The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Soilmaster Select concerns
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
JustOneMore21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Soilmaster Select concerns

I am planning a high tech 38g tank and I'm researching my options now for substrate.

I planned on using Eco Complete for substrate because I have it in my 55g and love it. But I know there is a Lesco dealer about 15 miles from here and I am interested to know if they sell Soilmaster. For one, it would only cost about $16 for a big bag to use in the 38g and my 29g (which I want to change the substrate in). Also, I want a dark substrate, so my options are fairly limited. I'd like to be cost effective, but I was willing to buy the Eco.

Anyways...the reason for my post is my concerns about the Soilmaster. I've heard many good things about it, but I'm worried about it being light weight. I would like to have a nice foreground plant like HC in this tank because it will be my only high light CO2 injected tank. I've read a few posts about the SS being too light to hold down the HC though.

Has everyone had this problem?

I could possibly choose another foreground option that fits the lighting, but I'm just wondering if the SS being light would be a problem with any small foreground plants (HC, glosso....).

I'd like to choose a substrate that will correlate with my plant choices.

Can anyone offer some advice on the SS? What have your experiences been?

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome