Can these be trimmed? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By frogmanjared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Can these be trimmed?

Hi Gang, I had these s. repens for a while but they got cast in the shade by some overgrown swords for a while. I removed the swords and the s. repens are starting to come back. The tank has co2 injected and a solid light and ferts. Things grow pretty well overall when they actually catch the light.

But

The s. repens are looking a little gnarley. I was wondering if I could trim them all at once. Like mow them down low in the front and then a little higher as they go back? Should they come back?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's been years since I had some, but got it again recently (haven't hadn't to trim yet). I used to trim the tops and replant, but I think I used to save some rooted stems for propagation. Someone else could help you out more, since my memory is hazy!
Ray Jrr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can do it either way. I prefer to leave one or two sets of leaves on the stump (number of leaves really depends on my shakey hands...). The more often you do this, it seems to encourage lateral growth.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
In case anyone finds this post down the road, Here's how it's going. I mowed them down and replanted the tops. Lets see how it works out.

Tags
light, s. repens, trimming plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode