• 2 Post By harris611
  • 1 Post By Ventchur
  • 1 Post By AguaScape

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant help for unique aquascape

This is my first post regarding a new tank build (I am new to planted aquariums, but have done reef). Been lurking here a while, but need some specific advice on plant choice for an aquascape that has a lot of variation in lighting levels.

Quick tank summary: 24" rimless cube, Radion XR15FW G4 Pro LED, CO2 injection (in-line diffuser), Fluval G6 filter, ADA Aqua Soil, EI ferts via dosing pump. I am starting with an Iwagumi-style carpet-only (or at least predominant) tank and am going to give HC a try.

First off, with "Pride Rock" dead center, I have a serious shadow to deal with. I tried to make that shadowed portion rock heavy, but would like to have something growing there. Was thinking maybe Java Moss, but its not my favorite. Kinda messy looking. Would love any suggestions on a low light, low growing plant that won't take off and obscure the cliff / elevation effect I'm going for.

Second, I think it might look cool to get something growing up the slope on top of the central stone. Again, looking at mosses that could grow on the rock, but can also take the intensity of light right under the fixture (maybe Christmas?).

I've searched here and Googled a lot, but have not found anything really definitive -- so thought I'd ask. Any advice welcome.

Bump: Quick pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquascape2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	880297  

mgeorges and AguaScape like this.

Last edited by harris611; 04-09-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

Im digging this.. Cube tank, dope rock work and a cleanly wall mounted radion with no visible cord.

For moss

- Mini christmas moss
- Mini pelia
- Weeping moss

For plants in the shadow

- Small leafed buce
- Anubias Petite
AguaScape likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@harris611
Wow! What a great start! The tank, dragonstone hardscape, and light are gorgeous. The hard slope and dramatic angles really pop. I also love the way you created dams in the slope by strategic placement of rocks.

You will get some light deflection into the shaded area once you have water and some surface agitation. Small anubias, buces, and some crypts would love that indirect light.

I will be watching how this goes because I have a 60g Mr. Aqua cube and I still have not decided which direction to go with it.
Discusluv likes this.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Much appreciated! I'll start looking into those plant options more thoroughly. And thanks for the kind words! I'm excited to really get going now that most of the infrastructure is in place. I'm going to do a tank build thread if you want to watch me make mistakes in front of a festival crowd.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Beautiful start. It appears our minds work in similar ways. You just pulled it off a whole lot better!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a good look -- I like the Waterbox and almost went that way, but got a good deal on the Aquamaxx. Do you like it so far?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

So far I like it. Really nice silicone work! I've been sidelined with other projects so haven't done anything with it other than this. I'm still second guessing my hardscape. This is supposed to be for my betta, not sure if I want to keep the jagged dragon stone with him. Maybe if I soften it up with some moss and fissidens.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Anubias and buce are great suggestions for the shaded area. After all, Anubias is named after Anubis "god of the afterlife" because it was discovered growing in shaded areas. However, I personally would hate to see all that cool rockwork and those lines blocked by plants in that spot

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode