with plants and mosses and sinking the desired plants has always worked for me. I'll use a bucket (large cup for mosses) and just pour the duckweed off the top, refill, stir up, wait, repeat until it's all gone. Then when you think you're done, stir and wait another day! Also, I'm a guy w hairy arms so I'll scrub from elbows down like I'm about to perform surgery after I deal with duckweed

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Even if you should get some duckweed in your tank, it's not the end of the world. it is easily removed - over a bit of time - if you're diligent. I've had it in bags of new fish from my LFS and trying to net the fish out of the bag inevitably the duckweed gets in the tank.

I've let it grow a few times, as I find I liked it in small quantities. But eventually I tire of it. I just use a cup in my smaller tank and an empty milk bottle in my larger tank to scoop it up - they act almost like a siphon. Each water change I'd get as much out as I could before and then again after the new water went in. Scooped even in between now and then. I can't remember how long it took, but I have no duckweed anywhere at the moment. But I won't panic if I see it again. Certainly don't waste those plants because of a bit of duckweed. Really, it's easy to get rid of, unlike pest snails - those creep me out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the advice and commiseration! I got all the vals cleaned and planted, and a family member actually wants the hornwort and duckweed for his cichlid tank, so we're all happy winners!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode