• 1 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By Igor95
  • 1 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mermaid Weed Deficiency

I've had it in the tank for about a month and it hasn't grown much. The growth that is present is droopy and the leaves roll inward like a straw. Only 1 stem so far has converted to the submersed form, the one on the left side. You can see the tallest stem with the leaves curled down/inward. NO3 is 20-40ish, po4 1-2, K around 20. Micros 1/8 daily. Consistent co2 about 1ph drop. Everything else is growing fine. I figured by now the plant would have enough time to get into the submersed state. No rot going on either. Really weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (63/100%)
Hi @Igor95,

Do you have any water parameters for me please? pH, dKH, dGH

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah Roy, PH is 6.2 after co2, 7.2 morning. KH 2 GH 2, I add 2 tbsp of gh booster after wc. Will raise to 3 next week. Was slowly acclimating the stock 1 tbsp per week

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mermaid Weed is probably still converting. Sometimes the transition is rough on plants. Buying submersed is a much better idea.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I think all you need now is patience.

If anything, I'd up all macros a bit, as you are barely dosing anything. Forget the readings for a bit and focus on how the plants react to dosing. My tank would hate me with 2ppm of P in the water column.

I'd try dosing 30 N & at least 3ppm P (or more) for a week or two and see what happens.

And don't be paranoid about P, I highly doubt it had anything to do with your Cyano outbreak. Plants in general love it.
burr740 likes this.

------------------
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (63/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
Yeah Roy, PH is 6.2 after co2, 7.2 morning. KH 2 GH 2, I add 2 tbsp of gh booster after wc. Will raise to 3 next week. Was slowly acclimating the stock 1 tbsp per week
Hi Igor95,

@Greggz is correct, those stems are still transitioning from immersed growth to submerged growth however the red Ludwigia(?) in the background is showing the same curling leaf margins and the Rotala(?) on the left is looking a little 'washed out'. I don't see any signs of an iron insufficiency; your nitrates seem good. I would keep increasing your dGH getting the calcium and magnesium levels higher and see if the symptoms diminish.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, thanks guys. @Greggz, I don't dose NO3 as I have plenty of it in the water, it never bottoms out, always at least 20 ppm, so I dose gh booster to even out the K and get the Ca/Mg. I have super soft water here in NY. I'll up the dose to 3 tbsp of gh booster and raise po4 to 3. I'm not worried really, I'm just curious why 1-2 stems converted and the others are curled and look really miserable. @Seattle_Aquarist, I'm getting 0.8 Fe weekly 1/8 tsp daily except Sunday. I'll keep you updated.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Alright, thanks guys. @Greggz, I don't dose NO3 as I have plenty of it in the water, it never bottoms out, always at least 20 ppm, so I dose gh booster to even out the K and get the Ca/Mg.
I wouldn't assume the N from fish is plenty. Waste from fish rarely is enough for any planted tank. Again, forget the reading and watch the plants.

Like I said about P, if I didn't dose N, my plants would rebel. How do I know? I've tried it a bunch of times.

Just saying you need to find out what works in your tank. That means not being afraid to experiment. IME, high ferts do not cause algae, and happy growing plants are your best defense.

In my tank, I dose higher than EI levels in a heavily stocked tank. Not saying that's for everyone, but suggesting you might find you need more than you are dosing now.
burr740 likes this.

------------------
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, will do

Last edited by Igor95; 10-08-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Algae Grower

Same plant, same boat as you. I live on Long Island and we too have 30-40 ppm Nitrates in the water. Been using NilocG dry ferts, GH booster, CSM+B and Fe added. I have my plants now 3 weeks and many leaves are gone. The outer tips on some of them are yellow/brown. All are emersed with very little submersed (Cuban) leaf. Mine came from PlantedAquaquarium Central. I was wondering if a 5% Clorox dip might have did them in. I have a Fluval Planted 3.0 (16" to substrate). pH with CO2 is 6.4, GH 6, KH 2. CO2 on DC is light green/green. I am still dialing it in. Only added pressurized CO2 a week ago. Plants were in the tank for 2 weeks without. 76 deg F. Only difference is that I have been adding the full NO3 for the EI dosing. Following the concentrations for EI listed at NilocG website. Weekly water changes of 10 gal in a 29 gal tank. My Temple plant is finally reddening up and growing leaves. No height thought. Foxtail hasa doubled in height. S repens has nearly carpeted the section I wanted to do. Bacopa Carolina is to be used more like a small bush is growing great. Crypt undulata and Wendtii red are starting to throw off more leaves. Buce and anubia petite are also doing fine. Even the algae growing on my wood is pearling (7" from light). I am only concerned with my Mermaid weed and temple plants and I think the temple, with all the roots it has shot out all over the place and the fact the leaves are starting to grow might be out of the woods. All of my plants were purchased at the same time in a new tank from that supplier. Really was impressed with how they shipped and packed. Really great and would use them again.

I am hoping your issues might be mine as well.

All the best.

Frank
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Algae Grower

Can anyone tell me what the growth rate is for mermaid weed? (like 1 inch per what duration if possible)

Thanks

Frank
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well guys, most stems rotted, I think it was just a bad emersed batch honestly. Everything else is growing very well. I'll pick up some submerged stems from someone on here, hopefully they do better. Thanks guys. @Fly2High, I got my plants from the same site, never had problems before. We got the same mermaid weed from the same batch probably. It's rotting brown/black from the inside stem part of the leaf.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Well guys, most stems rotted, I think it was just a bad emersed batch honestly. Everything else is growing very well. I'll pick up some submerged stems from someone on here, hopefully they do better. Thanks guys. @Fly2High, I got my plants from the same site, never had problems before. We got the same mermaid weed from the same batch probably. It's rotting brown/black from the inside stem part of the leaf.

Any update on how the new submerged stuff is doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

For me, I had a real bad outbreak of BGA and turned the water a pea soup green. Took a while to finally get rid of it. Not sure but the Erythromycin I think is what finally worked.

Everything took a hit even my bulletproof Hygrofilia augustifolia. It think you could boil this stuff and it would still grow. I think it was starved of light by the BGA and it lost all its leaves. Since it had rooted, believe it or not, it is sending out new leaves from what looks like an empty stem.

The mermaid weed all rotted away..... but one. It’s leaves are with some algae but it is very slowly showing the possibility of life. I have very slow growth of a few new leaves in a small cluster. Who knows, maybe it will make it and I can repopulate from the one. Here’s to wishful thinking
The first two show the mermaid weed with the hygro in the background. The last is more Hygrofilia augustifolia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0ECBD04-2CC9-41C2-B7CB-C4D136BFD961_1541377093168.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	871989  

Name:	0697785C-5E78-4D83-AEC5-153B504807B3_1541377105922.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	871991  

Name:	E029B14A-0B69-44A2-99F0-F0E0673EFE45_1541377119882.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	871993  

Frank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode