Crinkled leaves, old and new. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
When I go away on holidays (three weeks at a time), I leave premeasured packets of fish food so the tank is not overfed. I tend to make these light feedings. Light feeding helps a lot when not doing water changes. Also, clean your filter and do your water changes as mentioned before leaving. Also, I am assuming she will be able to get in touch with you if she needs help and you can walk her through what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks, my fish get barely get fed at it is, usually once every three days. I will instruct her to do the same and I will turn my lighting down from 45% to 25%.

On the BGA front: I am 100% that it is caused by high organics due to the decaying hair algae that the algaefix killed, the BGA only grows on surfaces with plenty of dead material atached. I am removing all my HC, and trimming all leaves with excessive rotting matter attached. I also found some Tetracycline at the local LFS and I will do a 4 day cycle with it followed by the final WC and insert a carbon pad into the filter. Hopefully this will stop any reoccurrence while I am gone.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:18 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
What is the tetracycline for? Tetracycline will not help the plants better not to use it.

Zapins

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
What is the tetracycline for? Tetracycline will not help the plants better not to use it.

Its to kill the Cyanobacteria thats starting to take off in my tank, I am using it as a last resort because I can't risk having it explode into a blue green swamp while I am gone. E-Mycin it hard to get hold of here.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
BGA is due to excess nutrients. The term "organics" should not be used since this is just another term for nutrients. Do a 200% WC to reduce nutrient concentrations and this will reduce the BGA.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have done 6 60-80% WC in two weeks. By organics I was referring to decaying organic material. The original occurrence was due to zero nitrate. Now the Bga only appears on surfaces with rotting dead algae from a massive hair algae outbreak. I went in yesterday and removed every single leaf with any sign of algae or damage and thoroughly vac the gravel.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:04 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
BGA is not related to no nitrates. It's just a correlation, not causal. No N results in no growth, which results in no nutrient uptake, which means plenty for BGA.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, that makes sense. I was curious how people N starve their red plants without bringing it on.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So it's been a week since I started dosing Micro again and now the new growth on my Hygrophilia sunset and one other plant is white. Not all white leaves just half the leaf, the half from on the stem side and green tipped. Any idea what cause cause it?
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The white leaves are now dying, growth has stopped, red leaves have turned dark green and look sick, one leaf is purple, one set of red plants has turned deep brown.

My older leaves are not turning yellow so I don't believe its lack of N, which I can't test as I am 3600km from my tank. Zapins says it's not micro toxicity, Diana says it is. Can anyone offer another opinion or +1 on the above list?
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
How about a few new photos when you can next? Its been quite a few weeks and whatever the issue was has probably matured into a more recognizable problem.

Also, keep in mind it might be an additional new problem that has started since you went away.

Zapins
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Let's go back to the beginning, from your original post -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok178 View Post
G'Day,

The only thing that helped was a 80%WC. Within 2 days I had a huge growth spurt and healthier stem plant leaves but now on day 3 things seen to be getting worse again.
The logical deduction here is that there is too much of something.

.7 csmb/week is still a whopping amount for a lot of people. If I go much over .05 or .07 3x week I experience toxicity symptoms. Certain species immediately twist and curl, droop, lose color, etc This is for a heavily planted 75 gallon tank, 110 PAR at the sub, and a 1.3 PH drop from CO2. I also add an additional .15 or so ppm Fe from a combination of dtpa and gluconate - 3x week.

Not trying to get into a toxicity debate, just sharing my particular case, which Ive spent the better part of a year and a half figuring out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Let's go back to the beginning, from your original post -

The logical deduction here is that there is too much of something.

.7 csmb/week is still a whopping amount for a lot of people. If I go much over .05 or .07 3x week I experience toxicity symptoms. Certain species immediately twist and curl, droop, lose color, etc This is for a heavily planted 75 gallon tank, 110 PAR at the sub, and a 1.3 PH drop from CO2. I also add an additional .15 or so ppm Fe from a combination of dtpa and gluconate - 3x week.

Not trying to get into a toxicity debate, just sharing my particular case, which Ive spent the better part of a year and a half figuring out.

Burr, do you have soft water?
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:51 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
Burr, do you have soft water?
Moderate I'd say, 5-6 KH, GH is 50 ppm Ca, ~5 Mg, w/another 5-10 Mg added at water changes. 100% tap, Sub is inert sand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The hygro was just starting to go white when I left but I wanted to wait and see what would happen so I let it go.

Burr your list "Certain species immediately twist and curl, droop, lose color," has summed up every problem I have had with it. I should say that my CSMB is not actually CSMB, but a copy that my local plant guy gets special made. He said it should be exactly the same though.

Last night the person looking after my tank said it is getting worse so I told them to cut away all micros and trim off the white tips from the affected plants so I can see if anything changes.

Here are the photos, sorry for the quality I got them through SMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE_14.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	603505  

Name:	SAVE_16.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	603513  

Name:	SAVE_12.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	603521  

Name:	SAVE_13.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	603529  

Name:	SAVE_11.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	603537  

Name:	SAVE_15.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	603545  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode