Yellowing/Dying carpet in new tank - High tech - 17 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yellowing/Dying carpet in new tank - High tech - 17 gallon

Yellowing/Dying carpet in new tank - High tech - 17 gallon

Hello All,

This is my first post in the forum. But I have been reading threads here for quite a while now.
Would love to get some advise on the 'problem' I am seeing in my new tank.

First, the specs->

Dimension-> 24*12*15 (same as ADA 60P, I guess)
Volume-> approx 15 gal effective
Substrate-> Amazonia, with a layer of the powdered variety on top of the 'carpet' area.
Light-> Sanrise LED, 39 watt (78*0.5W)
Filter-> Eheim 2215
CO2-> Pressurized, 2 bps approx
Ferts-> Tropica Specialized
Water-> RO mixed with tapwater (approx 150-200 TDS after mixing)

Photoperiod-> 5 hr with LED brightness set to 75%, since the tank is newly set up (2-3 days)
Fertilizer dosing-> about 1 - 2 pumps every day.
Water temperature-> around 28 degrees Celcius

Plants->
1) Monte Carlo
2) Marsilea Hirsuta
3) Hydrocotyle Tripartita
4) Staurogyne repens
5) Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
6) Ludwigia Arcuata (or, Brevipes)
7) Heteranthera Zosterifolia
8) Anubias Nana Petite
9) Lilaeopsis Braziliensis

Disclamer:
> It's been only about 2 days since I have planted the tank, so I might be getting too hasty. But wanted to get the community opinion anyways.

The problem is,
Monte carlo & Marsilea aren't looking that great. Lots of yellowing, dying plants in the bunch.

Here's a full tank shot->

Zoomed in showing the MC, it shows the yellowing to a certain extent. But I will attach better pics if necessary.

I had tried to plant all the foreground ones by separating the full bunches as much as possible, to the point where I was almost handling individual plantlets.

Additionally, the Marsilea came in its emersed form, which was rather tall. So, for the most part, I had cut them up and planted both the top half(the four leaf with the stalk) as well as the bottom half(the runner/root section) separately. Was this a mistake?

Also, I had ended up ordering too much plants, so I tried to fit them all.
Could this potentially be a problem? Is 'overplanting' a thing?

So, TLDR version:
> Newly set up high tech tank shows a lot of yellowing/dying in Monte Carlo and Marsilea Hirsuta.
> Looking for opinions/suggestion on the same. Is this just the plants trying to adjust from emersed to submerged form? Or does it indicate any deficiency?

Would really appreciate any advice y'all can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

With a newly started Amazonia tank your not really going to see any deficiencies especially after a few days. The only think you really need is K and micros since everything else is in the substrate for a while. Are you following water change guidelines? Which should be 50% daily for first week. Otherwise ammonia levels might be too high even for plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"you need not a PhD to be a good farmer or aquascaper. Elbow grease likely will serve you better"
- Tom Barr
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
With a newly started Amazonia tank your not really going to see any deficiencies especially after a few days. The only think you really need is K and micros since everything else is in the substrate for a while. Are you following water change guidelines? Which should be 50% daily for first week. Otherwise ammonia levels might be too high even for plants.
Well, I had started the tank about 2 weeks before planting. And, during that period, I had kept the filter running and also done a few water changes.

Hence, I am going for a wc per 3-4 days. Do I need to up that frequency?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Take this with a grain of salt as im not as experienced with high tech aquariums.
However; Your water looks a little green to me (or maybe it is just the image). If it is... I find that usually something is a miss and my higher light ground plants start to melt (monte carlo especially).

I checked everything and found my nitrates were very high and on top of that I was dosing Thrive C and excel. So I started doing daily large water changes and only dosed micros (flourish) at 1/4 strength and reduced the light (although your light isnt that high right now). The plants started to come back... I feel like Monte Carlo will always tell you if its not happy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumyadipta9 View Post
Well, I had started the tank about 2 weeks before planting. And, during that period, I had kept the filter running and also done a few water changes.

Hence, I am going for a wc per 3-4 days. Do I need to up that frequency?
You should always follow the guidelines to be safe. every day 1st week, every other day 2nd week. This should've been done from the beginning. There is no reason to wait to plant. Anyway yes I would up the water changes and see if things improve. With an Amazonia based tank in the beginning the only issues are going to be lighting and co2. I don't know the light you have but 2-days out I don't think it would affect the plants that quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"you need not a PhD to be a good farmer or aquascaper. Elbow grease likely will serve you better"
- Tom Barr
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Take this with a grain of salt as im not as experienced with high tech aquariums.
However; Your water looks a little green to me (or maybe it is just the image). If it is... I find that usually something is a miss and my higher light ground plants start to melt (monte carlo especially).

I checked everything and found my nitrates were very high and on top of that I was dosing Thrive C and excel. So I started doing daily large water changes and only dosed micros (flourish) at 1/4 strength and reduced the light (although your light isnt that high right now). The plants started to come back... I feel like Monte Carlo will always tell you if its not happy.
Quote:
You should always follow the guidelines to be safe. every day 1st week, every other day 2nd week. This should've been done from the beginning. There is no reason to wait to plant. Anyway yes I would up the water changes and see if things improve. With an Amazonia based tank in the beginning the only issues are going to be lighting and co2. I don't know the light you have but 2-days out I don't think it would affect the plants that quickly.
Thanks, both of you. Point taken, I will up the water change frequency... did one today itself in fact.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Update:

So.. here's the current situation in the tank-
Monte Carlo seems to producing new growth. But a lot of it is dead and frankly, it looks ugly. Wondering if I should just get rid of it or stick with it.

Ludwigia Arcuata has completely melted away, took it all out yesterday. This is the second time I have failed with this plant .

Lilaeopsis B is.. kinda stuck. Some melts here and there, and no sign of growth whatsoever.

The positives:

Decent growth in Marsilea. The root parts are all producing new growth, and quite fast I would say. I am taking out all the top halves gradually.

Stargrass looked dead in the beginning, and some of the stems are indeed dead. But the rest is producing decent new growth. Cut off some tips and replanted them today.

Hydrocotyle is the star of the tank. This bugger is growing fast! #feelssogood

Staurogyne looks alright, but no perceivable growth yet. Some dust type algae on the leaves, but not too bad.

Alternanthera Reineckii showed good signs of growth but not much progress since then. But they look healthy.

Have upped my dosing. Alternating between two pumps of Tropica Specialized and Premium every day. Will cut down if required.

Photoperiod still at 5 hours. Will increase by 30 mins from tomorrow.

Light at 80%, approx 30 watts.

Water change every other day.

Temperature varies between 27 to 29 degrees (when lights are on).
Wondering whether to get a cooling fan With the low humidity, it will reduce 2-3 degrees I think. But I'll have to deal with the evaporation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode