Low light carpet grass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low light carpet grass

Are there any low light carpet grasses out there. Building a 125 gallon with C02

125 Gallon, C02, planted tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Depends on how low of light. Dwarf hair grass will grow in low light with CO2, but it will be quite slow. Another option, though not as fine of a "grassy" look would be dwarf sag. That will grow in surprisingly low light, and if you decide to go that route, hit me up in a PM
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mosses would be another option for a low light tank. If you use a stainless steel mesh or slate rocks to anchor java moss, or a fissidens variety, you can create a carpet and simply trim the moss down when it starts to grow higher than you want it. I like this because it doesn't require much intervention besides shaking the moss every so often to dislodge any dirt/debris that has settled on it.

You can see in this video how it looks when you place several of the steel mesh anchored mosses side-by-side:

.`.`..`.><(((>

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Honestly, I run high light without CO2, and DHG are perpetually just there. Doesn't really grow, it'll send out runners but take forever to create a carpet. You know what seems to be doing an AMMAZING job though? Dwarf sag, they're so easy and sends runners everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Mosses would be another option for a low light tank. If you use a stainless steel mesh or slate rocks to anchor java moss, or a fissidens variety, you can create a carpet and simply trim the moss down when it starts to grow higher than you want it. I like this because it doesn't require much intervention besides shaking the moss every so often to dislodge any dirt/debris that has settled on it.

You can see in this video how it looks when you place several of the steel mesh anchored mosses side-by-side:
Phoenix Moss Fissidens Fontanus Pads - YouTube
Nice! It looks like it can grow on bare bottom, instant sodding. How’s long term maintenance? Does it require thinning periodically like many Capet plants with die off from thatch built up.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Nice! It looks like it can grow on bare bottom, instant sodding. How’s long term maintenance? Does it require thinning periodically like many Capet plants with die off from thatch built up.
Yes it can! I have several moss species attached to slate rocks and steel mesh in a bare 10 gallon right now and it's all very happy. Long term maintenance has been easy in my experience with all low light moss varieties. These mosses are very slow growing so once you have the height you want on the carpet you probably won't need to do much more than the occasional trim.

Most of these mosses are so well-adapted to low lighting that the moss being blocked from light at the top of the tank will actually start to grow toward other light sources, including lights in adjacent tanks and even house lamps and ceiling lights or windows nearby. That seems to prevent any die-off at the "base" of the moss (this is another possible benefit of having a bare bottom tank, it can take in light from below too).

The one time I will say to expect some normal browning and die-off is when you first buy the moss; if it was grown in a commercial setting in a pond in Asia or without CO2 you may see that happen because of the drastic change in conditions but just leave the moss alone (don't trim off any brown parts immediately) and you'll see it recover nicely as it adjusts over a month or so.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yes it can! I have several moss species attached to slate rocks and steel mesh in a bare 10 gallon right now and it's all very happy. Long term maintenance has been easy in my experience with all low light moss varieties. These mosses are very slow growing so once you have the height you want on the carpet you probably won't need to do much more than the occasional trim.

Most of these mosses are so well-adapted to low lighting that the moss being blocked from light at the top of the tank will actually start to grow toward other light sources, including lights in adjacent tanks and even house lamps and ceiling lights or windows nearby. That seems to prevent any die-off at the "base" of the moss (this is another possible benefit of having a bare bottom tank, it can take in light from below too).

The one time I will say to expect some normal browning and die-off is when you first buy the moss; if it was grown in a commercial setting in a pond in Asia or without CO2 you may see that happen because of the drastic change in conditions but just leave the moss alone (don't trim off any brown parts immediately) and you'll see it recover nicely as it adjusts over a month or so.
Do you know what the size of these mats are? Dimensions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec

RAOK CLUB #0
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:28 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Do you know what the size of these mats are? Dimensions?
They come in 3 by 3 inch size and 1,5 by 1.5 inch size in this mail order place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fissidens-F...item213cc83001

How does it spread out. Will it attach to glass or you have to provide a substrate for it to grap on. Will the mesh disappear out of sight as the moss thickens.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 AM
Planted Member

Quote:

Phoenix Moss Fissidens Fontanus Pads - YouTube
I'm like watching that video and I thought to myself why is it so dark, the person must of used a crappy phone camera. And I also attach my moss the exact same way, Opps that's my video lol. To OP you can always try micro chain sword it's crazy slow growing but it will carpet in about 6+ months. If you want to go the moss way and still want a "grassy" look, try flame moss.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Raith what's your algae situation running high light without co2?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
@Raith what's your algae situation running high light without co2?
Had cyanobacteria when I first started, it is mildly planted, dirted with sand cap, no algae, it's balanced now I think, but yeah, had some GSA but that went away. I do dose EI.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec

RAOK CLUB #0
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
I'm like watching that video and I thought to myself why is it so dark, the person must of used a crappy phone camera. And I also attach my moss the exact same way, Opps that's my video lol. To OP you can always try micro chain sword it's crazy slow growing but it will carpet in about 6+ months. If you want to go the moss way and still want a "grassy" look, try flame moss.
I think Flame moss have a"wild grass" look, grow tall and weedy. Fissidens have a tidy "lawn grass" look, and grow shorter. Am I correct or the Fissidens have been trimmed to look tidy.?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Raith, like @Tiger15 said they are typically sold in 3"x 3" or 3"x 1.5" or 1.5 x 1.5" mesh sizes. The rarer varieties tend to be on smaller mesh sizes and more expensive. But you can always buy your own stainless steel mesh in any size, buy a free-floating clump of moss and attach it to your custom steel meshes yourself. Depending on the area you want to cover this may be the more economical approach, but buying the moss already attached to the mesh is more convenient.

Bump:
Quote:

How does it spread out. Will it attach to glass or you have to provide a substrate for it to grap on. Will the mesh disappear out of sight as the moss thickens.
Moss won't attach to glass, it will attach to a sponge filter or substrate if you have substrate. If you don't have substrate, it will fill out both vertically and horizontally and yes the mesh will become hidden as the moss grows in.

Bump:
Quote:
I think Flame moss have a"wild grass" look, grow tall and weedy. Fissidens have a tidy "lawn grass" look, and grow shorter. Am I correct or the Fissidens have been trimmed to look tidy.?
You're correct, flame moss behaves much like java moss, it'll grow the most towards any light source in all directions, fissidens varieties tend to be even slower at growing vertically but I have seen some pics of fissidens nobilis or geppi grown out and it can eventually take on an appearance more like a mini stem plant or a tiny underwater fern. The more I play around with moss the more versatile I realize it is for different aesthetic purposes.

.`.`..`.><(((>

Last edited by babystarz; 07-12-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added clarification on mesh sizes
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
I'm like watching that video and I thought to myself why is it so dark, the person must of used a crappy phone camera. And I also attach my moss the exact same way, Opps that's my video lol.
LOL I appreciate that you made this video, I always like to go to Youtube for visuals because I seem to learn better from videos + written instructions.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

3" x 3", cool, that is what I need to know. I have some mesh that I can do this myself.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec

RAOK CLUB #0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode