MoldWorld!: a Mini Pellia and Fissidens splach DSM: - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
MoldWorld!: a Mini Pellia and Fissidens splach DSM:

EDIT2: I took a closer look at the blue/green mold I thought was spreading on my wood and I think it's actually the little bits of pulverized moss melting (dying) and being absorbed by the wood. So not blue/green mold but my mosses are all dying. Also great.

I started a mini pellia and Fissidens splach DSM on Saturday and I can't say it's been going too smoothly. I had stringy (not slimy) white mold growing all over my manzanita by day 2 --which I've heard isn't a huge cause for concern-- and the beginnings of blue/green mold by day 3. This, I think, is probably cause for concern. The splach and pellia are known for being slow growers and I'm concerned the entire tank is going to become a mold jungle before they grow or attach to the hardscape. But if I flood now (day 5 ish), everything will just lift off and the DSM will have been a wasted effort. I also don't want to spray H2O2 or Excel since that's almost a guarantee I'll fry my mosses.

In hindsight, I know I've already made a couple mistakes:
- too much yogurt: last DSM, my solution was too watery and the mosses just fell to the bottom, making them hard to apply. This time, the yogurt was super thick so application was a breeze, but it then became a petri dish for mold.
- super high humidity: I know this is how you get mold. At the same time, I've heard the mosses need really high humidity so I'm in a bind. I spray twice a day. If I don't, the branches my mosses are on just dry out.
- I forgot to boil the wood: doh. I forgot it was important to boil it to kill spores and not just get out excess tannins/waterlog it. Oops.

How do I keep this going long enough for my mosses to attach?

I'm throwing in a picture of the scape before the DSM, at the beginning of the DSM (sorry for the humidity), and of the white mold (three days ago, it's much worse now).

EDIT: Sorry my pictures are all sideways, I don't know how I would fix this. They all look fine on my phone and computer before uploading. Does TPT somehow ignore EXIF rotation information when displaying pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	803914  

Name:	IMG_7170.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	803922  

Name:	IMG_7181.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	803930  

Last edited by aotf; 11-16-2017 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Looked better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Why wouldn't you just tie and super glue the moss and flood the tank?
These mosses both attach quite well in my experience, especially to rocks..
Since you've already come this far and presumably blended up your moss with yogurt I'm not sure what you can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you have and excel, or metricide 14 (or 28) you can mix that into your spray bottle (at water change dose) and apply that, it should help a bit.
I know its not helpful now but in my experience using the DSM isn't worth it for moss as usually it grows fairly fast when submerged.

If all else fails reduce humidity for 2 days, (70%) then bring it back up into the 90's. Moss usually does well in rebounding but....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
can't help on the DSM stuff, but the pictures are oriented based off your camera phones orientation. In other words (for my iphone 7), my vertical photos come out sideways on TPT and my landscape photos come out fine.

Try taking a landscape photo and uploading.

75g Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forest's Edge:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Why wouldn't you just tie and super glue the moss and flood the tank?
These mosses both attach quite well in my experience, especially to rocks..
Since you've already come this far and presumably blended up your moss with yogurt I'm not sure what you can do.
I'm trying to get coverage over a large area with mosses that grow very slowly (instead of clumps of growth). String/glue works well with most mosses but these guys are hard to spread out with that technique.
If this attempt fails, I'll just go that route and submerge as soon as they're glued/tied. I have leftover pellia and I'm trying to grow more f. splach on a mesh so we'll see if I have enough.

EDIT: Sounds like you've already grown both of these. I've tried growing mini pellia twice and it's been really slow for me. First time taking a swing at f. splach but I've heard it's also slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohlk View Post
If you have and excel, or metricide 14 (or 28) you can mix that into your spray bottle (at water change dose) and apply that, it should help a bit.
I know its not helpful now but in my experience using the DSM isn't worth it for moss as usually it grows fairly fast when submerged.

If all else fails reduce humidity for 2 days, (70%) then bring it back up into the 90's. Moss usually does well in rebounding but....
I don't have either (have some Flourish and Thrive, but no Excel as it makes shrimp keepers a little wary) so I'll do some research and see if I can order it quickly. Mini pellia and Fissidens splach grow sooo sloowwww it's impressive. I was hoping to spread them out a bit so that I get coverage of my wood instead of clumps but I may not be so fortunate.
I think most mosses are pretty hardy, I just happen to be DSMing some of the slowest and wimpiest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
can't help on the DSM stuff, but the pictures are oriented based off your camera phones orientation. In other words (for my iphone 7), my vertical photos come out sideways on TPT and my landscape photos come out fine.
The iphone adds orientation information (thanks to the orientation sensors in the phone) to the EXIF data on each picture. Modern photo viewers recognize and read the EXIF in order to display the photo properly despite the photo technically being stored rotated. It kind of seems like TPT's image display software may be ignoring the EXIF information and displaying them as stored --so what you're saying: sideways. The annoying part is that when I rotate the picture in my photo viewer and save it for upload, I suspect it's just modifying the EXIF info without actually rotating the picture in memory (computationally easier) so that when it's uploaded to TPT, it doesn't actually make a difference.

Guess TPT is pretty old... Guess I can only take landscapes from now on.

Last edited by aotf; 11-16-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: reread

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode