Questions Regarding Buces - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Questions Regarding Buces

Good day.

So after buying a few rhizomes of Bucephalandra sp. I have decided to purchase even more but this time its Bucephalandra sp. Elegant blue. However, the seller was selling these things per GRAMS and I have overestimated how much Buce I was capable of keeping. Now I'm bombarded with Buce and tried to stick everything in these 2 tiny lava rocks that I have. Here are my questions...

Since I have so many Buce in a very tiny hardscape will the plant work it's way in to my substrate? I heard stories of Buce being able to be planted in the substrate with of course their rhizomes exposed. Will it retreat into doing that considering that the rock is already so crowded?

Is it ok to have so much in such a small hardscape? Is it something to be concerned of? Or will it just thrive and grow like its nothing?

Does mixing 2 types of Buce in a small hardscape discouraged? Is it something like Crypts where it hybridize?

Bucephalandra is known to flower overtime, does the flower survive underwater though?

I may have forgotten more questions I was curious for. I really hope you guys would shed some info regarding the topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Decasa View Post
Since I have so many Buce in a very tiny hardscape will the plant work it's way in to my substrate? I heard stories of Buce being able to be planted in the substrate with of course their rhizomes exposed. Will it retreat into doing that considering that the rock is already so crowded?
It will do whatever it can to get the best nutrients with the least amount of effort. Sometimes this is branching off the lava rock if too crowded, and sometimes this is putting out more dense leaves. It will eventually branch off and grow roots down into the substrate, and that is totally fine for it.

Quote:
Is it ok to have so much in such a small hardscape? Is it something to be concerned of? Or will it just thrive and grow like its nothing?
Should be just fine. I've kept Buce on lava rock that completely engulfed the rock, and it grew just fine. To keep shape and encourage new leaf growth, I clip branches that are extending off the rock and are sufficient enough to start a new rock with.

Quote:
Does mixing 2 types of Buce in a small hardscape discouraged? Is it something like Crypts where it hybridize?
Mixing is totally fine, but it does get messy if you want to sell a specific variety to someone. I personally keep them all separate except a clump of "recovery pieces" that are all mixed together. I've not heard of them hybridizing, but I'm not a botanist

Quote:
Bucephalandra is known to flower overtime, does the flower survive underwater though?
The flower opens and then quickly deteriorates. Here's a picture of mine flowering a couple weeks ago

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode