Red Root Floater Melting Recovery? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Red Root Floater Melting Recovery?

This week I added a bunch of red root floaters to my two nano tanks. One has a DYI sponge filter set on low where a few bubbles come out every few seconds. The other has nothing and is basically just a place where I'm growing out some plants I haven't decided what to do with. The plants in both tanks are doing well and putting out new leaves.

In both tanks the red root floaters looked good the first day. There were a few leaves damaged in transit, but nothing big.

Second day I noticed that there weren't so many. But, still nothing to be really worried about.

Third day and I have massive melt with only a portion of the red root floaters that were added still floating. The rest have sunk.

The leaves of the ones that have sunk are either melting, or already gone or eaten by the Amano shrimp. But, the stems and roots are still there. The Amano haven't been touching those.

My question is if any of those might somehow survive? I know RRF grow along that stem. Can they put out new leaves and float back to the surface? Or are all those that sunk now goners? Has anyone tried to recover them?

Now to hope enough red root floaters survive on the surface to start a little red root floater colony. The numbers keep going down, so I'm getting a little worried. I really want some nitrate soakers.

P.S. The Amano shrimp are loving eating the melting RRF. They also went nuts when the RRF was first added to the tank. They started doing excited laps around the tank and then started hanging upside down from the roots. It was hilarious!

Temp: 74
Ph: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: .5
Nitrates: 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old-Timer Guppy Lover
Low-Tech Nano Aquarium
Anubias nana Petite
Bucephalandra Mini - Several Types
Fissidens Fontanus
Trident Java Fern
Red Root Floaters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pulled the ones that had sunk and put them in a shallow glass pan with just enough water that the roots could support the stem to either the top of the water or close to it. Will see what happens over the next few days. Who knows, maybe a few more will make it. If not, then it will be an easier mess to clean up than if they were still in my aquarium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old-Timer Guppy Lover
Low-Tech Nano Aquarium
Anubias nana Petite
Fissidens Fontanus
Trident Java Fern
Red Root Floaters
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

About 3 plants recovered from the recovery bowl. The rest clearly died, even though at first it looked like they were trying to grow new leaves. Oh well. It was a good experiment. Now I know.

Have even fewer red root floaters in the tank. I swear, I think the bladder snails are eating some of the new leaves and roots. Almost all roots are now gone. Each morning there are fewer plants even though they looked healthy the night before.

I haven't found anyone mentioning bladder snails like to munch on healthy red root floaters. Has anyone had this issue?

Old-Timer Guppy Lover
Low-Tech Nano Aquarium
Anubias nana Petite
Fissidens Fontanus
Trident Java Fern
Red Root Floaters

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I imagine the munching is because the plants are decaying rather then them damaging healthy ones. Have you got any ferts in the tank?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep, I've been dosing with Thrive. These particular RRF have had their roots turn red (roots were green when they arrived) and have put on new leaves (the edges of which are now turning red) since arriving, so I really don't think they were decaying.

Old-Timer Guppy Lover
Low-Tech Nano Aquarium
Anubias nana Petite
Fissidens Fontanus
Trident Java Fern
Red Root Floaters
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

How often are you dosing thrive? Floaters are nutrient hogs
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I have a similar situation in one of my tanks where the RRF have one leaf that looks 1/2 eaten and the other leaves look perfectly healthy. It seems like each plant has the one damaged leaf. Mine are also very healthy looking with nice red roots. I'm still trying to figure out if it's a deficiency or snails. There are some small ramshorn/bladder snails in there.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They react to light, so the higher the light the redder they get. Very impressive under full sun!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I have a similar situation in one of my tanks where the RRF have one leaf that looks 1/2 eaten and the other leaves look perfectly healthy. It seems like each plant has the one damaged leaf. Mine are also very healthy looking with nice red roots. I'm still trying to figure out if it's a deficiency or snails. There are some small ramshorn/bladder snails in there.
I get a similar issue with my RRF in my 5 gallon. Most of the pads look totally healthy with constant new growth and over time, some of the pads along the chain seem to submerge themselves. This same issue also happens in the jar that I have sitting in a full sun window with no water movement. Only differences is that the full sun jar growth is way faster and redder than the tank due to the amount of light.

I resolve this through plucking the submerged pads off of the chains of RRF every other water change.

My tank journal.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
I get a similar issue with my RRF in my 5 gallon. Most of the pads look totally healthy with constant new growth and over time, some of the pads along the chain seem to submerge themselves. This same issue also happens in the jar that I have sitting in a full sun window with no water movement. Only differences is that the full sun jar growth is way faster and redder than the tank due to the amount of light.

I resolve this through plucking the submerged pads off of the chains of RRF every other water change.
Interesting, hadn't thought of that. So your thinking is the ones that stay under too long get weak and start to fall apart or are easy prey for snails? Why do you think the ones in the jar with no water movement also have the issue? I know they do better with less surface movement.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Quote:

Interesting, hadn't thought of that. So your thinking is the ones that stay under too long get weak and start to fall apart or are easy prey for snails? Why do you think the ones in the jar with no water movement also have the issue? I know they do better with less surface movement.
Maybe it's just the natural growing pattern of the plant. New growth always is up and out of the water surface and old growth slowly submerges. I thought it was caused by surface agitation, but seeing it in my "test" jar with no movement disputes that idea for me.both the tank and jar RRF get submerging pads at equal rates as new pads grow.

My tank journal.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would guess you are a bit short on one or more of the mobile nutrients (NPK) and it's stealing them from the old leaves to grow new ones.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
I would guess you are a bit short on one or more of the mobile nutrients (NPK) and it's stealing them from the old leaves to grow new ones.
I dose so much fert into my tanks it's scary. And the jar has osmocote+ and soil, so it's loaded, too.

My tank journal.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Maybe it's just the natural growing pattern of the plant...
No, I don't think so, I have it in another tank and all the leaves are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
I guess it can't hurt to try and increase macros. I already dose pretty high as well, but might as well try it.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stussy28 View Post
How often are you dosing thrive? Floaters are nutrient hogs
I've been dosing twice a week since I'd heard they were nutrient hogs. Maybe I should try increasing the frequency, just to see what happens.

Old-Timer Guppy Lover
Low-Tech Nano Aquarium
Anubias nana Petite
Fissidens Fontanus
Trident Java Fern
Red Root Floaters

Tags
amano shrimp, melting plants, nano aquarium, plant advice, red root floaters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode