Anubias Nana vs. Anubias Nana Petite Questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anubias Nana vs. Anubias Nana Petite Questions

I recently bought what a lfs employee told me was Anubias Nana Petite. It came in a plastic bag in some gel. There was no label on it but it was much smaller than my regular Anubias Nana plants.

Later at Petsmart shopping for cat food, I checked out their plants and saw some TopFin plants (if I remember correctly) in the same type of bag and there were Anubias Nana that looked the same size as what I just bought at the lfs. Are these TopFin Anubias Nana actually the petite version or just baby plants? And now I'm worried maybe the lfs person just sold me regular Nana and I won't know until it grows out too big in my planned aquascape.

Is there a way to tell if it's petite just by looking at how it's structured or something? Or do I need to buy new plants to hopefully ensure I have petite plants anchored on my driftwood?

Once I tie the Anubias to wood or rocks and it grabs on, can I remove it and move it somewhere else without it dying or being damaged? I've read a lot on here but am still new to all this. Don't want to make too many expensive mistakes but I'm having fear of committing to attaching the anubias and java ferns. They are fine for now in the substrate with rhizome above. Though annoying nerite and dwarf frog keep digging them up and they float all around. Ugh.

And lastly, what's a good place to get quality Anubias Nana Petite that won't have hitchhiker snails, etc. and cost a fortune?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Indigoblue,

Welcome to TPT!

Good questions! The plants you saw at your LFS and at Petsmart were both likely to be tissue cultured specimens. All tissue cultured plants start very small it is only as they mature that their true size can be determined. It is likely they were two different 'variants' of Anubias barteri. Actually there is Anubias barteri (large), Anubias barteri 'nana'(smaller), and Anubias barteri nana 'Petite'(smallest?) each one is smaller than the previous one listed. There are also some color 'variants' as well. Why the "?" after "smallest" for Anubias barteri nana 'Petite' There is some question as to if there is an Anubias barteri nana 'Micro' out there....who knows?

4+ year old Anubias barteri nana 'Petite'?

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Leaf size is a good indicator, look at older leaves not newest sprouted. Hopefully this helps.

ScrubbyDick and ScrubbyDick like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode