Are Staurogyne repens a good low light carpeting plant? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananableps View Post
0.o



huh.
You asked which plants I have.

Probably better if I showed you picture since I have no idea what is in my tank now. I think most of these plants did not make it.

Anyway, bottom line is I need a carpeting plant that is low tech. Any suggestions in addition to dwarf hairgrass.

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
SpaceLord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
John Wong's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
You asked which plants I have.

Probably better if I showed you picture since I have no idea what is in my tank now. I think most of these plants did not make it.

Anyway, bottom line is I need a carpeting plant that is low tech. Any suggestions in addition to dwarf hairgrass.

Thanks.
Remember to get submersed form of dwarf hairgrass

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
John Wong is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Krispyplants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NC USA
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Yes, and I think it failed. I actually purchased it twice and both cases it has failed. I don't know if its the eco-complete, lighting, C02 levels, etc. but the dwarf hairgrass, dwarf baby tears and every other carpeting plant has always failed in my tank. I would prefer something with smaller leaves or more grass like but nothing seem like it would work.

To me the Staurogyne repens seem like more of a broad leaf then what is normally considered good for a carpet plant. To be honest I was surprised this was even considered to be a carpet plant however maybe for that reason it can survive with less light then what is normally required for the small leave carpet plants.
Have you tried Monte carlos?
Krispyplants is offline  
 
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispyplants View Post
Have you tried Monte carlos?
Yeah but it was a small piece. Do you think it has more change to survive if it was like a 2X2 Carpet vs a small piece?

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
SpaceLord is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Krispyplants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NC USA
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Yeah but it was a small piece. Do you think it has more change to survive if it was like a 2X2 Carpet vs a small piece?
The more you have of something the higher your chances of having it fully transition and grow in your tank, yes... Monte Carlos is imo the easiest low growing carpeting plant. You just got to keep it alive past the transition phase. Once it adapts to your water it'll grow on anything. Sponge filter, moss, rock etc.
Krispyplants is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
John Wong's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispyplants View Post
The more you have of something the higher your chances of having it fully transition and grow in your tank, yes... Monte Carlos is imo the easiest low growing carpeting plant. You just got to keep it alive past the transition phase. Once it adapts to your water it'll grow on anything. Sponge filter, moss, rock etc.
How to plant Monte Carlo on rocks??

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
John Wong is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wong View Post
How to plant Monte Carlo on rocks??

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
You are suppose to plant on rocks or substrate?

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
SpaceLord is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
John Wong's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
You are suppose to plant on rocks or substrate?
Actually I just curious how they make hc or Monte Carlo just Look like grow out of rocks. Can I tie Monte Carlo to a drift wood and let it suspended in water column? ? If I'm not mistaken Monte Carlo can survive without co2? This one I ask for author .

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
John Wong is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
ArchimedesTheDog's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 433
I just ordered a bunch of S repens, myself, for the same reason - low light and no CO2. I found that for me in low light (almost medium), with no CO2, dwarf hairgrass (submersed) wasn't spreading at all, it was just surviving. I'll look at getting some dwarf sag if that fails to take, though.

--


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ArchimedesTheDog is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Krispyplants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NC USA
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wong View Post
Actually I just curious how they make hc or Monte Carlo just Look like grow out of rocks. Can I tie Monte Carlo to a drift wood and let it suspended in water column? ? If I'm not mistaken Monte Carlo can survive without co2? This one I ask for author .

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
You can glue it or tie it down. Usually the plant is very good at anchoring itself. When floating around it'll eventually find somewhere to attach to.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
You are suppose to plant on rocks or substrate?
The plant grows better planted in the substrate
Krispyplants is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
John Wong's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesTheDog View Post
I just ordered a bunch of S repens, myself, for the same reason - low light and no CO2. I found that for me in low light (almost medium), with no CO2, dwarf hairgrass (submersed) wasn't spreading at all, it was just surviving. I'll look at getting some dwarf sag if that fails to take, though.
Ya, agree with you, I my friends low light tank hairgrass just survive and spreading very slow. However she also didn't dose any form of carbon such as excel.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
John Wong is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 50
Before I put CO2 on my Mini M I planted some Monte Carlo just for fun and was surprised to see it growing and sending off runners. The growth was slow and not very compact - though it stayed lower than I expected. I've always had amazing success with s.repens with no CO2 when using Finnex Planted+ lights. What I found worked the best for me in those situations was to plant the entire clump from the Tropica 1-2-Grow container as a whole. I found that with low/medium light and no CO2, if you divide the plant into 1-2 stems it tends to grow a bit spindly/tall and doesn't always fill out that great; if you plant it as a clump it seems to stay bushy and full. At least that is what I found with low/medium light and no CO2.
Digitalfiend is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Krispyplants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NC USA
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalfiend View Post
Before I put CO2 on my Mini M I planted some Monte Carlo just for fun and was surprised to see it growing and sending off runners. The growth was slow and not very compact - though it stayed lower than I expected. I've always had amazing success with s.repens with no CO2 when using Finnex Planted+ lights. What I found worked the best for me in those situations was to plant the entire clump from the Tropica 1-2-Grow container as a whole. I found that with low/medium light and no CO2, if you divide the plant into 1-2 stems it tends to grow a bit spindly/tall and doesn't always fill out that great; if you plant it as a clump it seems to stay bushy and full. At least that is what I found with low/medium light and no CO2.
I agree with this. I've applied this to pogostemon helferi before.
Krispyplants is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesTheDog View Post
I just ordered a bunch of S repens, myself, for the same reason - low light and no CO2. I found that for me in low light (almost medium), with no CO2, dwarf hairgrass (submersed) wasn't spreading at all, it was just surviving. I'll look at getting some dwarf sag if that fails to take, though.
The dwarf hairgrass just survived at first and did not spread or grow in anyway. It eventually disappeared. I tried to purchase it twice with the same result. Seem like its a higher demanding plant then the internet guides will let on.

Maybe you can let us all know how your S. Repens turn out? I am very interested in getting some kind of carpeting plant going and the dwarf hairgrass is not going to cut it with my lighting and lack of C02.

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
SpaceLord is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
John Wong's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
The dwarf hairgrass just survived at first and did not spread or grow in anyway. It eventually disappeared. I tried to purchase it twice with the same result. Seem like its a higher demanding plant then the internet guides will let on.

Maybe you can let us all know how your S. Repens turn out? I am very interested in getting some kind of carpeting plant going and the dwarf hairgrass is not going to cut it with my lighting and lack of C02.

Thanks.
well, at least it survive and spreading in mine, although very small. As I said before, emersed dwarf hair grass are harder to settle in.
Emersed type have longer relatively rigid leaves. But since someone had success with Monte Carlo, you as well can give it a try.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
John Wong is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome