The Planted Tank Forum banner

PVC CO2 Manifold

14K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  flight50 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I use 100% glycerin in all 8 of my bubble counters......DC

#7 ·
The PVC was drilled and tapped, only ran tap half in to get a tighter seal with the needle valve. Threads are coated with loctite at almost all my CO2 connections. Haven't had any leaks since I started using loctite.....DC

I'd be concerned with leaks... How exactly did you connect the bubble counters to the pvc pipe?

#12 ·
I got my glycerin at Kroger in the First Aid aisle. AquaticMagic has Bubble counter/needle valves.......DC

#13 ·
Water doesn't evaporate from bubble counters. I have a DIY bubble counter here at the house that has been going for over 3 years. It might have dropped a couple of mm in water depth in that time.

Look closely at your bubble counter. Ask where the water is going. It's not evaporating. The only exception to this would be if the bubble counter is mounted on a all-in-one and the solenoid is heating up the water to the point it is evaporating.

#18 ·
Day 1 looked good. I have it connected to two 10 gallons, a 20 long, and a 29 gallon so bubble rates are different (here are some pics of the setup). I know, I know, I will clean up the wire nest.

The reason I made this manifold is to try for some consistency, since the tanks are different sizes and stacked they were getting very inconsistent CO2 rates using splitters, whichever tank had the least resistance got all the CO2 and it could change from tank to tank, day to day. This manifold will stay consistently pressurized allowing each needle valve to have equal pressure at their input. I am hoping this works so I can use the concept on a 7-10 tank rack soon......DC

#20 ·
I made 4 different ones, they all worked fine for me. How many tanks are you trying to connect?.......DC

#22 ·
That is what I would have done for three tanks, I went with a splitter for 2 tanks myself recently. I like those needle valve/bubble counters in your link, they can leak under high pressure so leak check when you hook them up. Seems the pvc manifold works best with 4 or more tanks, I am running a 6 port in the fish room since I downsized.....DC

#24 ·
Lol, bringing this one back from a longgggg hibernation. I was doing a google search and came upon this thread from our beloved forum. Has anyone else gone out a limb and tried this. If so, how is it holding up still. Anything you would do differently or any problems faced before you perfected it. I would like to diy a manifold for a 5 tank sump setup and it would be nice to use co2 efficiently.

#25 ·
I don't see a good reason to build a PVC manifold when you can buy a much stronger, more attractive and more compact aluminum one for under 12 dollars. Search air manifold on amazon and there are lots of options for under 12, some with free shipping. I know several local strores that sell them for the same price.

#28 · (Edited)
I never said anything about there being needle valves included. Just like this diy manifold, you would have to install your own needle valves. A manifold is just a block of metal with threaded holes in it, just like the diy pvc one. You could split it to 10 tanks and you should still have equal pressure going to each needle valve, you just have to use a high enough working pressure. I'm gonna assume that anything from 30-50 psi would be enough. If you use something like 5-10 psi there might be a problem. You gotta realize that the overall flow rate of CO2 split to 10 tanks still isn't all that high. Being more attractive is an added bonus, but overall I think you'll still come out cheaper or at least close enough that it isn't worth the effort to buy the pvc parts, cement it, and then tap it.

You must be confusing an air manifold for an aquarium gang valve. What I'm talking about is made to be used with a compressor and air tools.

#29 ·
Gottcha. I originally looked on amazon and got poor results. I just now went over to ebay and yes I agree they are more attractive, smaller and already threaded. I am sure back when this thread started, this pvc diy was a great idea. Thanks for the insight though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.