3Likes
  • 2 Post By shhh
  • 2 Post By JJ09
  • 2 Post By APynckel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Would it be possible...? (HOB "pot" For herbs)

I had an idea, and was just wondering if anyone has attempted this. I want to make a "HOB" aquaponic garden for herbs. Mint, basil, rosemary (kind big but yea), and cilantro. Bell siphon to return water to the tank, and the entire thing be ABOVE tank height so that it can fully drain. Yea, I could put something off to the side, but that's not what I'm after here. Don't want to deal with any racks. Just a nice piece of acrylic that has an overhang piece, and a thumbscrew to adjust it's level, and an in tank water supply (or feed it off my filter canister return, maybe?).

Has anyone made anything like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes totally doable and can even be less work than that. Just buy a planter that can sit on top of your tank (should be fine) then fill with hydroponic clay balls. To double as a filter just get some eggcrate and block off some of it and put some sponge in/whatever other filter media you want. then drill in some bulkheads one that enters about at what the desired water level is (output side), then at the bottom or pumping right to the top above the water level for the input throw a pump in the aquarium towards the bottom on the opposite side of the output and youre gold. Ive seen some videos of this online its pretty cheap doable and a great way to keep nitrates in control.

Here is one video by Joey that has the basic construction just need to tweak it a bit for the herbs, the clay balls work like ceramics for bio FYI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFci...TzRRhn&index=2

Bump: Also some things can just grow in a HoB filter sponge (pothos is commonly added that way for nitrates)

Ecology student with too much time on his hands...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

I'm planning to try growing rosemary in a shower caddy resting on the spray bar of my goldfish tank. I use clay balls and sphagnum moss in the riparium plants I already have there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhh View Post
I'm planning to try growing rosemary in a shower caddy resting on the spray bar of my goldfish tank. I use clay balls and sphagnum moss in the riparium plants I already have there.
Be careful with the sphagnum moss it will make the pH more acidic which could be harmful.

Ecology student with too much time on his hands...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:26 AM
Algae Grower

The moss is not in the actual tank water, just dipped and stays moist for the roots. There's only a very small amount of moss in there anyway. Only a little bit of the clay balls are actually under the water line. I have city water that has no buffering capacity and the ph used to drop before I started running crushed coral in my filter. Now I keep my goldfish at a pretty steady 7.4, so no issues with the moss and ph.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Check the threads in my signature for ideas. The riparium build thread has ideas and my 25g build thread has a riparium on it that sounds very similar to what you're looking at building

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Basil and cilantro- yeah. Rosemary can grow into a small shrub, maybe you don't want that one in an HOB container. And mint will take over and crowd everything out- put that one in its own container and trim it aggressively. (This is coming from my experience growing herbs outside- I never grew them on a tank)
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea, I know how the herbs act in nature. Just saying what I'd like to have. Mint is an effing WEED, and rosemary is a tree.
JJ09 and JJ09 like this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had a similar filter about a decade ago on a turtle tank with a window planter box. I put a couple of 3/4" barbed bulkheads at one end, partitioned them off with egg crate, then filled the rest with lava rock. Put a powerhead in the tank plumbed to a U shaped bit of PVC (similar to a canister filter return) and stuck it in the opposite end of the box from the drain. Stuck the box on a pass thru between my dining room and living room and grew pothos in it. They grew like crazy in that nasty turtle water.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth. -Jules Verne
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just a tip: rosemary does better in dry conditions seeing as it's from the Mediterranean area. In my experience, it usually rots when constantly kept in water - even if the water is moving.

Mint I'd a great choice because it's usually found near wet areas - near Forest streams, ditches, and wet Meadows. The basil and cilantro are good candidates, as are parsley, chives (tricky but it can be done), and a few others.

If you're open to veggies, there's a LOT that you can do - lettuce, tomatoes, beans, peas, and peppers are the ones that come to mind for aquaponics.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"Personally, I would be delighted if there was a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out." ~Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"I can't tell you how many people say they were turned off from science because of a science teacher that completely sucked out all the inspiration and enthusiasm they had for the course." ~Neil deGrasse Tyson.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea, I just want to keep it small for now, seeing as I am running a 30 gallon tank and am in an apt.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Pennyroyal is a marginal flooded meadow plant and loves moisture, good for repelling Cat and Dog's fleas. I seem to recall that Catnip is also good with damp soil. I grow lots of Chives and it's fine with damp as long as the roots are fed with fresh and it's properly draining and not pooling around their root crowns.

The Riparium section of General Aquarium Forum here has an article or three about using HOB's, breeding boxes and refugeariums as emmersed root planters.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've been giving this a bit of grey matter real estate, and I think for this to be feasible, I'm going to have to sump my tank. That way I don't have a fluctuating water volume in my main display....

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by APynckel View Post
Yea, I just want to keep it small for now, seeing as I am running a 30 gallon tank and am in an apt.
My 29 gallon from many years back had a giant emmersed Oakleaf Water Sprite that was a good foot and a half in diameter or more of aerial leaves growing out of my HOB. It actually became a good part of the old AquaClear sponges I used on that massive old filter. It was growing right under a 125 watt Mercury Vapor lamp and was getting blasted with light.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

To get any good flavor or growth out of herbs, they need medium-to-high light conditions (except maybe mint, chives or parsley). (I mean high light for air-grown plants, which is much higher than that used in aquariums, for the most part). I would be worried about all that waste light hitting the aquarium and causing algal blooms, so you would want to plan around that.

Most herbs prefer a lower pH than the average tank when grown hydroponically: (ph/ TDS/PPM Levels for Herbs) It may be difficult to get them to thrive outside their ideal range. I haven't tried growing any herbs hydroponically above pH of 6.5 (and never with aquarium in the same loop) so I have no idea which would be the best candidates, besides mint, which can survive anything.

Also, cilantro is an annual, so it will try to bolt and flower after a couple of months (the good news is that the seeds are a spice [coriander] and that the root is is usable for southeast Asian cooking). Just make sure your set up allows you to pull plants easily, if you grow it, as after it sets seed it will die.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode