L. Aromatica issue, advice needed? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (124/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
It would be interesting if it was an FE issue. Who knows. When I had the plant it had some very good color and ended up doing what Nlewis plant is doing. Apart from the color, would low FE cause it to grow that way?
From what Ive seen in my own tanks, the growth pattern is typical for many types of stem plants when something isnt right and the plant's not happy. The reason could be anything.

The aromatica is so pale is what makes me think it is Fe/micros issue. But that's just a guess.

CO2 is always the first thing one should rule out whenever something isnt right. Then

If CO2 is good, and macros are plenty, and P isnt through the roof (which can affect Fe availability/uptake, and maybe some other traces too) then by the process of elimination that leaves micros or Fe itself. Either too much of the former or not enough of the latter, IME

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
What's your groundcover. It looks amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dwarf hair grass.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Lots of stem plants do this when something isnt right. The main top stunts, stops growing and then side shoots form. It's like the plant says eff it and decides to start over.

I believe you have a fert issue, although Im not sure what it is exactly. Just going by the pics the plant looks low on Fe, it's pale with no red or pink color a all. My aromatica does this for two reasons, too much csmb, or not enough Fe.

Looks like you are dosing csmb at roughly .1 ppm Fe. That is a reasonable amount, it's too much for some people (like me) but less than a lot of people dose.

Personally I would cut that in half and add an additional form of Fe to make up the difference, or even raise it a little. No idea if this would work, it's just what I'd probably try first.

Either that or leave csmb like it is and dose additional Fe on top of it, another .05 ppm or so to begin with, or maybe .1

Or the simplest thing to try is bump csmb up a little, something like .12 or .15 ppm and see what happens. Things will either get better or worse. Go from there.

Also saw your thread on persistent BBA. To me that sounds like the tank is getting too much micros, but it could also be a number of other things.

Every tank has a sweet spot where the proverbial "light comes on." Plants perk up, the water gets clearer, and nuisance algae goes away. It's there, you just have to find it.
I'll try adding another .1ppm of fe via 10% DTPA this week and see what happens.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 07:19 PM
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Given that L. aromatica isn't that expensive, you might be better off just starting over with fresh specimens. Once the plants are in such a poor state, it could be a relatively long road to recovery even if the underlying issue is addressed. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but seems reasonable to me that the set of conditions that will suffice to nurse a sick plant to health is smaller than the one required to maintain the growth of an already strong plant, giving you a thinner margin for error based on your starting point. I think I'd scrap those stems and implement the suggestions above with prime specimens. Guess it depends how patient you are.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
Given that L. aromatica isn't that expensive, you might be better off just starting over with fresh specimens. Once the plants are in such a poor state, it could be a relatively long road to recovery even if the underlying issue is addressed. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but seems reasonable to me that the set of conditions that will suffice to nurse a sick plant to health is smaller than the one required to maintain the growth of an already strong plant, giving you a thinner margin for error based on your starting point. I think I'd scrap those stems and implement the suggestions above with prime specimens. Guess it depends how patient you are.
I would agree with you that they aren't expensive, but why buy more when the side shoots growing are healthy. They only become unhealthy after they are trimmed and replanted. I did find out today that I have some excess phosphates that may be playing a roll in he situation.

Just a noob

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just like has been said they look pale and starved. Not sure it is an excess of CSM+B though.
Leaves look a bit thin and spindley as well and in some parts like they are melting.

When I had L.Aromatica in my tank they also formed sideshots after a couple of weeks but the motherstem never stopped growing. Eventually got rid of them since they were growing to fast and a hell to maintain.
This was with a E.I and a rich TNC trace dosage.

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

At this point, I can only wish that mine will ever look like that.

Just a noob

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:08 AM
Planted Tanker

After seeing your P levels in the algae thread, I believe that is the confounding issue. When mine got that high it seemed to wipe out all the Fe, and probably had the same affect on a few other micros.

Actually had PortalMasterRY test my water with his fancy meter. A .25 ppm dose of dtpa registered .02 after about 15 hours

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
After seeing your P levels in the algae thread, I believe that is the confounding issue. When mine got that high it seemed to wipe out all the Fe, and probably had the same affect on a few other micros.

Actually had PortalMasterRY test my water with his fancy meter. A .25 ppm dose of dtpa registered .02 after about 15 hours
I found it, it was my first thread on my AR issue from back in April. Look at the test kit picture, it looks worse than now.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33...ning-here.html

Just a noob

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:24 AM
Planted Tanker

All I can say is from personal experience when P levels get that high it can cause what appears to be severe Fe deficiency, which cant be fixed simply be adding more Fe, at least not with the amounts that I was willing to try.

That's why I said this in my other post up there

Quote:
If CO2 is good, and macros are plenty, and P isnt through the roof (which can affect Fe availability/uptake, and maybe some other traces too)
But again this is purely anecdotal based on a recent personal experience, so tifwiw

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Keep us posted, I would definitely be interested if this was a P issue?
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Keep us posted, I would definitely be interested if this was a P issue?
Will, do.

Just a noob

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I got the P levels down last week and saw no change which I didn't expect to so quickly. Today I trimmed the Aromatica and planted the shoots and trashed the mother stems. This week I will be bumping fe by .1ppm via DTPA 10% and see what happens.

Just a noob

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Thanks for the update
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Alright here's my weekly update. So far so good with the Aromatica, it's growing slowly which I think is ok but I'm not sure what growth rate is considered to be(fast, slow?). The undersides of the leaves seem to be gaining a little bit of color but if I look from the top of the tank, the tops of the plant look white. I'm thinking of bumping the fe another .1ppm this week and see what happens. Are there any affects of to much iron? I mean at this point I'd only be at .4ppm fe.

Just a noob

Last edited by Nlewis; 03-08-2017 at 05:23 AM.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Hmm maybe the light just gets too choked out at the bottom...
I agree! Perhaps spacing them out more would help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode