• 1 Post By Mike A.
  • 1 Post By Crazygar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hemianthus callitrichoides - Experimental Growth

It all happened by accident.

I purchased 2 tubs of In-Vitro HC 'Cuba' from Hortlabs. I am currently starting a Nano Tank using the DSM and I've been dying to try HC for a long time now. When the tubs arrived, I was floored at the superb condition these plants where. Amazing, but I was about to receive a shock when I prepared these for planting.

Instructions state, remove from container, clean off Gel and plant (roots down) into the substrate. Easy enough. I removed the first HC Puck, from the Gel, flipped it over and was shocked to see --- NO ROOTS. Seriously, not one.

How am I going to plant this? Then a simple experiment from Grade School came into mind, the seed and wet paper towel. The seed was able to grow in the paper towel fine. The root grew horizontal in the same orientation of the seed. Then you plant it root down.

So, by science and by gravity, simply placing these onto the substrate (giving them a little press with my thumb), these should develop roots and anchor themselves into the substrate.

I cleaned up the pucks, cut them up and had more than enough to place all over my substrate. I've looked all over the Internet a few people have grown this plant on Driftwood and rocks. Some reports I question, others I know to be 100% genuine (James Findlay being one of them).

So I've decided to run this experiment to see if this will actually work. If it doesn't work, Iwill purchase more that have visible root systems from somewhere else. If it works, I found a relatively painless way to get HC to root in an Aquarium using the Dry Start Method (DSM).

Soil is moist, and the humidity is at 75%.

If anyone has information regarding this, please chime in. I would love to hear views on this.

Gary
mbkemp and adkaquascaping like this.

Last edited by Crazygar; 10-24-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: wrong plant name in title of thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

As long as you keep the substrate wet, and the humidity up so they don't die in the mean time, the should root. I bought a bunch of MC like that. And it ended up in an emersed tank rather than the desired aquarium because of no roots. It's growing well now. Granted, still not in the desired tank, so using dsm in target tank you *should* be okay. Just do not let them dry out.

What happened is they probably did not change their growth regulators in the tissue culture media. If there is adequate carbon in it still, and depending on the plant growth regulators in it, they won't grow roots at all, until the media is becoming depleted.

It's great when multiplying them, they spend zero energy on growing roots you're gonna cut off. But if they don't change the media composition for sale packaging, you end up with that still. It's a hard balance making sure they will grow to nice size in those cups and still grow roots once you transfer from multiplication containers to sale ones. Plants grow roots to seek nutrients. In tc plants, you give them carbon (can grow in dark, don't need to make sugar since you give to them). You give all macro/micro nutrients with basal salts and other supplement in media. You give the growth regulators to override what the plant is producing in it's meristems and make it grow like you want it to. Want no roots? Np. Want no shoot growth? Np. Want to make them grow as undifferentiated callus and create somatic embryos? Np.

Now that gel is gone, the plant will rely on its own growth regulators. Or lack thereof. It's likely not producing much since the media was. In the lack of any regulators added to media, they'll grow roots (or with different mix of regulators but still adding them). Itll realize there's no more supply of everything and start to compensate on it's own. As long as they stay in very very high humidity and on wet substation, you'll get roots. Just keep that lid closed so they don't dry out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Crazygar and swarley like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really thorough explanation. @adkaquascaping I enjoyed it.

Also, OP, did you mean hemianthus callitrichoides ? H. Micranthemoides is pearlweed I believe. Grows taller than HC.
adkaquascaping likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@swarley; yes. Between not wearing my glasses and Auto correct, sometimes things get interesting.
@adkaquascaping; thank you for confirming what I figured would happen. Soil is moist, humidity between 70 - 85%, temp 77F.

I expose the tank for 15 min a day and keep a 1" gap at the back of the Aquarium during the day. At night it gets covered up. Misted twice a day.

I will keep everyone updated as things progress or don't.

Gary

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
mbkemp and swarley like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
Really thorough explanation. @adkaquascaping I enjoyed it.

Also, OP, did you mean hemianthus callitrichoides ? H. Micranthemoides is pearlweed I believe. Grows taller than HC.
Lack of rooting is why ive been tweaking my own rooting media to find out how low I have to cut nutrients. And gotta make sure you don't use too much agar. Most of them do not like media that's nearly as solid. I've had E. parvula (dwarf hair grass) refuse to grow runners, and only grow roots between agar and container walls because agar was too firm. Hah. Darn things. Picky AF. I thought I'd just transfer techniques from terrestrial and run with it. Nope. Gotta optimize each phase of media for each plant. Far more work starting up than I anticipated haha. I love it though
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkaquascaping View Post
Lack of rooting is why ive been tweaking my own rooting media to find out how low I have to cut nutrients. And gotta make sure you don't use too much agar. Most of them do not like media that's nearly as solid. I've had E. parvula (dwarf hair grass) refuse to grow runners, and only grow roots between agar and container walls because agar was too firm. Hah. Darn things. Picky AF. I thought I'd just transfer techniques from terrestrial and run with it. Nope. Gotta optimize each phase of media for each plant. Far more work starting up than I anticipated haha. I love it though
Sounds like a lot of fun actually. =D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
It's been many years since I've done this stuff but the basics haven't changed much. Beyond standard nutrients adding auxins to your media will greatly stimulate root growth. Kinetin/cytokinins will stimulate more vegetative growth but roots usually are more what you want for propagation purposes. Also for more root growth typically you'd want to go with a softer agar say 1/2-1/4 normal. As you note, the specifics need to be worked out for particular plants but using phytohormones as above will let you better tailor the growth. Plate up a range of concentrations to see what works best and then go from there to better optimize.

I've not tried to use them for aquarium plants but there are off-the-shelf rooting compounds that you can get easily if you don't have access to lab grade products which should work well for DSM use, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-F...words=fastroot
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
It's been many years since I've done this stuff but the basics haven't changed much. Beyond standard nutrients adding auxins to your media will greatly stimulate root growth. Kinetin/cytokinins will stimulate more vegetative growth but roots usually are more what you want for propagation purposes. Also for more root growth typically you'd want to go with a softer agar say 1/2-1/4 normal. As you note, the specifics need to be worked out for particular plants but using phytohormones as above will let you better tailor the growth. Plate up a range of concentrations to see what works best and then go from there to better optimize.

I've not tried to use them for aquarium plants but there are off-the-shelf rooting compounds that you can get easily if you don't have access to lab grade products which should work well for DSM use, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-F...words=fastroot
Access it's no issue. I cashed in out my retirement to build a lab. I went to college for biotech, ended up in semiconductors... So i decided to build my own company from the ground up I worked on the American Chestnut Project in college. Done everything from plasmid design and putting plant genes into bacteria, to using bacteria to put genes into plants, tissue culture work (from embryo rescue right on through to hardening off plantlets).

All very solid info tho.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Planted Member

I recently bought some Cryptocoryne Parva tissue culture with about the same problem. The plants are extremely tiny, and the roots are about 1/8th of an inch or less long, not long enough to grab into the soil. What I did is to put them in a container with some aqua soil, and put some water (using a spray bottle) in but not enough to float. Then cover with plastic wrap. I put it in a window. I will plant when the roots get longer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I contacted HortLabs in Croatia, and I am indeed going about it the right way (as I suspected, hearing others chime in confirms this). They stated a similar response to adkaquascaping and said that pressing lightly or just leaving on the soil is the correct method.

I have some comparison pictures below to show I am actually getting growth as well;

Initial planting

Last night. There is visible growth on the HC mat (and my Buce, but that's a different story entirely).

Gary
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Access it's no issue. I cashed in out my retirement to build a lab. I went to college for biotech, ended up in semiconductors... So i decided to build my own company from the ground up I worked on the American Chestnut Project in college. Done everything from plasmid design and putting plant genes into bacteria, to using bacteria to put genes into plants, tissue culture work (from embryo rescue right on through to hardening off plantlets).

All very solid info tho.

Ahhh... My background is similar. Worked a lot with cellular-level hybridization and culture of resulting lines through full plants. Later worked at a commercial operation for a while. Then also went over to the tech dark side. You're in good shape then. You have what you need to do it right and know what you're up against as far as contamination, etc. I see people here and elsewhere trying to culture things at home all the time. Pretty much know how that's going to turn out before they even start. ; )

Now just go create an algae-resistant low-light carpeting hybrid and you'll be rich. ; ) Good luck with the company!

Tags
dsm;hc, hc ;cuba, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode