The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Schultz aquatic plant soil. Questions.
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
fome

PTrader: (1/100%)
Schultz aquatic plant soil. Questions.

Hullo all. I'm having some difficulty finding substrates for my price range.

The cheapest substrate I've found is schultz aquatic soil in a local Home Depot, which sells 10 lb bags for just over 6$. I've heard a lot of conflicting information about this guy, that it has a higher iron content and CEC than fluorite, that it grows plants well, that it grows them horribly, that it's very fertile, that it's devoid of nutrients... well you get my point.

I've looked at countless substrate comparisons but the most detailed and scientific ones generally just look at laterite/sand/garden soil/gravel compositions instead of the most popular commercial products. The most consistent bit of information seems to be that it is incredibly light, but I can deal with that.

My first question: should I get it? at 6$ a bag, there isn't much risk involved except for the time of setup.

My second question: should I enrich it? I've heard that people put a small layer of peat moss at the bottom. Also, I already have a bag of laterite which I could put in there if the substrate is indeed devoid of nutrients (specifically iron).

Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome