Hygro Siamensis Deficiency? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Seattle_Aquarist, NO3 is always around 20-40 ppm in my tank, and I dose rarely. I might add 10ppm every few weeks. As for K, it's not as available as NO3 and I was dosing it at about the same levels, even more. I figured by now it accumulated since I was continuously dosing it about 25 ppm weekly. As for my K levels, I think I might've got the 2:2:1 ratio gh booster a while back. Sadly it doesn't say the ratios on the bag, and I overestimated the amount of K I was adding. Hopefully that's the case. Thanks a lot as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (63/100%)
Hi @Igor95,

Something to consider, if you are 'rarely dosing' KNO3 then the only source of potassium for your tank is whatever is in your tap water plus the potassium in the K2SO4 (if you are dosing that), the small amount of potassium in KH2PO4, and the potassium in your GH Booster. CSM+B contains no potassium.

I believe your tank is a 75 gallon? Exactly what are you dosing? How much? How often?

KNO3

K2SO4

KH2PO4

GH Booster

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I get about 25 K from GH Booster weekly, which is the only thing I dose weekly, other than the micros daily.
For some reason, I can't do weekly dosing without getting crazy accumulation after a few weeks. My plants use very little for some reason, even though everything is abundant. My NO3 never bottoms out like some people, I don't know why. It's always at 20 at lowest. I had a problem before where I was dosing EI and NO3 was showing 80+, (blood red test). That's why I dose about 10ppm once every few weeks when the test shows about 20ppm. As for PO4, I dose 2 ppm weekly, also never bottoms out. When I was dosing EI, the test kit was reading 10+ppm, and I had a cyano problem at the time. I then switched to half EI dosing and the same thing happened. Now I don't have an exact weekly dosage. I really want to get to the bottom of this and fix it...

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (118/100%)
Forget the test kits, unless you have a photometer they are just guessing a ballpark and probably off in the first place.

You added more light for two days. More light creates more demand for nutrients. You're running low on something to begin with and the situation got worse/more symptoms appeared. No surprise there

Dose 25 ppm KNO3, 5 ppm PO4 and 35 K (total counting whats in KNO3) - per week. For a week or two and see what happens.

Personally I would dry dose about 10 NO3 and 3 PO4 right now then start the above amounts.

Or you can do what Roy said. Either way will tell you something

Last edited by burr740; 10-19-2018 at 08:14 PM. Reason: .
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, I'll get on that right now.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Igor95,

Quote:
For some reason, I can't do weekly dosing without getting crazy accumulation after a few weeks. My plants use very little for some reason, even though everything is abundant. My NO3 never bottoms out like some people, I don't know why. It's always at 20 at lowest. I had a problem before where I was dosing EI and NO3 was showing 80+, (blood red test). That's why I dose about 10ppm once every few weeks when the test shows about 20ppm. As for PO4, I dose 2 ppm weekly, also never bottoms out.
I have one tank similar to yours. It typically runs higher than the rest of my tanks for nitrates (NO3). I attribute it to the fact that it has a moderate fish population and I feed all my tanks twice a day. Obviously with more fish I feed that tank more, resulting in more fish waste and more 'natural' nitrates. Many popular fish foods contain phosphates, some of the higher phosphate levels are found in some of the Cobalt foods and to my surprise Frozen Brine Shrimp! So if the phosphate levels in your tank don't seem to drop it could be the food.

For almost all my tanks I am dosing EI with the KNO3 at 1/2 the 'normal' dose and adding 'extra' K2SO4 to make up for the potassium I am not dosing as KNO3 seems to work; I monitor my water parameters monthly unless an issue seems to appear. For the next couple of weeks let's see how the plants respond to the higher dGH with the extra calcium.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Igor95,

I have one tank similar to yours. It typically runs higher than the rest of my tanks for nitrates (NO3). I attribute it to the fact that it has a moderate fish population and I feed all my tanks twice a day. Obviously with more fish I feed that tank more, resulting in more fish waste and more 'natural' nitrates. Many popular fish foods contain phosphates, some of the higher phosphate levels are found in some of the Cobalt foods and to my surprise Frozen Brine Shrimp! So if the phosphate levels in your tank don't seem to drop it could be the food.

For almost all my tanks I am dosing EI with the KNO3 at 1/2 the 'normal' dose and adding 'extra' K2SO4 to make up for the potassium I am not dosing as KNO3 seems to work; I monitor my water parameters monthly unless an issue seems to appear. For the next couple of weeks let's see how the plants respond to the higher dGH with the extra calcium.
I feed frozen brine shrimp a few times a week, so there's that. So what you're saying is to keep everything as is and only add GH Booster weekly with the daily micros? Or should I dose the Ca/Mg Sulfate at 30:10?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Igor95,

I would dose the GH Booster for the next two weeks as your source for Ca, Mg, and you get the benefit of K as well.

Roy_________

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Igor95,

I would dose the GH Booster for the next two weeks as your source for Ca, Mg, and you get the benefit of K as well.
Ok, got it. Thanks for your time Roy!
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
For some reason, I can't do weekly dosing without getting crazy accumulation after a few weeks. My plants use very little for some reason, even though everything is abundant. My NO3 never bottoms out like some people, I don't know why. It's always at 20 at lowest. I had a problem before where I was dosing EI and NO3 was showing 80+, (blood red test). That's why I dose about 10ppm once every few weeks when the test shows about 20ppm. As for PO4, I dose 2 ppm weekly, also never bottoms out.
First of all I agree with Burr (that's easy to do!) about increasing macros.

But you bring up a mistake I think many people make. They dose based on a preconceived notion as to what they think their levels should be, not where they actually see the best results. In your case, you mention crazy accumulation and a problem with a blood red NO3 test. Those aren't problems in my book.

When I started out, I was convinced that with my heavy fish load I should need to dose very little or no NO3 or PO4. I expected it to be true, and I wanted it to be true. Funny thing is every time I raised my dosing, plants did better. Every time I lowered it, plants did worse. I went through this cycle many times.

Now I dose MORE than EI into a heavily stocked tank. If I based my dosing on not bottoming out, my plants would hate me.

Just saying, don't be afraid to experiment, and don't rely on your preconceived notions. Rely on what the plants are telling you.
Seattle_Aquarist and Sarpijk like this.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode