Glossotigma Elatinoides Carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chanceofplants
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
baileyoswald202's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 43
Glossotigma Elatinoides Carpet?

I've seen varying info on using glosso as a carpet. Could it carpet in a low tech tank? I like the look of it but my tank is low tech. I have a Finnex light and will be using thrive fertilizer. If you need more info feel free to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Quote:
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.
~Dr. Seuss
baileyoswald202 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 831
I doubt you'll find many plants that carpet well without added CO2. Plants tend to grow more vertically with more spacing between internodes in low tech setups. You might have some success getting a carpet-like appearance by planting small clusters, if not individual stems, really close together.
madcrafted is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
baileyoswald202's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
I doubt you'll find many plants that carpet well without added CO2. Plants tend to grow more vertically with more spacing between internodes in low tech setups. You might have some success getting a carpet-like appearance by planting small clusters, if not individual stems, really close together.
Would liquid carbon work instead of CO2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Quote:
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.
~Dr. Seuss
baileyoswald202 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 831
Excel and other glutaraldehyde products are basically just a mild algaecide and not a substitute for carbon dioxide. None of them are a real source of carbon (despite what some people/companies may claim) so you will not see the same benefits as CO2... whether it be DIY or injection. I think people with low tech setups are seeing better growth using products like Excel because the plants are actually able to utilize the nutrients in the water column when their leaves aren't covered in algae. This won't make much of a difference in the way a plant will actually grow as far the rapid production of runners and dense, compact growth like the way 30 ppm of CO2 will do in a high tech tank.

I use Excel for spot treatments of algae, exclusively. It works well for this. I try to manage a well balanced system between light, nutrients and CO2 so I don't have to worry much about algae. Sometimes things happen that break that balance. Having a small bottle of Excel on hand can be helpful for such times.
madcrafted is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
baileyoswald202's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
Excel and other glutaraldehyde products are basically just a mild algaecide and not a substitute for carbon dioxide. None of them are a real source of carbon (despite what some people/companies may claim) so you will not see the same benefits as CO2... whether it be DIY or injection. I think people with low tech setups are seeing better growth using products like Excel because the plants are actually able to utilize the nutrients in the water column when their leaves aren't covered in algae. This won't make much of a difference in the way a plant will actually grow as far the rapid production of runners and dense, compact growth like the way 30 ppm of CO2 will do in a high tech tank.

I use Excel for spot treatments of algae, exclusively. It works well for this. I try to manage a well balanced system between light, nutrients and CO2 so I don't have to worry much about algae. Sometimes things happen that break that balance. Having a small bottle of Excel on hand can be helpful for such times.
What about NilocG's Enhance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Quote:
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.
~Dr. Seuss
baileyoswald202 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:18 AM
Algae Grower
 
chanceofplants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 59
CO2 isn't going to get the plant to carpet. The lighting conditions are what makes plants grow that way. Think of it this way, plants are growing towards the source of light. If the lighting isn't sufficient, they will grow towards the light. So in lower light conditions, glosso will grow taller. In higher light, they don't need to reach towards the light so they'll grow lower along the substrate.
so in short,glosse wont carpet in low light conditions.
[email protected] likes this.
chanceofplants is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:35 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyoswald202 View Post
What about NilocG's Enhance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Enhance is also just glutaraldehyde.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
brothermichigan is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 12:23 AM
Algae Grower
 
W@r10ck's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceofplants View Post
CO2 isn't going to get the plant to carpet. The lighting conditions are what makes plants grow that way. Think of it this way, plants are growing towards the source of light. If the lighting isn't sufficient, they will grow towards the light. So in lower light conditions, glosso will grow taller. In higher light, they don't need to reach towards the light so they'll grow lower along the substrate.

so in short,glosse wont carpet in low light conditions.
This is what im trying to achieve. Rely on my lights and just dose accordingly. I just hope my chihiros E301M is considered high light.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome