Whats wrong with this plant - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Whats wrong with this plant

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can tell me what's ailing this plant. I don't remember the species but the leaves look like they are wilting. I am currently using the EI method. I dose macros one day and the micros the next. My tank is 56 gallons (36x18x20). I start dosing Co2 2 hours before lights on and stop dosing 1 hour before lights out. My lights are Twinstar 900sa and are on for 8 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190404_124426.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	880041  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, so no response. Is it that this plant looks fine to you or is it that nobody knows what the problem could be or do I need to supply more info?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:43 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Maybe a full tank shot and some water parameters?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you OVT. So my parameters are, ph=6.4, GH=5, KH=3, Po4=0.25, and No3=5.0

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190406_130418.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	880149  

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (63/100%)
Hi @chulai48,

With only 5 ppm of nitrates is suspect you are under-dosing nitrate and possible other nutrients as well. If you have verified your dosing levels lately I suggest you do.

That said, the picture you first provided any provided a couple of clues, the picture above, when enlarged and enhanced helped a little more.

If you look closer at the two plants the arrows are pointing towards you will see what appears to be interveinal chlorosis (yellow leaves with veins remaining green). Interveinal chlorosis can be caused by a number of factors, the two most common a lack of iron or a lack of magnesium. If it is a lack of magnesium (Mg) normally the leaves will emerge looking more or less normal green, reasonably straight and flat then as the leaf matures the leaves will become puckered (sometimes twisted), the areas between the veins of the leaves will start to yellow (with the veins remaining green), finally necrosis (dead leaf tissue) will occur. It is not unusual for older leaves to die prematurely and with stem plants the stems to develop fungus or rot.

If it is a lack of iron the new leaves will emerge with interveinal chlorosis and remain that way.

A closer picture of the newer and older leaves on the plants with arrows may give us a better idea.
pweifan and RCB like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much Seatle Aquarist for the detailed response. I will address those issues immediately. This is my first attempt with a planted tank and obviously, I have a lot to learn. I am having fun though. Thanks again for your help.
RCB likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulai48 View Post
Thank you OVT. So my parameters are, ph=6.4, GH=5, KH=3, Po4=0.25, and No3=5.0
Curious you said EI dosing but NO3 5ppm and PO4 .25ppm are a VERY long way from EI levels.

How much light and how long is it on? If you have decent lighting your plants are most likely starving.

But if you really want help, you should list as much as you can about the tank. CO2 injection method/pH drop, lighting, maintenance schedule, actual dosing, etc, etc.

Just saying that the odds of someone helping you by looking a picture of one plant is highly unlikely.

------------------
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Greggz, Thank you for responding to my request for help. As to my EI dosing, maybe I should have said the GLA PPS method. I dose 10 ml of the macro mix and 5 ml of the micro mix both daily as per the recommendations by GLA for my sized tank. I do a 50% water change weekly. My light is a Twinstar 900sa and is on for 8 hours at about 70%. I deliver my Co2 via an in-tank glass diffuser. My regulator is a Victor dual chamber. I calculate my Co2 concentration to be around 27 ppm based on my most recent KH and pH readings. my Co2 turns on (via timer) 2 hrs before lights on and goes off 1 hr before lights off. During the time my Co2 is off, my pH is 7.0 and within an hr or so of the Co2 being on, the pH drops to around 6.8 and as the day progresses, the pH drops to around 6.3/6.4. As I mentioned previously, I am new to planted tanks and trying to figure things out. I thought this endeavor would be a little simpler than running a reef tank (I have been running reef tanks since 1986). It looks like I may have underestimated the amount of skill and knowledge it takes to be successful in this hobby but I intend to keep going until I get it right. Thanks for your help.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you so much Seatle Aquarist for the detailed response. I will address those issues immediately. This is my first attempt with a planted tank and obviously, I have a lot to learn. I am having fun though. Thanks again for your help.
Hi @chulai48,

If you would like more specific guidance please provide the additional pictures I requested.

-Roy

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, Roy, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but when I tried to add more than 1 photo to the attachments the most recent photo I upload is replaced by the next upload. It seems that I am only able to attach 1 photo per post. However, I will try again to post a series of photos.

OK, so here are some more photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190406_130426.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	880231  

Name:	IMG_20190406_130418.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	880233  

Name:	IMG_20190406_130408.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	880235  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-09-2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @chulai48,

I agree with @Greggz that your nutrient levels are low if you are dosing using the Estimative Index (EI) method. Increase your dosing proportionally on all of your nutrients so nitrates are about 20 ppm. Your dGH is on the low side at dGH=5 and I see no signs of a lack of calcium; however there seems to be a definite lack of magnesium as indicated by the curled leaf margins, 'cupped' leaves, and the interveinal chlorosis on the older leaves.

Along with the increase in dosing your EI nutrients let's try adding some additional magnesium to your dosing. Go to your local drug store and purchase some Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate / MgSO4*7H2O), get the cheapest stuff on the shelf with no additives, scents, or perfumes. When you get home do an initial dose of 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons, this will add 6.6 ppm of Mg to your tank and increase the hardness by about 1.5 dGH. Thereafter, when you do your weekly water changes add 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom Salt per 10 gallons of new water added.

Now the hard part........waiting. During the next two weeks watch the new leaves as they emerge. Do they look greener, less curled, healthier, possibly larger? You may also see an increase in the growth rate of your plants. Do not watch the existing leaves, they will not change and may continue to decline and die. After two weeks we will re-evaluate and see how things look. Feel free to post questions and pictures as things progress. Hope this helps! -Roy
Greggz and varanidguy like this.

Roy_________

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, Roy. I will pick up the Epsom Salt today and dose as you suggest along with increasing my EI dosing. I'll watch closely and post again with updates good or bad in a few weeks. Thanks again Roy.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

UPDATE: After applying Seatle Aquarists' suggestions, the subject plants are looking much better. In fact, I the tank in general looks healthier. I will try to upload some current photos later today. Thank you Seatle Aquarist.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I am currently using the EI method. I dose macros one day and the micros the next. My tank is 56 gallons (36x18x20).
Quote:
As to my EI dosing, maybe I should have said the GLA PPS method. I dose 10 ml of the macro mix and 5 ml of the micro mix both daily as per the recommendations by GLA for my sized tank. I do a 50% water change weekly.
Alternate days or daily?
Quote:
I will pick up the Epsom Salt today and dose as you suggest ...
Did you mix the macros solution without MgSO4?

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

&

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
UPDATE: After applying Seatle Aquarists' suggestions, the subject plants are looking much better. In fact, I the tank in general looks healthier. I will try to upload some current photos later today. Thank you Seatle Aquarist.
Hi @chulai48,

I am glad the suggestions helped and I especially appreciate the feedback!

-Roy

Roy_________

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode