How to keep dwarf lily dwarf? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to keep dwarf lily dwarf?

My dwarf lily and banana plants are growing crazily high. They both send leaves floating at the water surface, more than two feet long. How can I keep the leaves short and stay in the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Assuming that your dwarf lily is something known as "Tiger Lotus" (Nymphaea zenkeri), the way to keep them looking good is to not let any of the leaves reach the surface. They send up those lily pads once in a while, and if you take them off right away, they figure they are sitting too deep for lily pads. As soon as they have one successfully floating on the surface they will continue with those long stemmed lily pads... So I guess it's too late, although you might try to remove all lily pads anyway and see if you can convince the plant to start sending out submersed leaves again.

Not sure about the banana plant...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Wasserpest.
The big lily(lotus?) has also sprouted some small branches from the same root, but these small branches seem to never grow. I am trying to cut them from the root and plant them, also I will keep in mind to cut the pads .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

On the Bannana plant I have been told if you do not plant it and just let it sit on top of the gravel it will grow more compact and will not send out the floating leaves. I have not tried this so I don't know if it works or not.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I am just let it sit on the gravel, but it sent out a lot of roots into the gravel and a lot of pads then.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry that did not work, like I said it was just something I was told and was unsure if it worked, thought I would a least try to help.

The only suggestion I can make is just keep the floaters cutoff.

Good luck

He who angers you, controls you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode