Plants half immersed in water under sunlight? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Plants half immersed in water under sunlight?

I did not invest in some good lightning set nor do I have co2, but that won't be necessary other than the lights since I'm going low tech. For the moment, my LFS is selling the plants for dirt cheap, so I thought I'd buy a handful amount before they go out of stock. Would putting the plants half immersed in water under direct sunlight with tab roots promote their growth? I'm talking about Amazon swords, jungle val, rotala indica, hornwort, cryptocoryne..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Algae Grower

I'm kinda in a similar boat.

Being a plant only thing I'm wondering about club soda as a temporary effective but cheap solution.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
that should work for most of those plants if you keep the container covered so the humidity stays very high. Be careful it doesn't overheat - won't take long in direct sunlight if its a small container.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
that should work for most of those plants if you keep the container covered so the humidity stays very high. Be careful it doesn't overheat - won't take long in direct sunlight if its a small container.
Would it be better in indirect sunlight? Or should I put the plants under direct sunlight for 4 hours then move them indoor?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
I'm kinda in a similar boat.

Being a plant only thing I'm wondering about club soda as a temporary effective but cheap solution.
I was wondering how effective mineral water would be for plants, such as using perrier bottles, would that promote its growth? Also carbonated water.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Planted Member

I have read the issue with direct sunlight is it is difficult to control. Just about any container of water in sunlight will have algae in it in a matter of days.

Brian Rodgers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rodgers View Post
I have read the issue with direct sunlight is it is difficult to control. Just about any container of water in sunlight will have algae in it in a matter of days.
Algae doesn't matter, I only care about my plants growth. Does this mean algae will grow on my plants and then it will infest my fish tank when I decide to plant the plants in it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
not sure where you're located but its pretty hot here. If you have a window that gets sun , you'll be better off keeping them inside.

4 hours outside in direct sun will most likely cook your plants.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
not sure where you're located but its pretty hot here. If you have a window that gets sun , you'll be better off keeping them inside.

4 hours outside in direct sun will most likely cook your plants.
I live in Lebanon, temperature is usually at 90-85 F. Even sun from the windows is hot, maybe getting some white sheets and stick them to the windows helps lowering the temperature?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've had jungle vals grow thic outside in a 15 gallon container in temps up to 100F. I would try to grow the hornwort, rotala and vals submersed, and the swords emersed. You may need a fully sealed container to keep humidity high if trying emersed crypts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Algae Grower

How long of a time span do you want to keep the plants in the container?

I suggested soda water because its extreme instant c02 content should kill any infestation that breaths water, and its full of stuff your plant craves!

.... brondo.....
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
How long of a time span do you want to keep the plants in the container?

I suggested soda water because its extreme instant c02 content should kill any infestation that breaths water, and its full of stuff your plant craves!

.... brondo.....
About a month or two, depending how fast my led lighting will arrive.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
I've had jungle vals grow thic outside in a 15 gallon container in temps up to 100F. I would try to grow the hornwort, rotala and vals submersed, and the swords emersed. You may need a fully sealed container to keep humidity high if trying emersed crypts.
But they won't be able to benefit from atmospheric co2 then if I seal the container. I'm planning on putting each plant in a 1 gallon container.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Planted Member

Be-forewarned I've only done this hobby for 2.5 years. There are experts here. I love their advice.
I am uncertain if algae would get on everything, it is possible. I had our 50 gallon in our earth-sheltered greenhouse for a while, however I did not have any plants in it so I couldn't say. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and belong to other fish forums as well as plants with my aquaponics. Many suggest direct light changes the photo period we need in order to truly control plant health. We've a bright living room where our tanks are located. During Summer I turn down the photo period of tank light to correct the tanks exposure to indirect light. Artificial lighting helps me control the tank environment and we need all the help we can get.

Brian Rodgers

Tags
amazon sword, lightning, low tech, sun light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode