Nesaea pedicellata - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nesaea pedicellata

I ordered some nesaea pedicellata from online. The package came in last Thursday. The package was delivered around 11am, but I do not get home from work until 5pm. It was stored in my apartment complex office, away from the extreme Florida heat...but by the time I got home and opened the package, this plant was already looking quite poor. It was neon yellow (I thought they were "gold") and the leaves looked like there were black scratches all over. I put it in the tank but unfortunately, about half of the stems had to be thrown away because the leaves and stem turned into mush.

Is this plant very sensitive? The remaining plant's leaves continue to die off. I like the look of it, but I can't seem to get it back to good health. Worth trying again or is it not worth the trouble?

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower

First of all, I would contact the company you bought them from and explain the condition that you received them in to see if they will send free replacements. Or, give you credit to get something else. As far as asking whether you should get another of the same plants...it's like asking if I should buy another lottery ticket today since I didn't win yesterday. You will be gambling on whether things will turn out better doing the same process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccanne View Post
I ordered some nesaea pedicellata from online. The package came in last Thursday. The package was delivered around 11am, but I do not get home from work until 5pm. It was stored in my apartment complex office, away from the extreme Florida heat...but by the time I got home and opened the package, this plant was already looking quite poor. It was neon yellow (I thought they were "gold") and the leaves looked like there were black scratches all over. I put it in the tank but unfortunately, about half of the stems had to be thrown away because the leaves and stem turned into mush.

Is this plant very sensitive? The remaining plant's leaves continue to die off. I like the look of it, but I can't seem to get it back to good health. Worth trying again or is it not worth the trouble?
Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@finnipper59 What I meant is, is this plant particularly sensitive compared to others? With that information, I could decide whether to give it another try or to choose a hardier plant. I'm not expecting to just have a magical experience the next go around. So the nature of this question was regarding this plant's susceptibility when being transplanted to a new tank. I'll gladly avoid plants that are just going to be a pain.

All the other plants were just fine. The company will not issue any refund/exchange if the package was not signed for by the person it was addressed to. In my case, I was at work so I did not sign for this package.

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (60/100%)
Beccanne, Nesea pedicellata Gold is usually, unfortunately, sent as emersed stems.. they OFTEN show the dark parts after shipping. patience would be your pal on this one. plant the stems and make sure they have a strong light supply,, you can even float them to make sure they get good light.. and floating is often a really good way to get this one going again.. the light neon yellow is not unusual especially if they were emersed.. it is generally not too tough of a plant as long as it receives the light it requires.. Gold colored plants are just that way typically.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

I didn't mean to come accross the wrong way...but did. It was my way os saying that it is a sensitive plant and that you should get something a little hardier. You would do much better to occasionally visit lfs if you have one close by. Growers package plants much better in bulk for stores than they do for individual orders. You will get to see the condition of a plant that catches your eye. I'm sorry but not surprised about the lack of guarantee from the grower. Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccanne View Post
@finnipper59 What I meant is, is this plant particularly sensitive compared to others? With that information, I could decide whether to give it another try or to choose a hardier plant. I'm not expecting to just have a magical experience the next go around. So the nature of this question was regarding this plant's susceptibility when being transplanted to a new tank. I'll gladly avoid plants that are just going to be a pain.

All the other plants were just fine. The company will not issue any refund/exchange if the package was not signed for by the person it was addressed to. In my case, I was at work so I did not sign for this package.
Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@n-seine Thank you. I wondered about its special requirements, since I know that other plants of color have special needs as well (such as iron for pink/red plants). I will pull up the remaining stems and float them, hopefully that rejuvenates them a little. I also have a few stems of this next to a sword that is growing like crazy, so it's possible that the big sword leaves are "shading" the nesaea. I'd like to have this plant in the tank to contrast the pink of the telanthera and liven it up a bit.

@finnipper59 Thank you. Perhaps I was not clear in my OP. What lead me to ask the question is that the leaves and stems are very flimsy. So I didn't know if this was the result of sitting in a box out of the water for too long, or if this plant is just naturally delicate. I think it's a great plant for color contrast, but it does look absolutely unsightly in the tank when all of the leaves are turning black. The lfs doesn't have the greatest selection of plants... mostly anubias, vals, rotala, ludwigia, h.c., etc. Just basic things. I've been looking to add some color besides green, so most of those lfs plants don't meet that need.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It's now Ammannia pedicellata. Nesaea is no more.

Suggest buying plants from the forums.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

I bought some, arrived emersed. Rotted and all died off in days. From vendor who sent several plants that rapidly collapsed, swapped plants out without notification, and still has yet to replace two they didn't even put in the box.

I need to replace. I will be looking to forums myself. Always forums where possible from now on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunately, it all looked really terrible once I got home yesterday so I threw it out. It was turning black all over, even the stems, and was very soft and mushy. So that sucks.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower

Yea mine lasted days. Tops. And it was in a high-tech under high lighting (fugeray2, @6500k). Dirted. Full fert regimen. And it made is maybe... 3, 4d. And then was floating in tank rotting. Had been dropping leaves that were getting sucked into my circulation pump from day 1.

If you find from someone on here.... Tag back to that thread will ya? Lol. I need to replace mine for same reason as you

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@adkaquascaping Yeah I'm gonna give it another try if I can find it from a different seller. I really just want that color contrast... green, green, green is just bland and boring. I have a red tiger lotus that I got in the same shipment though and it is just exploding already! It was a bulb with only 2 leaves on it last week and I think I have about 7 or 8 on it now. So that will be great for color variation...but it's red, and I already have ludwigia and pink telanthera... I wanted this gold plant so bad!

On a separate note, I've just noticed this morning that two stems of my pink telanthera had all of the leaves rotting off except for the top. The tops of the stems are still doing great and have a vibrant hot pink color, but all the leaves down the stems needed to be removed. I've read online that this can be due to it not having good enough lighting or being overcrowded; is that true?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 PM
Algae Grower

Is that new too?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@adkaquascaping Nope! This telanthera has been in the tank since I set it up, almost a month. And it's not all of the telanthera having this problem, just two plants in the middle of the bunch

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:48 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Out of 6 emersed stems I ended up with 3 converted tops 1/2" long. When I had it a couple of years ago, keeping the bottom leaves from developing black skid marks was my challenge. Now I want to see how it will grow under LEDs.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Algae Grower

Could be melting bc it was emersed grown. Could be overcrowded and lack of lighting. Could be unhappy if it's used to fertilizer and not getting now. If aglae had grown on you lid and is blocking light. Lack of other nutrients in tank causing it to effectively cannibalize lower older growth to feed new growth.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode