Good/Easy to Keep Carpeting Plants? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good/Easy to Keep Carpeting Plants?

Hi everyone!
I知 setting up a 10 gallon Betta tank soon and I知 considering something like this:

Im planning on using Christmas moss for the canopy, but what would be an easy to keep/hard to kill carpeting plant?
Lighting? Co2? Fertilizer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The easiest carpeting plant I've tried was dwarf hairgrass. Without injecting co2, you'll find most carpeting plants difficult to spread quickly and densely. Alot of folks like HC (dwarf baby tears) and Monte Carlo, which both of these look good in smaller scaled tanks.

If this is the look you're going for, getting a lush carpet should be your first priority before placing a moss tree in there. The reason being is, mosses can grow just fine in lower light and can become overtaken by algae under bright lights (ask me how I know). Being as trees are really close to the light source they will get blasted with anywhere between 150-300 PAR, while the substrate may only be getting 50-70 PAR. These scapes are difficult for beginners. You'll need to have a consistent fertilizing schedule as well as dialed in co2. It can be done with a moss tree and carpet growing from day 1 but you'll most likely have issues with hair algae in the xmas moss if everything isn't perfectly balanced.

edit* For lighting I'd probably opt for something like a finnex planted plus for a smaller tank. On a tank this size, this LED would be considered high intensity.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

I'll second Monte Carlo as a carpeting plant.

This is after 1 month using the dry start method. Time will tell how it does flooded.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^ you could opt for a dry start like this too. This way your carpeting plant's roots can take hold good before flooding the tank with water. Do a search on Dry Start Method. It usually takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks but the results can be well worth it for slow rooters like HC. This way plants get all the atmospheric CO2 they need while buying you some time to purchase co2 equipment.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good/Easy to Keep Carpeting Plants?

Thanks for the quick replies! Though I may just stick to the moss tree, I don稚 really have the time for a dry start or a super complex setup. I have 3 bettas in a divided 10 gallon that need their own tanks.
Maybe some dwarf vallinersa could work?

I値l also be setting up another 10 and 5 gallon, so if you have any ideas for those please share them!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Since time is of the essence, instead of a full carpet ('tho, I know that is the look you're smitten with currently) you could toss in a few small moss balls to give some green interest under the tree, and around the rocks. They'd be more in line w/ the needs of the moss in the "tree", and you could get some traction with a lower-tech setup until you're ready to leap to CO2.

Alternately, I've seen in person (but, admittedly not done this myself) very successful patches of "lawn"-like areas created by opening up a large moss ball (it is a rather civilized algae, after all) and affixing it to a large nearly-flat rock. It took a bit of time to adjust and look more natural (less puckered), but it sure was an easy way to get a low-growing lawn-like covering! She had that for a LONG time - it was very stable and easy-care, as long as it was tended by either some Amano shrimp, or, later, she had a solitary siamese-algae-eater-relative who tended his personal garden very happily (didn't like conspecifics much, so everyone was happy). The need to "tend" it a bit was to prevent other opportunistic algae from moving in.

It was actually quite lovely in a grouping of several large flat, clado-covered low islands, and continued to look really good for several years - she finally changed it up from boredom rather than any problem with the carpet-rocks.

Just a thought.
-Jane
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could also use Marselia Minuta for the carpet. This requires no co2 and can tolerate lower light as well. It takes a little time to get going but the result is quite nice when completed. One hack is to take the time to separate and plant each node in a grid pattern about 1/2" to an 1" apart for an even faster carpet.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I second marsilea. I keep it in a few tanks, and it is both easy and attractive. It doesn't carpet densely as quickly as DHG, but will fill in over time (or you can plant more densely from the start), and doesn't demand super high light or CO2, making it much better for those who prefer low maintence. I found it also transitions better than some of the other carpets I've tried.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
I second marsilea. I keep it in a few tanks, and it is both easy and attractive. It doesn't carpet densely as quickly as DHG, but will fill in over time (or you can plant more densely from the start), and doesn't demand super high light or CO2, making it much better for those who prefer low maintence. I found it also transitions better than some of the other carpets I've tried.
Do you dose any c02?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just Excel, no pressurized system.

I have a bit in a non-Excel-dosed tank to see how it does, and it grows slow, but hasn't died after 5+ months.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

Other than your conventional baby tears or dwarf hair grass you could try something like dwarf saggitarius. It also doesn't really need to be trimmed and doesn't make a huge mess if it is trimmed.

Yes it's classified more as a midground plant but gives more depth to the carpet (2-4").

Personally had this carpet my 55g and I liked it, so did the shrimp. Easy to care for In terms of lighting and co2 isn't necessary for it but is helpful.

Food for thought.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5039.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	831234  

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Eleocharis Acicularis is a beast, but Eleocharis Parvula is slow and miserable in my experience.
Marsiliea Hirsuta
Crypt Parva
Staurogyne Repens
Glosso
All good choices if you ask me.

You could also try Micranthemum Macremoides, its easy to grow but gets taller so you'd be chopping a lot.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Just alittle follow-up on the tank that you first referenced. That aquascaper (Filipe Oliveira) was one of the first to use that moss tree design that eventually became very common place. In fact there were several versions of that setup by him and back in 2008 he took 10th place in IAPLC. That was no small task especially with a tank under 2 feet. Winning tank are almost always 3 to 5 feet. Here is a pic of the prized setup with the path running through it.

The moss is listed as Vesicularia dubyana. Tropica has a moss listed as Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas' which looks like the one in the scape.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
If the moderation team has to clean up another thread like this, we're sending people packing for good. Enough with the bickering.

You may be children but you don't get to act like it on The Planted Tank. Treat others with respect and take the insults elsewhere.
IntotheWRX and IntotheWRX like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Just alittle follow-up on the tank that you first referenced. That aquascaper (Filipe Oliveira) was one of the first to use that moss tree design that eventually became very common place. In fact there were several versions of that setup by him and back in 2008 he took 10th place in IAPLC. That was no small task especially with a tank under 2 feet. Winning tank are almost always 3 to 5 feet. Here is a pic of the prized setup with the path running through it.

The moss is listed as Vesicularia dubyana. Tropica has a moss listed as Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas' which looks like the one in the scape.

This is one of the aquascapes that inspired me to try out a moss tree scape in my 5 gallon. While mine doesn't look nearly as nice as this scape, I'm happy with it. It's such a delicate balance in a small tank but very pleasing to look at as it fills out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode