Plants that live submerged and emerged? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Jack B Nimble
  • 1 Post By ipkiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Plants that live submerged and emerged?

There's 1 1/4" of space between the surface and glass lid of one of my tanks, with a piece of driftwood sticking out the top. Is there any plant I can attach to the emerged part of the driftwood? Something that would be alright growing along the surface or down into the water? It couldn't be something tall since the height is limited, so likely a low carpeting plant. So far I've considered Hydrocotyle tripartita. Are there any other plants that would work on the top of a low-tech tank? GH is kept to around 8.4.

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Any Anubias or Bucephelandra will work. Many Cryptocoryne will also work, and I'd recommend making a hole in the wood to plant it in. Hydrocotyle, any variety really, is a good option. I like tripartita 'Japan' because it is smaller than others.

You can also do many mosses like Fissidens (fontanus or fox fold over nicely) or Flame.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:14 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Plus mosses, baby tears, most carpetting plants. Might not be enough space for rotalas and ludwigia and hygrophila, most of which readily go emersed. Long root floaters like Amazon Frogbit and water lettuce are good candidates also, especially as they can take extra light / heat.

A word of caution: where wood breaks the surface is the prime area for algae, especially for BBA, even more so if in direct flow and densely planted. Just something to watch out for.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Algae Grower

Location: I live in Central Canada in the third coldest city in the world= not proud
I started like that with mine sneeking in the odd plant then I thought why put the lid on ?

OVT, Nlewis, Mike A. and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for all the suggestions! My lid will have to stay on, this is for a betta tank.

get out of my house
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:02 AM
Algae Grower

Golden creeping jenny.

Get fiberglass window screen and epoxy and make a little soil planter that hangs off rim barely touching water. 2 layers thick and then I just epoxy some lead plant weight on back side to crimp over rim.

Then plant with pond penny you find at any garden supply this time year already in emerged growing state. Just clip off few small vines of pot, wash throughly to get any fert etc off them and plant in your little bog basket. I just use coco peat and a about 4 osmocote pellets per 1 sq in of peat.

If it’s getting good light will turn bright gold and start creeping up over aquarium rim and out into water.

Last edited by DaveKS; 04-15-2019 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't forget about riccia, also take a look through https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html for ideas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Don't forget about riccia, also take a look through https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html for ideas
@theatermusic87;11197181 I don't run CO2 in my tanks, so my riccia fluitans isn't as full as it is in CO2 tanks. I also read that riccia has to be kept damp while emersed, and I'm not entirely sure if sticking out the top will do that or if the top will dry out.

get out of my house
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

For something like this, does it have to be misted often? Or does the proximity to the aquarium keep the leaves hydrated?

Photo by alexmorada, on Flickr

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; Yesterday at 07:30 AM. Reason: added link
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
it's close enough. for hydrocotyle japan, definitely no misting necessary. look at my emerged mess... never misted. That grew out from a mass underneath, but as you can see as it got further out of the tank, then, it dried out. so, probably an inch of leeway? Maybe more if tank is covered?

Ryan Mosby likes this.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@ipkiss Thank you so much for the reply (and the picture!) I got a huge clump of new hydrocotyle tripartia, bigger than I realized it'd be (buy 2, get one free special!). I know there will be an adjustment period and a lot of it will die off (seems like even if I dose algaecide often and dose ferts once a week, bits of whatever plant I have are dying off and attracting algae) so I'm not gluing it to the driftwood just yet. It sounds like it might be okay to wrap it around the top of the driftwood point though, as long as it's not more than an inch above the water line.

get out of my house
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
For something like this, does it have to be misted often? Or does the proximity to the aquarium keep the leaves hydrated?

Photo by alexmorada, on Flickr
Hey I'm doing the same thing-growing hydro 'japan' out of water on driftwood. So far it has not needed misting-granted I planted it near the surface where wood is wet, it has not grown up past the moist area yet, but I've seen some thick mounds of this stuff growing out of peoples tanks before. IT should be fine.
I should get a photo of mine...its pretty new so not that big yet.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@AquaAurora Looks beautiful! Did you glue it to the driftwood? And if so, how long did you wait after receiving the plant to do so?

get out of my house
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
No need to glue Hydrocotyle - it practically attaches to my glass. It will attach very easily to just about anything you want

Tags
emerged growth, low tech plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode