What Are These? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question What Are These?

I have these plants in my tank and I have no idea what they are. Can anyone here help me identify them?

You can see the size of the one on the driftwood as compared to the Neon, though the neon is closer to the camera... plant is about the size of a quarter as a whole.

As for the others on the rocks, these have their longest leaves at just about an inch and a half long currently. I've also found what I believe to be tiny versions of this growing on other plants in my tank such as some crypts that are not in these pictures. When I do find these, they tend to be on the tip of the crypt leaf and have turned the last quarter to half inch of said leaf a dark black where it would normally be a vibrant green. I suspect this to be a parasitic relationship, but I'm not certain since I have no idea what the thing is.

Any help in identifying these would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plant1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	880241  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	880243  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:28 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The bottom picture appears to be Java Fern (and perhaps some Cladophora)

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The bottom picture appears to be Java Fern (and perhaps some Cladophora)
Looking for pictures of various plants I had convinced myself that it wasn't java fern, but I revisited that Google search after your response with more focus and found a few pictures of younger java fern that look almost identical to what I have in my tank. Also, the way Java fern produces small plantlets that can detach and reattach somewhere else in the tank further supports this conclusion as I see this happening - The follow up question here then is should I remove these plantlets from my other plants and put them somewhere else? I probably will from an aesthetic view, but are they damaging my other plants when they attach? In any case, I'm happily content to know what that one is now. Thank you @Darkblade48!

Still clueless on the first Plant though. It's been in the tank for a month or two at this point and hasn't really grown much at all. Not sure if that helps anyone narrow it down or not.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:34 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The small plantlets of Java Fern will self detach once they reach a reasonable size. They don't anchor down particularly quickly, so once you notice one in a spot you don't want, you can still move them quite easily.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think the small plant might be a species of bucephalandra.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode